Vomit Mash - TRAIN WRECK of biblical proportions!

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Vomit Mash - TRAIN WRECK of biblical proportions!

Postby orcy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:47 pm

First and second gen of my wbab had bad vomit smell in the dunder that wasnt present in the ferment or the spirit. But i think you did the right thing.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby crow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am

An old timer said a while back never be to scared to kick a barrel over, some times ya just got to cut ya losses.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Tuner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi All,

SO today I fired up the Kettle and boiled up some water. Turn on the exhaust fan and went on doing other things. Came back to the brew room about an hour later water is happy boiling - the room is RIPE and STRONG with vomit smell - it seems that the whole exhaust system is full of the Butyric Acid smell.

SWMBO is not impressed!!

SO cleaning with an acid to kill an acid based smell (Butyric Acid) just will not work! Looks like I'll have to find a strong alkaline cleaner to neutralize the Butyric Acid.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers
Tuner
Tuner

equipment: 120 l 4 by 4 reflux called Ellie

Postby Minpac » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Have you tried bicarb soda? It's often handy for odour removal.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Ozone generaters can get rid of strong smells as well,but do not be tempted to look at the light inside otherwise you WILL go blind.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

crow wrote:An old timer said a while back never be to scared to kick a barrel over, some times ya just got to cut ya losses.

:text-+1:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Mate I wish I could help but I can't unfortunately but I do feel for ya. Can't help but giggle a little but definitely feel for ya.

Hope you sort it out soon even if it's just to get the wife of your back :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Tuner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am

Hi All,

Someone said go to the Pet store and get Nature's Miracle, so I did! SWMBO - is happy with the smell, and it looks we may have clean up the smell!
Cheers
Tuner
http://www.catonam.com.au/p_naturesmiracle.php
Tuner

equipment: 120 l 4 by 4 reflux called Ellie

Previous

Return to The Mash tun