back to Turbo

Sugar wash info and questions

back to Turbo

Postby beaull » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

After trying the tomato paste wash, I have gone back to Turbo. Easier to use, more alcohol etc
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

Re: back to Turbo

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 am

Thats unfortunate for you then.
Enjoy your heads and tails.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-}
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Sparrow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am

I guess it depends on what you're after,

Some guys like consuming alcohol, some such as myself enjoy appreciating it. Power to you buddy there's no right or wrong :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby tipsy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 am

each to their own...are you at least making cuts?
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Wineleader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:58 pm

beaull wrote:After trying the tomato paste wash, I have gone back to Turbo. Easier to use, more alcohol etc

When I am getting supplies from the LHBS I note that a large percentage of customers are buying the various essences... Probably with the view that they are happy enough with the result so I assume producing the spirit isn't the key focus it's an means to an end.

If I am making Aussie cream, Rumtopf or liqueurs I don't mind if the spirit has a mixture of heads and hearts.

So it's not always clear cut when it comes to distilling.
Wineleader

equipment: T500 and matching pot still

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Seriously you don't mind heads and tails :wtf: Op as others have said each to their own but there's a reason why us here at ad chase quality its because the nasty shit in the heads and tails(besides tasty like crap) can do harm to the body. You drink enough especially heads and your going to have problems..

It also costs a lot more for turbo stuff work out how much it costs to do a turbo (Yeast,turbo clear, turbo charcocoal, filtering the spirit afterwards etc etc then compare it to tpw or ffv uses none of that stuff and see the difference. The fact you get more out of each ferment is moot point when its crappy quality.
But its your still and body feel free to use it as you please..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lowie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:16 pm

beaull wrote:After trying the tomato paste wash, I have gone back to Turbo. Easier to use, more alcohol etc

I used turbo for 10+ years (no cuts as that's not in the instructions) with my still spirits super reflux still (precursor to yours) and never knew the difference. I was used to getting nasty headaches from drinking store bought spirits so thought nothing of it. Wasn't until I stumbled upon forums such as this one that I thought there was anything better out there. I agree with you that you get more alcohol percentage, but I don't reckon that little bit extra is worth the headaches and inferior taste. TPW might not be right for you (I don't particularly like the taste of it), have you tried the FFV? A bit of extra effort, but much better neutral taste if you're going to add essence (nothing wrong with that either - I've got a heap for sale in the for sale section if you're interested), I've made some pretty good stuff with essence over the years and still use some now. Good luck with whatever you choose, there's no right or wrong, that's the beauty of this hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby beaull » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I do not get headaches as i always filter through coconut charcoal, the quality is excellent. I do not use essences just orange juice.
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

Postby orcy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 pm

In all my years i never had a headache using the old turbo yeasts and a super reflux still. Throw foreshots, collect to 94c on the thermo, water to 40%, carbon filter. And we drank it by the gallon as we were uni students at the time.

I still get people remind me how good the parties were when i mixed up a postmix keg of peppermint vodka lemonade.

The newer turbo 8 im not a huge fan of though. But turbo pure is passable, just expensive.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Nino » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Have you tied the FFV wash? It might be more to your liking and not that hard to brew.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Sorry to hear that, but to each their own.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Return to Sugar wash's