Reflux detune ?

Pot still design and discussion

Reflux detune ?

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi guys .

I want to have a go at CFW but dont have a dedicated pot .

What I have now for stripping TPWs is a detuned Super reflux still to which I add a 1 mt packed 2inch column with an RC built into it .

So what I'm thinking is for a CFW spirit run I'll remove all the packing and remove cooling to the RC from my column with the PC from the original head I'll have myself a suitable pot .

The boiler only has a single coil heating element so perhaps I wont need a power controller , Stripping TPWs wih it is only done at a pencil lead thick stream .

Have I missed anything ?

Cheers Al
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Re: Reflux detune ?

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm

How many watts is the element?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Not sure , has no markings that i can see . Its a single element thats about 10 inch diam ,
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

How many litres and how long to boil?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

My super reflux still has a 1380watt element in the 25 litre boiler.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:04 pm

bluc wrote:How many litres and how long to boil?

Very likely the same as Plumby .

its 25 lt and about 90 min from start up to the first drips of fores .
prawnz

Postby Plumby » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 pm

prawnz wrote:
bluc wrote:How many litres and how long to boil?

Very likely the same as Plumby .

its 25 lt and about 90 min from start up to the first drips of fores .

Sounds very familiar.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Tried yours as a pot Plumby ?
prawnz

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 pm

25lt 90 mins to first drops would guess 1800w. My 2000w turbo 500 first drips 60mins.. i reakon would prob be fine for pot spirit run..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now I'm wondering if I need the unpacked copper column or would the detuned Super Reflux still head be sufficient ?

Sorry for so many questions :?
prawnz

Postby Lowie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 pm

prawnz wrote:Hi guys .

I want to have a go at CFW but dont have a dedicated pot .

What I have now for stripping TPWs is a detuned Super reflux still to which I add a 1 mt packed 2inch column with an RC built into it .

So what I'm thinking is for a CFW spirit run I'll remove all the packing and remove cooling to the RC from my column with the PC from the original head I'll have myself a suitable pot .

The boiler only has a single coil heating element so perhaps I wont need a power controller , Stripping TPWs wih it is only done at a pencil lead thick stream .

Have I missed anything ?

You're on the right track mate. that's exactly what I did with my old super reflux. If you're stripping, take your packing out too. pencil dick stream is the norm too. there's a thread in the newbies section about detuning your still too.

Cheers Al
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Plumby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am

prawnz wrote:Tried yours as a pot Plumby ?

No man never have, to be honest I don't even use it anymore. I much rather my pot still as I like brown spirits.
Plumby

Postby skurvy84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:25 am

I've been wondering about this to. I know you can detune the little Super reflux, mines also been a dedicated stripper but Ive been looking at the macrums, nutrigrain and CFW and think damn i would love to give that a shot.

Until i scrounge enough coins for the modular pot will this be a okay option in the mean time?.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby prawnz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 am

skurvy84 wrote:
Until i scrounge enough coins for the modular pot will this be a okay option in the mean time?.

Yeh well I've decided to give it a go anyway and find out . Lets face it a couple of CFWs dont cost to much so bugger it , just try eh .

The little still head works a treat for stripping TPWs I know , but I'm going to try it with an emptied out reflux extension that I made for it . Taking the packing out is a pain in the quoit so I was just trying to see if anyone had tried with a similar setup , but as I said fukkit , just give it a shot eh . I've got myself a heap of used wine barrel staves that I've cut up into dominoes (enough to last me a couple of lifetimes :handgestures-thumbupleft: ) so I want to have a go at some flavored spirits .

The way I read the CFW recipe you need a few gens to get a reasonable amount of solid flavored low's so better get started .
prawnz

Postby skurvy84 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah I've used for stripping runs of tpw but still abit hesitated for some reason. Dont really know why, not alot can go wrong and if it does I'll smash it through the reflux anyway.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby shortcut » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm

How did you go running her as pot still dude? I did it with my keggomax and I reckon it’s good.
Took all the packing out and only run water in the pc. I’ve never used another still so got no comparison but I don’t think I will put the packing back in any time soon. I started making brekkie cereal booze from here and it’s awesome.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby skurvy84 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

Put the cfw wash down last night, gonna have a crack at this. Got my 2 inch tri clamp and end cap coming for my storage keg and will have a crack at generations. Will postback with my results after running it.
skurvy84

Postby skurvy84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 am

Stripped the 1st cfw tonight and it went great. Nice consistent stream, pleasant tasting off the still stripped down to approx 35-30% and quick. Kicked of my 1st generation directly after so hopefully it will be bubbking when i check it in the morning.

one issue i had was i broke the thermometer that sticks in the top but quickly replaced that with my thermocouple which worked excellent.

So far for stripping the cfw it was great.
skurvy84

Postby prawnz » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:12 am

Hi guys
Just a quick follow up incase anyone else is using one of these as a pot .
I did 5 gens of CFW with it that has been in a barrel for a bit over 12 months now and while I'm biased I know , its the equal of any high end whiskey I've tried :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I've now moved on to another rig but if anyone else is contemplating try this with one of these stills , go get it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

Return to Pot Stills