What an almost costly mistake...

Discuss safety issues here.

What an almost costly mistake...

Postby Matt_Pl » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 pm

So today I was very lucky, I set myself up in the backyard to work on my aquaponics system. Plugged in my RCD ran an extension cord to fish tank and plugged in my Bluetooth speaker and cranked out music on my iPad.

After about 20 mins I moved my iPad further way from the house (on the limit of the wireless) so I could work in the shade. 5 mins later the speaker turns off, I think to myself hmm bloody wireless no signal. After about ten minutes working in the shade I wander over to the tap and notice what appears to be a bright red glow from the top of my 50 litre boiler!!

I'd bloody plugged in the orange circular to one of the 2.4kw boiler elements rather than the orange circular from my RCD. The speaker stopped cause it went flat.

The garden hose has a very fine leak which sends out a little spray, I stood by the keg and still for ten minutes slowish cooling it down.. doesn't appear to be any damage tonight. Talk about bloody lucky.

After distilling always pack up your shit ..... :angry-banghead:
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: What an almost costly mistake...

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 am

What brand of element would think the element would blow .
wynnum1

Postby Matt_Pl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 am

One of Mac's :handgestures-thumbupleft: :romance-kisscheek:
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am

Been there, done that (unfortunately) but still working 14 months later!

Learned to be more careful, tho!!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:38 pm

I have done similar :angry-banghead: marked all the plugs in the shed with artline pen as to what they go to,makes it harder to mess up.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

I've been paranoid about this. I always unplugged the still just in case the missus or someone comes in a flicks the switch accidentally
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to Safety Discussion