Gin from a T500

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Gin from a T500

Postby tassiespirit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:07 am

Hi all, Just seen a add from Still Spirits saying ( in their blurb) that you can use the T500 as a gin infuser. By taking out the saddles etc and running an (well their) infuser in the column. I just thought that this was not as successful with this reflux system; but here is their add. What do you think? Ok, yes I have one of these (as I am learning) and it was cheap at the time. Anyway, thanks for your input guys...........
https://stillspirits.com/products/botanical-basket-and-gin-botanical-kit?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Botanical&mc_cid=c615314c72&mc_eid=c1206863dc

Botanical Basket and Gin Botanical Kit

Make a London Dry style gin with the Gin Botanicals Kit and Botanical Basket. Simply make your spirit wash as normal, put your Botanicals Kit ingredients into the basket and screw the basket on to the Alembic Pot Still dome and condensor or T500 condenser (by removing the saddles) and run your spirit through.

You can also use the Botanicals Basket to infuse your spirit with other flavours e.g. citrus or elderflower for your own unique brand of spirit.

The Gin Botanicals Kit is a blend of juniper berries, coriander seeds, liquorice root and citrus peels. The ideal blend to make a delicious London Dry style gin.
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Re: Gin from a T500

Postby coffe addict » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 am

It won't work with the reflux head it's designed to be screwed into the alembic pot head. This will work well if you start with clean neutral. The pot head won't make clean neutral.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby tassiespirit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am

coffe addict wrote:It won't work with the reflux head it's designed to be screwed into the alembic pot head. This will work well if you start with clean neutral. The pot head won't make clean neutral.

Yeah I get that , the neutral first then you do your botanicals, but to say you can use the T500 stripped out seems funny to me . Since the setup of the T500 doesn't allow for that to work straight through.
That's why I thought I place this on the board, they want to make money out of anything, I think.
Like to have a go at a pot still next, but I will have a go at building one first, and not use their dome. One step at a time I guess.
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am

I have the alambic dome and copper condensor. The condensor is too small for stripping runs, but works nicely for spirit runs.

I cant quite work out how the basket works from the pics
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:47 am

What I read was it screws into the bottom of the alembic pot head?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:40 pm

All. That makes sense. This holds the lid to the pothead. Interesting idea.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Return to Beginners Questions