Bulk essence

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Bulk essence

Postby Bundaboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Has anyone tried the bulk essences available on ebay?

In particular this one here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCOTTISH-LEG ... 2313108451

The seller has the distinction of having 100% positive feedback, but a sizeable investment if it turns out to be "not your bag".
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Re: Bulk essence

Postby freebeertomorrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I went for the slightly cheaper option of $30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tennessee-Wh ... 2749.l2649

Ebay feedback for this seller is stellar at 100%

Postage was lightening fast and after speaking to the seller on the phone the morning after I made the purchase she kindly included a few other extra samples for me to try as well.

I hope the taste is as good and as close to JD as the feedback suggests.
freebeertomorrow

equipment: Turbo Air Still

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Good luck fella's :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Essence's can be a bit hit and miss. Hope you find a winner :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby freebeertomorrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Good luck fella's :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Essence's can be a bit hit and miss. Hope you find a winner :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks Woodsy, my spirit neutral is airing at the moment but I will be making my cuts tomorrow after work and mixing up my bourbon essence.

I'll post back here with my findings on how close it is to JD after it's been throughly tested :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
freebeertomorrow

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Awesome mate!

It's been a while between essence's, but it's worth remembering that 8 to 10 days can make a difference to a bottle of neutral mixed with essence :smile:

Flavours do take time to settle and blend.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby warramungas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Tried a couple of samples of these before definitely a miss. But it may be to your taste.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby freebeertomorrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

warramungas wrote:Tried a couple of samples of these before definitely a miss. But it may be to your taste.

Both of these?

:angry-banghead: don't tell me I've done my $30 :))

Fingers crossed it's better than the SS bourbon that came with my Still.
freebeertomorrow

Postby Lowie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 am

I've got a bunch of hbs essence for sale if you're interested. Head over to the for sale section. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby warramungas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 am

freebeertomorrow wrote:
warramungas wrote:Tried a couple of samples of these before definitely a miss. But it may be to your taste.

Both of these?

:angry-banghead: don't tell me I've done my $30 :))

Fingers crossed it's better than the SS bourbon that came with my Still.

Well I messaged them and asked if i could buy a couple of small sample bottles and she sent me a couple of the bourbons in tiny bottles of about 25 or 30 ml. Enough for a liter or so. I wasn't a fan but you might be.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Peregian » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:20 pm

For the first time ever I tried this.................

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KENTUCKY-BLU ... 1438.l2649

I had run out of all grain due to selling our house and purchasing another so making up a good neutral was the quickest way to go.
When I made up the essence I used a 2 liter Ball Mason jar, dropped in some oak dominoes put it under vacuum and gave it 2 weeks in the garage window heating up during the day and cooling at night.

Have a glass each evening and it seems to be a reasonable drop, it has developed a bit of a sweet taste but this may be due to the oak being soaked for many months in 3 jars, Madeira, Sweet Sherry and Shiraz, got this idea from "The Doctor".

My verdict is that it's OK but no substitute for the real thing, even a very average all grain would be better.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby freebeertomorrow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 pm

freebeertomorrow wrote:I went for the slightly cheaper option of $30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tennessee-Wh ... 2749.l2649

Ebay feedback for this seller is stellar at 100%

Postage was lightening fast and after speaking to the seller on the phone the morning after I made the purchase she kindly included a few other extra samples for me to try as well.

I hope the taste is as good and as close to JD as the feedback suggests.

Ok, so I've now had the opportunity to sample a few glasses using the above linked to essence - The neutral and the essence have really only just introduced themselves to each other so I'll reserve my final judgement for a week or so until they get better acquainted :laughing-rolling:

The colour of the spirit using the recommended mixing ratio makes it look closer to coke than bourbon. It's sweet but not to the point of overdoing it.

Does it taste like JD, no but I can see that the flavour is getting there but is not quite there yet.

It's not unpleasant but at this stage I think I will be alternating between a bottle of this and my usual Still Spirits Classic Tennessee Bourbon.
freebeertomorrow

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks guys, looks like I will have to do a trial and error test, so I will order this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiskey-Spir ... SwLF1X4kJE
Tomorrow and will report back.
Bundaboy

Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby freebeertomorrow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Bundaboy wrote:Thanks guys, looks like I will have to do a trial and error test, so I will order this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiskey-Spir ... SwLF1X4kJE
Tomorrow and will report back.

I got a sample of that but haven't made it up yet.

Please let us know what you think.
freebeertomorrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Let it sit and periodically air out a bit. I've used the tenesse whiskey cordial (have some at the moment). It took a couple of weeks before it was drinkable, I added a shot of maple syrup to 1 litre of 40% and found that added a nice flavour note.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Grrrr ordered on the 5th, sent on the 5th, received by Oz post on the 5th

Still not here on the 13th - bloody Oz Post :handgestures-thumbdown:
Bundaboy

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Finally received it after Annie chased up Oz Post (the good thing about tracking is you know who is at fault, it's a shame that small business has to put up with things like this).

Well I couldn't wait to try it so following the instructions on how much per litre made up a ~750ml batch and had a taste (yes straight away) - the good news is it tasted just like one of Still Spirits whisky essences (alas I can't remember which either Top Shelf Scotch Whisky or Classic Whiskey), the bad news is I don't like that particular one.

HOWEVER! after experimenting a bit I found you don't need the amount they recommend, cutting it back to about half gets rid of the sharp astringency (which some people LOVE) and, unless it's my imagination, it ages quickly and well in the bottle.

This is NOT a single malt style (my preference), it's a blended whisky style, but quite enjoyable, and to be honest, I have a glass of it in front of me right now and you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. It has been made with neutral bang in the middle of my FFV hearts collection (unfiltered) however.

I wouldn't recommend it to a Bourbon (no expert there - don't like it) or single malt only person, but as a blended style quaffer it'll do me.

The way I am using it it adds ~$1.50 to a litre of whisky, and that will reduce by buying in higher quantities.
Bundaboy

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Bundaboy wrote:Finally received it after Annie chased up Oz Post (the good thing about tracking is you know who is at fault, it's a shame that small business has to put up with things like this).

Well I couldn't wait to try it so following the instructions on how much per litre made up a ~750ml batch and had a taste (yes straight away) - the good news is it tasted just like one of Still Spirits whisky essences (alas I can't remember which either Top Shelf Scotch Whisky or Classic Whiskey), the bad news is I don't like that particular one.

HOWEVER! after experimenting a bit I found you don't need the amount they recommend, cutting it back to about half gets rid of the sharp astringency (which some people LOVE) and, unless it's my imagination, it ages quickly and well in the bottle.

This is NOT a single malt style (my preference), it's a blended whisky style, but quite enjoyable, and to be honest, I have a glass of it in front of me right now and you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. It has been made with neutral bang in the middle of my FFV hearts collection (unfiltered) however.

I wouldn't recommend it to a Bourbon (no expert there - don't like it) or single malt only person, but as a blended style quaffer it'll do me.

The way I am using it it adds ~$1.50 to a litre of whisky, and that will reduce by buying in higher quantities.

Have you tried the Tennessee whiskey before does it taste like still spirits one
Coolabah

equipment: Nothing useful

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Coolabah wrote:Have you tried the Tennessee whiskey before does it taste like still spirits one

Alas I can't help you with that one, generally I am not a fan of stateside whisk(e)ys and whilst I'll try anything once I am too mean to risk wasting the hard earned on something I am likely to not enjoy. Having said that, so many on this forum and elsewhere seem to enjoy them so perhaps I should revisit the issue.

Personally, given my own experiences with the supplier, and the reviews others have given for the Tennessee whiskey I would be inclined to recommend you give it a go, even if it isn't like the Still Spirits version I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

One thing I discovered with the stuff I get is that I use about half of the recommended dilution so it is even more economical.

If you do try it, please be sure to let us know what it's like.

Cheers.
Bundaboy

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Damn, my bulk essence supplier is in Queensland and my latest purchase is stuck in Oz Post who indicate hefty delays due to covid-19.

Does anyone know of a Sydney or NSW supplier?
Last edited by Bundaboy on Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bundaboy

Postby fox » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

Bundaboy wrote:Damn, my bulk essence supplier is in Queensland and my latest purchase is stuck in Oz Post who indicate hefty delays due to covid-19.

Does anyone know of a Sydney or NSW supplier?

Hey Bundaboy, have your tried this single malt one from the same supplier? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRAINGE-Single-Malt-Whisky-450ml-Spirit-Essence-Quality-Bulk-Home-Brew-Flavoring/302313108447?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D7ed58b16848b434fbd03a86ac03f3ac9%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D302313108451%26itm%3D302313108447%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I'm just starting the craft so looking for a nice single malt or blend. Buying the individual bottles really does add to the overall cost of the bottle. Cheers
fox

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux (for now anyway)
2 x 30L Fermenters

Next

Return to Essences