Agitator

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Agitator

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:54 pm

A new boiler is in the future, working out the options. Looked into steam and now looking into an agitator as an alternative :confusion-shrug: I run on a 4ring burner so either is looking good. This will be my dedicated boiler for bourbon, mash, ferment and distill in boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft: What type of seals are used and where to get them from? Mechanical, gland or other? Would these be any good https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3559/=189asd0 as they seem ok or has someone used something else?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Re: Agitator

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Why agitate a boiler? I cannot possibly see the benefit. It doesn't increase the heat and the natural convection of hot vs colder liquid will agitate itself, imho :-B
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Why agitate a boiler? I cannot possibly see the benefit. It doesn't increase the heat and the natural convection of hot vs colder liquid will agitate itself, imho :-B

It's so I can do all grain without straining :-B
Wobblyboot

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm only spitballing but agitating boilers removes any temperature gradients and should allow faster heat up time in an insulated or steam jacket boiler. Probably not so much with a hobby boiler.
I don't think even the big boys distill on the grain. Or are you talking about mashing?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:Why agitate a boiler? I cannot possibly see the benefit. It doesn't increase the heat and the natural convection of hot vs colder liquid will agitate itself, imho :-B

So pour the whole mash into the boiler grain and all and the agitation stops the grain from settling down and burning?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Doubleuj wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:

So pour the whole mash into the boiler grain and all and the agitation stops the grain from settling down and burning?

Exactly :handgestures-thumbupleft: but for me as a non-rum drinking bourbon or whiskey man, I'd like it for corn mainly :dance:
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:will be my dedicated boiler for bourbon, mash, ferment and distill in boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I get what you want to do but I don't reckon there is anyone that even does this commercially :think:

Not saying it can't be done but I reckon it would be quite involved and like what you linked to you are going to have to have some good seals of some sort I would imagine to have a mechanical drive on it.

How about a false bottom in it for the grain to stop touching the bottom for flame or element?

Also I would put an overpressure valve in the top of the still in case of a nasty puke ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Heat it high up in the boiler rather than the bottom :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Sam. wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:will be my dedicated boiler for bourbon, mash, ferment and distill in boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I get what you want to do but I don't reckon there is anyone that even does this commercially :think:

Not saying it can't be done but I reckon it would be quite involved and like what you linked to you are going to have to have some good seals of some sort I would imagine to have a mechanical drive on it.

How about a false bottom in it for the grain to stop touching the bottom for flame or element?

Also I would put an overpressure valve in the top of the still in case of a nasty puke ;-)

The floured grain would go straight thru a false bottom. I'd put a 3 or 4 plate 4" bubbler over it.
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:50 pm

bluc wrote:Heat it high up in the boiler rather than the bottom :think:

4 ring burner only heats it up at bottom :teasing-tease:
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

So how are you planning on making the agitator :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Sam. wrote:So how are you planning on making the agitator :-B

Only a very vague plan so far...240v motor, a shaft, some kind of seal, some input from the very intelligent fellas in this place :D
Wobblyboot

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
bluc wrote:Heat it high up in the boiler rather than the bottom :think:

4 ring burner only heats it up at bottom :teasing-tease:

Unless you cut a hole through middle weld in a pipe then make a custom burner..or put in an electrical element.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 pm

I would assume you would need either a blade configuration sweeping near the bottom or a "rummager" chain like some big scottish outfits use.

Are you planning on using the agitator for mashing as well?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Sam. wrote:I would assume you would need either a blade configuration sweeping near the bottom or a "rummager" chain like some big scottish outfits use.

Are you planning on using the agitator for mashing as well?

Planning on it being more like a blade but for mashing as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby Minpac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm

I think it would be more manageable to create a jacketed boiler to make it indirect heat than deal with alcohol vapour getting into a drive system.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Minpac wrote:I think it would be more manageable to create a jacketed boiler to make it indirect heat than deal with alcohol vapour getting into a drive system.

It may be but this isn't what it's about.
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
Minpac wrote:I think it would be more manageable to create a jacketed boiler to make it indirect heat than deal with alcohol vapour getting into a drive system.

:text-+1: I would like to see what ideas can be had from this :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Sam. wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:

:text-+1: I would like to see what ideas can be had from this :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: :text-+1: so am I, if it can be done safely, with no vapour leak it could be a winner.
What if you had a double seal? One seal on the wall of the boiler and then an "element guard" type protrusion and another seal?
Would over heating the corn/ grain give any off flavours?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 am

Sam. wrote:

This is exactly what I'm trying to set up aswell wobbly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I think you will find that most commercial bourbon makers use an agitator with there stripping still,if you goggle search still boiler agitator you will find plenty of setups ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.