Hi

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi

Postby mrcasual » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi, I've done my first wash with the Turbo yeast that came with the T500. It's filtering now.

I've also got the Classic 6 and Classic Pure turbo yeasts. Is it best to use the Turbo Sugar with these or will regular sugar do?

I'll try the TPW when I've finished the Turbo yeast.
mrcasual

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper

Re: Hi

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 pm

You wont gain anything by using dextrose. Normal sugar will do the job :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Welcome mrcasual.

:text-+1: on what bluc said but I reckon you're better off cutting your losses on the turbo yeasts and going straight to TPW or a WBAB, you'll end up with a much better product.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

G'day mate and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Personally I would throw those turbo yeasts, clearers and chemicals in the bin and have a read of the TPW discussion thread again, I know there's alot of pages there but just read a few to get the idea. Trust me you won't regret it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time mate, just trying to save you some time and money because I garentee once you try a TPW with good "cuts"(check the newbies corner for that one) you will never use a turbo product again. I have never heard anyone say they wanted to go back to turbos :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you do choose to stay with the turbos, normal plain white sugar will be fine.

Enjoy your new hobby mate, good to have you aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 pm

G-day Mr C ,welcome to our little corner of the distilling world,use up the turbo stuff so ya have a bench mark ta start with ,my first few batchs was about gaining some basic experience,I did try dex in the early days but did not see any advantage ,its more expensive harder to clean up spills and the extra fine dust nearly choked me ,go normal granulated sugar available at any supermarket instead,I normaly buy up enough for a few batchs when its on special too.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lowie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm

G'day mrcasual, and welcome. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I used dextrose for years, then switched to plain old sugar and didn't really notice the difference - I'm sure there is one though as it's more refined :think: . Either way, you'll find your own way, use up that turbo stuff then try out the TPW and Teddys FFV. You won't go back to the local home brew shop :D
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre