TIG welding copper?

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

TIG welding copper?

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 am

I've not welded copper before but ive read that its simmilar to aluminum, so i want to ask what type of filler rod do you all use for a copper still?
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Re: TIG welding copper?

Postby bayshine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 am

I'm not sure what you are supposed to use, but I've had total success using tig and silver braze for copper to copper and also copper to brass :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:36 am

Can't say I've ever Tig welded copper. Most of the guys here (including myself) silver solder - often referred to as "hard soldering" (for joints requiring strength) and soft solder (must be lead free solder too) for other joints. Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bayshine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am

Lowie wrote:Can't say I've ever Tig welded copper. Most of the guys here (including myself) silver solder - often referred to as "hard soldering" (for joints requiring strength) and soft solder (must be lead free solder too) for other joints. Cheers.

Myself being a tig welder for a living and having a tig at home,find that the tigged silver brazed welds to be much neater and have a lot more control and reinforcement than when brazing. Is also great for tacking up joints, to keep them square in preparation for soft soldering :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby Lowie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Now you're just showing off Bayshine :teasing-neener:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby scythe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Do you run helium as a sheilding gas like they suggest bayshine?

Also clean copper wire can be used.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Fireplace01 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 pm

According to the book, use helium or Avon helium
Mix and use purge has or backing, but like everything horses for courses, silicone bronze filler and pure argon will come up nice as well
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 pm

When I tig welded my bubbler I just used polished up copper wire as the filler and found one needs heaps of amps to get the pool flowing.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:01 pm

bayshine wrote:Myself being a tig welder for a living and having a tig at home,find that the tigged silver brazed welds to be much neater and have a lot more control and reinforcement than when brazing. Is also great for tacking up joints, to keep them square in preparation for soft soldering :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ah cool thanks for the info bayshine. Do you weld it in AC or DC?
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby bayshine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:34 pm

With the silver braze and copper and or brass, just use a flap disc to clean all surfaces to be welded
I just use argon and definitely no flux
You don't need to melt the copper and or brass (parent metal)into the weld pool,like with normal tig, but just feed the silver braze wire Into the arc around what ever you want to glue together, it has a low melting point and beads up nice and fast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I have found straight butt joints welded in pipe and then ground flush to still have great strength and not fail.
You can get the odd pin hole from time to time but these are easily fixed up with the tig :happy-partydance:

Oh and only tried it on dc, can't imagine ac working to well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby rash » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 pm

i had a go at TIGing some copper on an element guard the other day. Went well, using an AC tig and pure argon. I found that I had to lean the torch over on a larger angle and push the pool along, otherwise the pool would start bubbling and spitting. Used some copper wire from some electrical cable to fill where needed, but mainly just fused the parent metals together.

eg1.jpg

Ash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby Lowie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 pm

bayshine wrote:
Lowie wrote:Can't say I've ever Tig welded copper. Most of the guys here (including myself) silver solder - often referred to as "hard soldering" (for joints requiring strength) and soft solder (must be lead free solder too) for other joints. Cheers.

Myself being a tig welder for a living and having a tig at home,find that the tigged silver brazed welds to be much neater and have a lot more control and reinforcement than when brazing. Is also great for tacking up joints, to keep them square in preparation for soft soldering :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So, Bayshine, you're using the standard silver solder stick to tig weld copper? If that's the case, I might give it a bash next time I make some easy flanges. I go through a shit load of oxy usually so keen to try something different. I've got a scratch start tig which I use for stainless.
Lowie

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Lowie wrote:
bayshine wrote:

So, Bayshine, you're using the standard silver solder stick to tig weld copper? If that's the case, I might give it a bash next time I make some easy flanges. I go through a shit load of oxy usually so keen to try something different. I've got a scratch start tig which I use for stainless.

Ah well if its silver solder, I wonder if the different percentages make any difference? or would it not due to the higher heat of the arc...?
scottyd72

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 pm

rash wrote:i had a go at TIGing some copper on an element guard the other day. Went well, using an AC tig and pure argon. I found that I had to lean the torch over on a larger angle and push the pool along, otherwise the pool would start bubbling and spitting. Used some copper wire from some electrical cable to fill where needed, but mainly just fused the parent metals together.

eg1.jpg

Ash

ah nice to hear. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What amperage did you run it at?
scottyd72

Postby rash » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 am

scottyd72 wrote:
rash wrote:i had a go at TIGing some copper on an element guard the other day. Went well, using an AC tig and pure argon. I found that I had to lean the torch over on a larger angle and push the pool along, otherwise the pool would start bubbling and spitting. Used some copper wire from some electrical cable to fill where needed, but mainly just fused the parent metals together.

eg1.jpg

Ash

ah nice to hear. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What amperage did you run it at?

Pretty sure i had it at around 50amps.
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 am

I wasn't using silver solder, but was silver braze :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The stuff that work had lent me(cough) was called silbraze cadmium free but I can't remember which one as they have a couple with different silver content :think:
bayshine

Postby Lowie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

bayshine wrote:I wasn't using silver solder, but was silver braze :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The stuff that work had lent me(cough) was called silbraze cadmium free but I can't remember which one as they have a couple with different silver content :think:

Roger. Love it when your boss lends you stuff, particularly when it's not a boomerang! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

Postby scottyd72 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 pm

bayshine wrote:I wasn't using silver solder, but was silver braze :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oh nice, I was watching a utube vid by weld.com onTIG Brazing and 'Mr Tig' was using silicone bronze rods for tig brazing copper to SS.
scottyd72

Postby Lowie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:03 pm

If you want to have a crack at tig welding mate, have a look at the inverter welders (essentialy an arc welder that you convert to a tig), they are scratch start but once you get the hang of them, piece of piss. That's what I use anyway. Most expensive part is the gas...
Lowie

Postby scottyd72 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Lowie wrote:If you want to have a crack at tig welding mate, have a look at the inverter welders (essentialy an arc welder that you convert to a tig), they are scratch start but once you get the hang of them, piece of piss. That's what I use anyway. Most expensive part is the gas...

Yep ta, i plan on buying a cigweld DC inverter 180amp scratch tig machine this weekend. Sydney tools have them for a reasonable price for what i can find.
scottyd72

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench