Mash temp question

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash temp question

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 pm

bluc wrote:Yea 68 degree rest..I was aiming for 65degrees rest. Read 5 degrees above target rest temp is a good rule of thumb but it didnt drop as much as expected..

Been reading a bit more on rest temps, higher mash temp(68-75) creates longer sugar chains which are less fermentable, lower temp(54-65) produce single Maltose units which are more fermentable, in beer speak, higher mash temp = more body/lower mash temp, thinner body. Not a beer drinker so I won't comment on that, makes sense that a higher mash temp will give a slightly inaccurate SG due to unfermentables. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Lowie, I always mash with 3L per KG, get consistent results every time. Almost always above 1.060 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 pm

we recently had a beer brewer help us ;mash-in' and he got us to use 12L for 4Kg of grain... so 3L/Kg seems appropriate (for beer anyway)... :think:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 pm

EziTasting wrote:we recently had a beer brewer help us ;mash-in' and he got us to use 12L for 4Kg of grain... so 3L/Kg seems appropriate (for beer anyway)... :think:

Beer is what we are making at the end of the day, we are just not doing all of the steps, from what I've read most Whisky distilleries wort is between 5-8% :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby EziTasting » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Thx Tas.,

Gotto wait until next week before I get a chance to measure the SG again on our ferment.

Can't believe how excited I am for this to go to the next step. Hope this excitement never wanes... although I could use some more self control... 8-}
EziTasting

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Did you get to the bottom of this Bluc? Interested to know.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Swisswa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 pm

I've noticed this myself since starting all grain whisky, using the Safspirit American Whisky yeast... 3 batches so far and the OG is 1.07 and FG is 1.017 for all of them. Mashed them at 63 degrees for 20 minutes and 66 degrees for 90 minutes.

About to do another batch soon using US-05 and seeing if it finishes a bit drier.
Swisswa

equipment: 5 plate glass neutralizer
5 Star Carter Head
"The Kegmeister" mashing rig

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Havnt tried again yet tied up with other stuff atm. But will post back when i try again.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Swisswa wrote:I've noticed this myself since starting all grain whisky, using the Safspirit American Whisky yeast... 3 batches so far and the OG is 1.07 and FG is 1.017 for all of them. Mashed them at 63 degrees for 20 minutes and 66 degrees for 90 minutes.

About to do another batch soon using US-05 and seeing if it finishes a bit drier.

I just do a single step mash @ 65c then sparge, ferment using Safspirit Malt Whisky Yeast mainly, very rare that they don't ferment dry. Had the same result using a few beer yeasts including US-05. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 am

Hey guys, my understanding is that if you are using an adjunct it won't go down to 1.000 also if you are mashing above say 63 that you're creating longer chain sugars that the yeast can't eat so it again won't go down to 1.000.
I use brewers friend for the calculations and it's usually very close. I plan my mashes to finish around 1.015 as much higher and I run into puking issues.

Most whiskey distilleries are mashing in the low 60's
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby tipsy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm

coffe addict wrote:Hey guys, my understanding is that if you are using an adjunct it won't go down to 1.000 also if you are mashing above say 63 that you're creating longer chain sugars that the yeast can't eat so it again won't go down to 1.000.
I use brewers friend for the calculations and it's usually very close. I plan my mashes to finish around 1.015 as much higher and I run into puking issues.

Most whiskey distilleries are mashing in the low 60's

:text-+1: I've never had an all grain finish near 1.000
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Are you Guys temp controlling your ferments?
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Tas no temp control. Lowie no idea what happened, just went straight from heads to hearts with a stubbie full in between. Would think if it was leak i would have got 3-4 stubbies. Nothing about this run made sense. Tas i agree if i hadnt checked myself i would have said leak. Weird as. (Have had it happen on rum and a sugar head as well).
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey lowie this is the original thread https://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10493 according to that temp was 62.5 was sure it was 68 so that blows that theory out of the water also..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:34 am

Think you'll just have to do another a/g and see how you go guys!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 pm

coffe addict wrote:I plan my mashes to finish around 1.015 as much higher and I run into puking issues.

We ran a mixed beer wash yesterday (Pale Ale & Wheat beer) that was @ 1.014 and it puked like nothing I've seen before... It was quite low (4.7%) but the wheat and the wheat yeast made the most amazing Banana flavours i've ever come across! We didn't mash or ferment this one but I loved it right away... lets see how it comes off the oak!

bluc wrote:...just went straight from heads to hearts with a stubbie full in between...

I've actually had this with all our AGs so far! Taking 300ml of Fores, then 300ml cuts, getting around 5-7 jars where the last 2-3 jars are defs Tails!! So I'm struggling to find any heads...

We're running 4 plates with 60 minute reflux (100%) ... really strange; very different to anything else we've done before! I'm second guessing myself... :shifty:

Our OG has been quite low and I'v been getting quite a bit of feedback from guys here (Thank you, really appreciate it), but it seems my light-switch is faulty as I didn't get what was put down! :angry-banghead:

So, now that we've tested all three of our Malted Barleys (for flavour), we can focus on getting the best out of the grain (grain milling size and sparking control) - this is whats actually been said to me (which I missed, sorry) until I saw it, black on white:

Mashing calcs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

Postby Rush006 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 am

bluc wrote:Tas no temp control. Lowie no idea what happened, just went straight from heads to hearts with a stubbie full in between. Would think if it was leak i would have got 3-4 stubbies. Nothing about this run made sense. Tas i agree if i hadnt checked myself i would have said leak. Weird as. (Have had it happen on rum and a sugar head as well).

You didn't run it too fast and got smearing? I think that was one of my contributing factors with my bad run of Rum. Slowed it all right down and things started to change for the better.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Previous

Return to The Mash tun