Unusual Foods

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Re: Unusual Foods

Postby Kenster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Tas, bird looks the goods mate.. trick is... get a really young one.(i know, we would all like a really young one...) Bet the flavour was nice though. We have chooks and they dont taste like the shop ones.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Just remembered, my mum used to soak (gamey) meat in salty water for a couple/three days in the fridge with a clove or two of garlic in the water. The salt would draw off the blood a bit and the garlic just penetrated nicely. Wild rabbit, made em real tender.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 pm

One of the best feeds I've had was a kangaroo joey not long out of the pouch, whole thing dressed and slow roasted in a wood fire oven. There wasn't that much meat on it but what was there was beautiful and light, not tough or gamey like some kangaroo can be.
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Like kangaroo veal
Fishleg

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm

We used to pay $8 for a dressed sheep out west when i was in primary school. A family friend used to butcher them for couple cuts of meet..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 pm

bluc wrote:We used to pay $8 for a dressed sheep out west when i was in primary school. A family friend used to butcher them for couple cuts of meet..

Not sure if I want to ask how old you are....... :teasing-neener:

But yeah that has been times when lamb was worth nothing, you pay more than that a kilo now for the worst cuts :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm

The father inlaw has a sweet set up for Lamb, takes us less than 10 minutes to gently put it to sleep :laughing-rolling: then dress it. We hang them for a month or so, another 20 minutes for 2 of us to butcher :teasing-neener: We eat 3 a year and the rest goes to the other family members. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 pm

TasSpirits wrote:The father inlaw has a sweet set up for Lamb, takes us less than 10 minutes to gently put it to sleep :laughing-rolling: then dress it. We hang them for a month or so, another 20 minutes for 2 of us to butcher :teasing-neener: We eat 3 a year and the rest goes to the other family members. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A month or so? :wtf:

Never heard of that long :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 pm

They are in tassie one of the worlds biggest freezers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Ah, that makes sense in a freezer ;-)

Don't reckon you could call that "fresh" though?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Sam. wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:The father inlaw has a sweet set up for Lamb, takes us less than 10 minutes to gently put it to sleep :laughing-rolling: then dress it. We hang them for a month or so, another 20 minutes for 2 of us to butcher :teasing-neener: We eat 3 a year and the rest goes to the other family members. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A month or so? :wtf:

Never heard of that long :think:

Down here its like keeping it in your fridge, maybe freezer depending on the year. When we first moved down here and knocked off a few lambs, I put a temp gauge with a data logger in the kill shed. Im a chef by trade and had some reservations, never got above 3' for 7 weeks straight :handgestures-thumbdown:
Works wonder for the home kill though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Tried fresh back in NZ a few times, not great, that was in Hangis though :think:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Isnt aged meat a thing now cant think of what its called...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm

bluc wrote:Isnt aged meat a thing now cant think of what its called...

Dry aging, totally different :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Sam. wrote:
bluc wrote:We used to pay $8 for a dressed sheep out west when i was in primary school. A family friend used to butcher them for couple cuts of meet..

Not sure if I want to ask how old you are....... :teasing-neener:

But yeah that has been times when lamb was worth nothing, you pay more than that a kilo now for the worst cuts :-B

Ha not wrong you'd be lucky to get a single shank now for $8, last full lamb I bought for spit roast cost me $100!

How old are u bluc ?? About 200?

Sorry couldn't resist, feeling a bit jaded about age. Had a young fella guess my age at "about 45" recently.............
I'm 32 :angry-banghead:
Fishleg

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Your pretty close at 45 :teasing-neener: but dang that aint old :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 am

You're only as old as you let yourself feel
Fishleg

Postby Huntsman96 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Whole roasted goat, tripe and homemade blood sausage are a must at our family chrissy :) on the topic of age I forgot to shave for a week and a girl from uni guessed my age to be 33. I'm 21 :doh: went home and had a good shave after that one.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby woodduck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

We never had alot of money growing up but we lived on a farm so we killed our own meat and ate what we had, nothing too extraordinary just the usual liver, kidneys, heart, cheaks you know all the stuff the snobs pay top dollar for nowdays :laughing-rolling:
I do remember eating cow tounge. It wasn't bad at all, we brined it so it was like silverside. One thing I really struggled with and hated was giblets.

I never got lunch orders at school but I had some pretty sort after tukka like tounge sandwiches, kuntucky fried rabbit and the like that kids would buy off me so they could either try it or scare the girls with it :laughing-rolling:

I say don't knock it till ya try it, except giblets, don't try giblets :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Just so happens I have a tongue press, never tried tongue, the butcher down the street has it. Might have to give it a try :think:
TasSpirits

Postby Listo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Just thought I’d fire this thread up again as it’s been pretty interesting & it’s something I enjoy. For myself, I haven’t had anything out of the ordinary, Rabbit, nice, wild pig, depends on living conditions for the flavour (I’ve had some rank ones), goat, sensational, roo, never again. I’ve tried plain wild, marinated wild & restaurant cooked & the flavour was shit every time for me.
I tried to organise a bush tucker weekend a while ago on one of my blocks that I shoot on where we took stuff all food (aside from staples to support the game) & a full esky but I couldn’t get any takers.
There’s not a lot out there that I wouldn’t try to be honest aside from cats and dogs...
Anyone tried anything new since the last post?
Last edited by Listo on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

PreviousNext

Return to The Tucker Box