Sterilizing equipment

Discuss safety issues here.

Sterilizing equipment

Postby Sparrow » Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am

How do people here do it?

I was reading online and as surprised to see things like bleach and chlorine ad recommendations for sterilizing equipment. Does anyone here use anything less detrimental to human health? :razz:
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Re: Sterilizing equipment

Postby Doubleuj » Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 am

no real need in our game compared to beer making.
i dont bother anymore but if you want to then napisan or Starsan mixed in a spray bottle is the go.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumsponge » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 am

:text-+1:

I still use bleach occasionally on very manky fermenters . A good rinse with tap water afterwards is fine. Look at it this way, if the yeasts survive in your ferment, then there is probably not much steriziling agent around (both chlorine and bleach arent terribly stable either). if you are worried, then you shouldnt really drink tap water (or cook with it) which is chlorinated in most of Australia.
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby seehuusen » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 am

Hey mate,

I've used a phosphoric acid based sanitizer for beer brewing for years, without any infection issue. I will continue to do so for these types of ferments too.

Having said that, some of the pitch rates suggested in the recipes for distilling, would out perform any other bugs quick smart. So the above less stringent cleaning procedures would most likely suffice :)

Cheers
seehuusen

equipment: 50L 2" Full Copper Pot Still. Thumper in the planning.

Postby warramungas » Wed May 31, 2017 10:10 am

Sodium metabisulphate. Harkens back to my beer brewing days. Use it on all my fermenters before I put a fresh wash in it. Most of mine are stored in a shed so a quick sterilize cant hurt.
Most, if not all, of these products can be harmful in concentrations but when used as recommended they shouldn't be a problem.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sparrow » Wed May 31, 2017 11:07 am

rumsponge wrote:

:text-+1:

I still use bleach occasionally on very manky fermenters . A good rinse with tap water afterwards is fine. Look at it this way, if the yeasts survive in your ferment, then there is probably not much steriziling agent around (both chlorine and bleach arent terribly stable either). if you are worried, then you shouldnt really drink tap water (or cook with it) which is chlorinated in most of Australia.

I learnt from a bloke working in water quality "when you treat water for drinking it becomes carcinogenic. The trick is to minimise how badly".
Sparrow

Postby krusey » Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 pm

i use boiling water it kills everything and ive never had any issue
krusey

equipment: 3 inch VM still on a 50 litre beer keg boiler, and a 25 litre essensia hbs reflux CM style rig

Postby seehuusen » Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 pm

krusey wrote:i use boiling water it kills everything and ive never had any issue

Just adding to this, as there is a misconception around boiling water and sterilization.
For medical grade sterilization, the boil has to happen for at least 20 minutes.
For baby bottles etc, the generally accepted length is minimum 2 minutes, I doubt it does anything more than sanitize.

When doing yeast captures for beers, it is recommended to go a step further and use a pressure cooker, as these will provide an even higher temperature than boiling water. 15 minutes minimum under full pressure...
seehuusen

equipment: 50L 2" Full Copper Pot Still. Thumper in the planning.

Postby Triangle » Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Sodium metabisulphate as well.

Mixed up in a spray bottle will keep for a couple of weeks (for small items/funnels/test equipment etc). Containers I make up 4lt or so. Relying on the SO2 gas given off so needs time.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Fishleg » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

krusey wrote:i use boiling water it kills everything and ive never had any issue

:text-+1: I also only use boiling water even back when I was doing a lot of beer. Never had a problem. And if I empty a fermenter and fill it again within short period of time just a quick rinse
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby Plumby » Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 pm

I use to be very fussy about sanitation when I was brewing beer, i would spray everything that I was using on brew/bottling day with starsan and I use to soak all my fermenters with nappy san for 24 hours after emptying them, then a rub with a dishcloth and a hot water rinse. Since taking up distilling I haven't worried so much, a rub with a dishcloth and a hot water rinse is all I do now, as long as everything is clean I'm happy. If you start doing washes that require generations you won't be able to sterilize between generations.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby jaypes » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm

StarSan is great and much better than just plain phosphoric acid. It has more foaming properties/ingredients to make the contact time less for sanitisation

I usually pick mine up from CraftBrewer in QLD and lasts for ages

Just keep it away from granite bench tops!
jaypes

equipment: 2" Potty

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 pm

jaypes wrote:StarSan is great

Just keep it away from granite bench tops!

Why :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 pm

What does it do to granite????
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby jaypes » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 pm

It started to eat it away. Have a bit of a rough patch on what was a pristinely shiny bench
jaypes

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Dam :angry-banghead: whats in it? I think i would rather rinse with the hose if that eats granite..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

I have seen a moldy pear eat through the same sort of thing, wasn't true granite more a concrete slab with a weird covering on it, looked like granite tho :?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jaypes » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

It's a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid which can etch granite. This was undiluted though in my case
jaypes

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Put my first tpw on Wednesday after a clean out of the fermenter with boiling water. They're happily chugging away at the moment.

Next challenge will he actually running the still for the first time. After my vinegar run I'll run one tpw as a sac run but use it as practice for getting the swing of things and practicing cuts. Fingers crossed :pray:
Sparrow

Postby Tin chucker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 am

I use only hot tap water to rinse fermenters once after a ferment and just before. Never a problem
I do the same for wine ,I don’t use any of the chemicals for wine , the only additive I use is time
I use vinegar to clean my ss still to rid the water or shine of the metal taste. I make distilled water before any spirit run to clean out vinegar ,steam for 1/2 hr then collect water. if it tastes great I do the spirit run. I’ve also used the same vinegar for almost a year now. It keeps getting more watered down but as long as I can smell vinegar it’s good. Above my primary condenser ,I plug end and fill with vinegar for 24 hrs.then rinse and run. I’m not sure if this is overboard but I have not had a metal tasting run since I started this ritual. The distilled water is my canary in a coal mine ,if it’s not good the run does not happen.
Tin chucker

equipment: 15 gal beer keg with 2” Triclamp reflux column

Next

Return to Safety Discussion