18 gallon keg screw top

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

18 gallon keg screw top

Postby Taity64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 am

To all the guys with 18gallon kegs as boilers I'm after some idea's of what to do about the 4" screw top fitting on top of the keg because measuring it looks like if I cut iit out for a ferrule I would have to go for a 5" or 6" or I could maybe get a 4" welded on top but that would look dicky what's everyone got ??
Taity64

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still

Re: 18 gallon keg screw top

Postby EziTasting » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

Taity64 wrote:To all the guys with 18gallon kegs as boilers I'm after some idea's of what to do about the 4" screw top fitting on top of the keg because measuring it looks like if I cut iit out for a ferrule I would have to go for a 5" or 6" or I could maybe get a 4" welded on top but that would look dicky what's everyone got ??

Gudday Taity,
I don't have an 18Gal keg, BUT as someone thats built his own boiler here are a couple of pieces of advice I will share from my experience:
1) IF you can, go for a 6" ferrule - not because I want you to build/buy or even run a 6" still but because 4" (what I have) is just not big enough to get my arms thru to clean or pick up anything that may fall into the boiler! Its frustrating as hell not being able to go past my forearm into the boiler...
2) install weld-less elements (if going electric) because the time will come when they need replacing because, as a noob, you tend/can/probably will burn shyte onto the elements and weld-less elements are easy to remove for cleaning or replacing...

It means you'll need a reducer and, while thats additional cost, it also acts as a spacer helping you with puking (once you progress to other recipes that aren't sugar heads).

As with anything I say, its my opinion, it ain't humble because I am one of the most opinionated blokes I know... :D

But man, this is fun!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Taity64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks EZI I was thinking the same thing it would be nice to get my arm in to clean if need be :-D
Taity64

Postby r1zzla » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Taity64 wrote:To all the guys with 18gallon kegs as boilers I'm after some idea's of what to do about the 4" screw top fitting on top of the keg because measuring it looks like if I cut iit out for a ferrule I would have to go for a 5" or 6" or I could maybe get a 4" welded on top but that would look dicky what's everyone got ??

Here's my build thread http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10487
To be honest I wish I'd gone for a 6" fill port or still connection, it would certainly make cleaning a lot easier.
r1zzla

equipment: 80L horizontal keg boiler & FSD 6 plate Neutraliser.
Carter Head with 2 plates
pure distilling reflux.

Postby Nino » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:19 pm

:text-+1: with all the above. Go the 6 inch port if you can will make life a lot easier :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Stonemaker1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 pm

EziTasting wrote:

Gudday Taity,
I don't have an 18Gal keg, BUT as someone thats built his own boiler here are a couple of pieces of advice I will share from my experience:
1) IF you can, go for a 6" ferrule - not because I want you to build/buy or even run a 6" still but because 4" (what I have) is just not big enough to get my arms thru to clean or pick up anything that may fall into the boiler! Its frustrating as hell not being able to go past my forearm into the boiler...
2) install weld-less elements (if going electric) because the time will come when they need replacing because, as a noob, you tend/can/probably will burn shyte onto the elements and weld-less elements are easy to remove for cleaning or replacing...

It means you'll need a reducer and, while thats additional cost, it also acts as a spacer helping you with puking (once you progress to other recipes that aren't sugar heads).

As with anything I say, its my opinion, it ain't humble because I am one of the most opinionated blokes I know... :D

But man, this is fun!

Perfect advice I reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Welded elements are easier to remove than weldless!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby EziTasting » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Welded elements are easier to remove than weldless!

Ahrrgggghhh this alway has me kerfuffled! I'm talking about installing the electric elements that are fitted to the boiler by tri-clamps... like this one...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Wleded or weldless refers to how they are mounted to the keg.
Weldless one are mounted via a 32mm hole in the keg.
Welded ones screw or are tri-clamped to a fitting that is welded to the keg.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Taity64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys looks like 6" will be the go . I have sent 5star a message for a quote on all the parts including 2 x 2400w weld in elements so I'll just send another message for a 6" ferrule and all will be good in the world :-D
Taity64

Return to Boilers & burners.