Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I'm amazed at how a couple more months helps my ngw, not that much lasts more than a month :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:41 pm

guys, is it possible to collect the lees from this wash and refrigerate/freeze and then pick up on the gens later after thawing out?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 pm

You will kill the yeast by freezing the lees. Any particular reason you need to take a break?
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 pm

orcy wrote:You will kill the yeast by freezing the lees. Any particular reason you need to take a break?

I want to get onto the single malt ASAP and have one of my fermenters tied up with the NGW. If it's not a good idea, we can just run with the one 23L fermenter, I just wanted to get closer to 40L to go into the boiler for the run.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Your better off freezing some backset to start another gen with fresh yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Sam. wrote:Your better off freezing some backset to start another gen with fresh yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So the most important part of the gens is the backset? Excellent. It would be good to be able to run 40l through instead of only 20.

Thanks
ThePaterPiper

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 pm

That's where the concentrated goodness is ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Just watch the amount you use. Ph may become an issue if you over do it..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ThePaterPiper

Postby Grumpydude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Guy's, I am currently about to run my second gen of NGW as well as a UJSSM. I have a FSD neutraliser rig and was planning on removing bubble plates and stripping each gen until I have enough low wines for a spirit run. Then a slow run with 4 plates, am I in the ballpark? I have seen several posts suggesting a single run with four plates is best. If you are only running once with four plates are you keeping hearts cuts and putting heads and tails into your next run? I'm slightly confused, any advice would be appreciated.Cheers.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby orcy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:24 pm

The whole idea of a bubbler is that you only need one run. Heads generally get tossed. Tails are recycled into the next boiler charge, or kept for neutral runs.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby Grumpydude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi orcy, thanks for your reply, when you say heads are tossed are you referrng to foreshots? I usually toss about 150 mls of foreshots I keep in full reflux for about 30 mins to compress heads( four plates installed), remove foreshots and run at a toothpick stream thereafter until tails appear. I then combine the heads and tails on my next run. I collect in 300 ml jars, air for 48 hours, make cuts and age hearts on charred oak. Sound O.K?
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby bayshine » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Grumpydude wrote:Hi Guy's, I am currently about to run my second gen of NGW as well as a UJSSM. I have a FSD neutraliser rig and was planning on removing bubble plates and stripping each gen until I have enough low wines for a spirit run. Then a slow run with 4 plates, am I in the ballpark? I have seen several posts suggesting a single run with four plates is best. If you are only running once with four plates are you keeping hearts cuts and putting heads and tails into your next run? I'm slightly confused, any advice would be appreciated.Cheers.

All ways you've described can be done, so it's up to you to try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Personally I like to strip 3 or 4 batches or gens with no plates as fast as I can (pukes don't matter) and then do a slow spirit run with 4 plates... works best for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby orcy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I think most people think that the heads are unrecoverable and just bin them or add them to a neutral run later on. Tails down to 20% can carry interesting flavours and can provide more complexity to future runs. But in practice, what you are doing is fine.
orcy

Postby Grumpydude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Thank you both bayshine and orcy, I'll be spending quite a few hours in the garage this weekend. I wasn't sure whether I would retain more flavour on a single run with four plates or two runs including stripping. I guess I'll have to try both and see what transpires.Cheers.
Grumpydude

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Just an update on our NGW. I was a bit worried as it had no real flavour off the still, but OMG! after a fortnight on home fashioned domino's, one toasted and one heavily charred. I know it isn't whisky, but I have tasted whiskies that don't taste as good as this stuff. And it's only Gen 1.

Am I raving too much??? :think: :think: :think: It is our first batch of product. Surely some raving is allowed?? :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:

Anyway, also wanted to add that we have kept two one kilo bags of spent peated grain for future generations of this wash. Can't wait to see what Gen 2 has to offer, then the addition of peat to Gen 3 has us salivating in anticipation!

So bye for now, and I think just another small sample is in order.
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:53 pm

I think some raving is allowed. Its amazing what you can get out of 10 bucks worth of cereal and 30 bucks of sugar :)

My gen 3 wbab is fantastic straight off the still, excited to see what its like after a couple of weeks on oak.
orcy

Postby potrocket » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Okay, I only have an airstill .... not a real still, however I do like whisky and found this recipe for Nutri Grain Whisky .... Thanks Kimbo :D . I made my first batch, ran it through the airstill, as per the instructions the thing came with, then filtered it through carbon and poured it onto oak chips in a glass jar. 26 days have passed so I had a trial taste, not bad but still has a sharpness to it. I have since read a post stating that the carbon filtering is probably not necessary and may, in fact, remove some of the flavour from the wash. I am now working on the next 8 litres and have a couple of questions.

1. Should I double distil the wash, or will double distilling extract flavour from the wash
2. Should I carbon filter after distilling

The easiest way of preparing the Nutri Grain, that Iv'e found, is to knock off the stew pot from the kitchen, bung in a packet of Nutri Grain and 1kg of sugar, add warm water and hit it with the stick blender. See ... give the laziest guy the hardest job and he will find the easiest method :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
potrocket

equipment: I'm just an Air Still jockey due to a 'lack of funds' problem. Yea I know you puritans bag Air Stills, hope to build or buy a bigger still in the future, so for the meantime I'm pushing this little cooker to the limit. Currently producing TPW and very happy with the results. Really want to try Nutri Grain whisky, real rum etc and move away from cordial flavoured sprites.

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Are you doing cuts? Double distill and cuts is the way to go for any pot still(an airstill is a pot still)..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby potrocket » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 pm

bluc wrote:Are you doing cuts? Double distill and cuts is the way to go for any pot still(an airstill is a pot still)..

Thanks for the reply. I didn't for the first batch as the instructions that came with the still didn't mention it. I am really new at this and learning heaps from from these forums. I will be taking cuts from the batch I'm working on now and that is the reason for my questions. The wash smells great when it's put down but I don't know if the wash or the oak becomes the main influence on the flavour of end product.
potrocket

equipment: I'm just an Air Still jockey due to a 'lack of funds' problem. Yea I know you puritans bag Air Stills, hope to build or buy a bigger still in the future, so for the meantime I'm pushing this little cooker to the limit. Currently producing TPW and very happy with the results. Really want to try Nutri Grain whisky, real rum etc and move away from cordial flavoured sprites.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development