Glass Cleaing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Glass Cleaing

Postby THUNDERBOLT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm

I have been given a 30 litre glass demijohn which I wish to use for racking after fermentation of the wash has finished, the demijohn had been used as a terrarium and was absolutely filthy. I have cleaned it out with a pressure washer and scrubbed it as well as I could with a bent bottle brush and obviously soap and water. It looks clean but I really would like to sterilize the container before use but I feel it needs a stronger method than using the normal barrel/bottle sterilizer. Any suggestions. regards.
THUNDERBOLT

equipment: Reflux still, short column.

Re: Glass Cleaing

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:50 pm

There is really no need to rack into a secondary vessel with Distilling mate...

As for sterilising, a good swirl of foreshots should kill everything.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

I used some beach sand and water to swish around and help clean the solids off the inside of one and soaked overnight in bottle wash(sodium matabisulphate),but ifn its pretty clean forshots rinsed around as Zac said will kill the nasties,I allways rest them on a foam mat to avoid costly breakage,or at least in the basket ifn ya got one with it,problem with some fertilizers and minerals in terrariums is it can leave a nasty coloured stain on glass wich is difficult to remove like some bore water does to bricks and windows,wich may need something specific like CLR to remove as it will prolly come off in ya wash or feints slowly and teint ya product ifn ya use it for that as alcohol is a pretty good solvent .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby THUNDERBOLT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, never thought about foreshots, only racking to avoid the dregs in the boiler. regards
THUNDERBOLT

equipment: Reflux still, short column.

Postby Kenster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Thunder', i am with you. Any extra dead yast or grunge you can keep out of the boiler has to end up a better result. I rack all my washes, yep another process but what the heck.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm

I found one of these (carboy syphon cap) from the HBS very helpful as I have four 25lt glass demi's and use silicone bungs with airlocks as well,the cap holds ya syphon hose then ya just blow into the other outlet to start flow.No good ifn ya have one with the large opening though ,wich I found better suited to oaking and just put a paper towel over the top secured with a lacky band.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Beginners Questions