Bryan's Double Boiler Build

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Bryan's Double Boiler Build

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 pm

G'day Guy's,
When an old topic came up about this double boiler idea Bushy did a while ago though well if Bushy has made this and it works well time to jump onboard and make one.

First we need 2 door keg's and I had one in the shed and got a keg mashtun with a 1" tri-clamp setup.

2 kegs.jpg

Due to a 1 meg limit on uploads this will be on further posts.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Bryan's Double Boiler Build

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:57 pm

To Follow,

Now here's a pic of it assembled, now we cut the base of the donor keg and as the mashtun already had the top cut out I cut it out further for a better mate for the donor keg. Then along with a 12" round file and a 8 thou feeler gauge got it close to mating.

setup.jpg

More to follow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Now as the mashtun had a 1" tri-clamp on the base I did need to make a fitting for it. So just cut 2 off 50mm disc's along with a 30mm disc then soft soldered them. The idea of using 3 layers was to just tap a 1/4" bsp thread but as I had annealed the copper trying to tap was a reaming exercise so thought I did have another spare 1/2" solder fitting just cut a short section of a roll of 1/2" copper then soft soldered that in.

new fitting.jpg

more to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm

So for the pressure test I did need a pressure gauge and a few fittings so wet for a scrounge and found fittings to do the job. For charging up for the pressure test I'll just use the snapon air nozzle and the tap to get the pressure.

iput setup.jpg

More to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Stonemaker1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Nice job mate, big boiler is always handy IMO :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm still waiting on that slow boat for the 6" triclamp and do hope it will be here next week, but for the 6 to 4 " reducer I got one off 5 Star after Mac found one in the shed for me. I was wrapped when it got here and with 2 seals :dance: :dance: :dance: Well done Sue and thanks for another transaction done with haste and top service.

6-4 reducer.jpg

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Well Guy's,
After waiting 3 weeks for the delivery of the 6" ferrule kit it finally arrived :D :D :D and the drive home was all about thinking time to get this project going. :happy-partydance:

new ferrule kit.jpg

More to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Then after unwrapping the package just had to try the fit on the 6-4" reducer and thats when it hit home :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: it don't fit. :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

reducer fit.jpg

more to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Now it was time to get the rule out and see just how much bigger this ferrule is

size of new ferrule.jpg

More to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Now here is the 6-4" reducer measurement and I had put the rule on the 100 to get it to stay on the reducer.

reducer measurement.jpg

More to follow
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Now finally the reducer sitting on the ferrule without the tri clamp

reducer to ferrule.jpg

So now gotta ponder did I order the wrong type of fitting or did they supply a 175mm fitting :think: I will get back onto the feebay seller and ask why they sent a bigger one.

But I could machine the 17mm off the OD, machine the new groove for a 6" clamp and get one from 5 star or just make a reducer out of copper and put the 5 star reducer in the for sale section.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Anyway got in touch with the feebay seller and sent those measurement pic's so now a waiting game to see what happen's
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Bummer!

I can remember waiting! Waiting when you thought you had it right and something goes wrong...

That really bites! Hope it will be sorted ASAP!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby nuddy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

A lot of Ebay gear to do with ferrules and triclamps are all USA sized gear. Differs ever so slightly to British and Aus gear. Huge pain in the ass.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby orcy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 am

I didnt realise there were two sizing schemes. Thats sucks.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am

That’s why most of the modern world has converted to metric!

:scared-eek:

Did I say that out loud?!?!? :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am

Yep there are 2 standards.
Like there are with copper.
I think you may find that the ID of your ebay flange is 6" where as Macs one will be 6" on the OD of the tail section of the ferrule.

Your purchased one will be for 6"NB pipe and Mac's one for 6"OD pipe.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Well I got a reply from the feebay seller and they offered me $10 compo for sending the wrong item so I returned an email saying they had 24 hours to either refund my purchase price or supply the proper fitting. If I don't hear a word in 24 hours I'm off to the bank to demand a reversal on the purchase. I have done this before and my bank is happy to do this for me too. :happy-partydance:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Well this seller has now given the return address but nothing on postage paid, anyway with SWMBO in hospital for the next 4 days atleast and a long weekend coming up as a conference is happen at the job site and the site is closed. Got a TPW run to do and I'll draw up a template for a 6-4" reducer and see if I have enough copper here. But i'm thinking not likely at that 4" has gone into the riser on the carterhead.

MMM thinking :think: :think: :think: well a reducer to the 6-4" is a small one to make and a length of 1/2" pipe might be the go. Just cut it down the centre and flatten it it then roll it to size, then make a couple of easy flanges. :think: :think: :think:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well decided to make a reducer for that fitting so I just need to find/source a 6" triclamp now.

Anyway I decided to use a 3/4" pipe for forming the reducer and worked out I needed 502mm, I got the pipe from work yesterday and got onto it as soon I got home from work. So basically just marked a line down the pipe and cut it with a 1mm disc on the 4" grinder then deburred the cut straight away as it does need doing and no use saying Oh Shit :angry-banghead: should of done it earlier. All I did was markout the circumference length of the lower part then markout out the circumference of the top part. After I had basically formed the reducer enough to get the ends together found the angle was way too much :angry-banghead: so got the angle guage out and 1/2'd the angle and got it silver soldered. That was enough for the night so called it.

This morning back to it and about 5 hours later YAY mission completed :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

new reducer.jpg

It sits on the 6-4 reducer nicely and for the base I just peened over a 10mm to a right angle and found it was a tad too small to fit the riser on the seal :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: . So duly got some 3" pipe and flattened it for making the bottom sealing plate. Tried to get it flat while not annealed and no way could I get it flat :crying-blue: So annealed it and while still hot put the plate ontop and gave it a few wacks and one flat plate underneath :happy-partydance: . Cleaned it all up and soft soldered it in and gave it a basic rub on the concrete. More to go there aswell as the 6" easy flange.

Got it sitting in a citric acid bath to clean it up then I'll do the concrete rub to get the sealing purfect :music-deathmetal:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Next

Return to The Mash tun