Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Pot still design and discussion

Nessie Build - aka Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi guys,

My mate and I have finally got enough copper together to build our still. It is going to be 50L keg pot with 19l Corny keg thumper going into a liebig condenser.

As the name suggests, we are making this on a shoestring budget and as such are using the bits and pieces we have had lying around with a few bits and pieces bought. I will warn you now, she isn't going to be pretty, but hopefully, even with our limited skills, she will be effective.

Anyway, work today saw us build the liebig and part of the column from the boiler. As we have very limited materials, the column is 200mm of 2" copper followed by another 250mm of 1" which will turn to a 1/2 " lyne arm across to the thumper. At the bottom of the thumper is a 100mm T section drilled with 1.5mm holes to disperse the vapour bubbles. This is all finally cooled by a 700mm long liebig made of 1" and 1/2" tube.

As I have read many of times, this post is worth nothing without photos, here is what we completed tonight.

2" cap with 1" pipe soldered. First time soldering, so be gentle, please!

Water inlet or outlet for liebig

The completed liebig

The soldered thumper T piece (yet to be drilled.

We hope to get a bit more work done tomorrow, as well as putting a sacrificial TPW down so we can use her in a couple of weeks.

Please feel free to provide any advise/comments on the build.. it is our first go at this and there is a lot of improvisation. The best bit is with such a simple build, as we find better lengths of 2" we can always re-visit the design :D
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title as per OP request
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Scottish build i.e. tight on the coin!

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Awesome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: shoestring budget, that's the beauty of a pot still, it is only a cheap simple still that can make good quality spirits for less than $100 :handgestures-thumbupleft: spend more than that and you should get a bubbler.
Are you going to run gas or electric?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:22 pm

As above, and how are you planning on joining to the keg & the corny??
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 am

Oh yeah forgot to mention that, gas for us, and with the corny, we drilled out the inlet/outlet holes to 13mm but we had the age old problem when it cam to the soldering. Couldn't get it to stick to the stainless. Looks like we might have to shell out for the right flux :angry-banghead:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Do you get it built?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Oh hi Bluc,

Thanks for the interest. We haven't yet, between work commitments and trouble with brazing the copper pipe into the corny keg (can't get enough heat into it with the propane torch) we are stuck. Have our stockpile of vinegar, at TPW sac wash ready and a Nutrigrain wash just about done, so it is fair to say we are chafing at the bit!!!

I have tracked down a mate of a mate who said they can do the brazing for me so I see him on Monday. After that, there should be no holding us back. Nutrigrain is on sale this week at coles so I dare say we will buy a few boxes for gens 3 - 5 +

Can't wait!!!
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Great to hear its going ahead cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Oh yeah! There's no holding us back after tomorrow (hopefully!) :happy-partydance:
ThePaterPiper

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Finally, some success with the soldering of copper to the corny keg. A mate of a mate had an oxy setup and was good enough to do the job for us.

Here's a pic as proof! lol

ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Have you run it yet? :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Nah mate! it is driving me bonkers too! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

we have all the bits, have just got to get together to put it together.. Run the vinegar, sac run and then... finally we can run our well and truly fermented first gen nutrigrain wash. It is seriously so close. I can taste it. ~x( ~x( ~x(

Thanks for the interest Bluc.
ThePaterPiper

Postby Lowie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 pm

All in good time fella - remember, haste makes waste!
I'm (we are) keen to see piccies of your finished product, particularly your corney thumper!
Cheers
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures of the corny, well, at least from the outside. Not much to see on the inside, just a T with lots of little holes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Haven't cleaned it up since the friend of a friend was good enough to braze the pipes in place for us.

So we put it all together last night, and when we connected it the solder joining the 1" to the 2" cap broke. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
It was probably a bit adventurous going that way and not using a reducer, so maybe shell out a few wee pennies for the right bit eh?

Anyway, I forgot to take more pictures, so I will next time I go round to the distillery... um I mean my mates place! :))
ThePaterPiper

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Exciting news!!! well, for my mate and I anyway.

We have our bonnie lass completed and have done the vinegar run tonight! :happy-partydance:

One leak where the ferrule meets the 2" pipe, so a little more soldering to do, but everything else tight as a drum.

Here are some more pics, not that it is very interesting compared to the gear many of you guys are operating.

This is inside the corny, just a T with about 80 1.5mm holes drilled in it to give us lots of gas surface area.

Our wee girls pipe work. Not pretty, but she should do the job

A longer regulator hose is in order, and some insulation for the keg. We were thinking about making a brick surround.

Ahh, the excitement of seeing steam come from the condensor! It's the little things that make me the happiest. Now that didn't sound right at all, did it??? :))

Anyway, I guess it's like your first car. It could be the biggest bucket of shit, but it's your bucket of shit and you will never forget it! :dance:
ThePaterPiper

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft: nothing wrong with it if you ask me. She'll pump out the good stuff for ya.

Well done guys
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks Woodduck, We are pretty chuffed!
ThePaterPiper

Postby Nino » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 pm

woodduck wrote:Looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft: nothing wrong with it if you ask me. She'll pump out the good stuff for ya.

Well done guys

:text-+1:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:54 am

Looks good i look forward to hearing how it runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 am

Definitely seen uglier stills than that mate ;-)

If it works and it's safe then it all good :happy-partydance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks for the kind words guys.

First real wash will be the NGW that is waiting patiently. So, with having the thumper, do we just mix the selected cuts from each generation together over time, or is there still the need to do strips and a final spirit run? At first, and the reason we went down the thumper track it was our understanding that the thumper was like a second distillation, but then I read on the CFW thread that there were no shortcuts to stripping several generations and running them together to get the good flavours through.

I know they are different washes, but i assume the same would be true for the NGW.

Thanks again
ThePaterPiper

Next

Return to Pot Stills