Great Gin Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Great Gin Recipe Discussion

Postby Professor Green » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Ah, it's hibiscus. Never heard it called rosella before. For a moment there I thought you adding tomato sauce and was wondering why on earth you would do that 8-}

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Is it hibiscus??? Well there ya go.. I thought it was the same stuff they made the relish n sauce from...lmao
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Dyno. What size pot do you have? And do the flavour’s run through into your other washes?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:Thanks Dyno. What size pot do you have? And do the flavour’s run through into your other washes?

25L boiler pp. It’s my first gin run so I’m not sure if it will taint the next run. I took of the head and put the hose straight thru it, smell ok, so I’m hoping not. I also bunged a copper mesh roll up it thinking it may do some magic. I have done a ton of whiskey n rum with it an not cleaned it and that didn’t carry over the the gin. Mind you, Gin is oily. Well see
Dyno

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:52 pm

I will be interested to see how you get on. Thanks
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:38 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:I will be interested to see how you get on. Thanks

I’ve just had a smell up the spout mate an all I can smell is peat from the whiskeys. Can’t see any issues. Think I might try some all grain whiskey wash stripped out as a gin base on the next one. Might be nice addition to a floral brew. Have 120L to strip out over the next weekend.
Dyno

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 pm

There are lots of gins made off grain spirit, it makes perfect sense. I was really surprised to read that it was originally made with grape spirit. Had never heard that. Being the all knowing oracle of all things gin that is!!! :laughing-rolling: :liar:

I am definitely building at the very least a gun basket for my planned blockhead, if not a carter head for my bubbler when I build it.
ThePaterPiper

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:12 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:There are lots of gins made off grain spirit, it makes perfect sense. I was really surprised to read that it was originally made with grape spirit. Had never heard that. Being the all knowing oracle of all things gin that is!!! :laughing-rolling: :liar:

I am definitely building at the very least a gun basket for my planned blockhead, if not a carter head for my bubbler when I build it.

When we were at Sullivan’s Cove Distillery they broke out their Gin OMG.. next level brew. Made with the same wash from Cascade that the whiskey is made from. Only 4 ingredients, really controlled drop
Dyno

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Recently visited my uncle distillery and sampled two gins they tasted pretty good and I generally hate gin
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Re: Coloured Gin

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi,
I have tried a few different Gin colouring / flavouring methods. I have my base Gin using the Drs TPW recipe . I have diluted it to 44% and added
20 drops Shiraz per litre of 44%.
Or
3mls Sinkonna Tonic Syrup
Or
1 French Oak domino and let it sit for a week at 66%. I got this idea from a South African Gin that looked like Whiskey

All taste great.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Stripping Xmas vodka that was too late: looks like January gin :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:30 am

ThePaterPiper wrote:There are lots of gins made off grain spirit, it makes perfect sense. I was really surprised to read that it was originally made with grape spirit. Had never heard that. Being the all knowing oracle of all things gin that is!!! :laughing-rolling: :liar:

It's still pretty common for most modern gin manufacturers to use grape spirit. Not too many of them make their own washes.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Rolls912 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm

I read in Oz there was only one that does. Must be a nightmare keeping the ATO placated!
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 am

Hi all - I have done a fair few spirit runs now - mostly give using Blond Chaps recipe on front page.

Say I have 25 litres of 30% low wines to run.How many multiples of that botanical mix do I need and how many changes?

I doubled the botanicals for a bit smaller spirit run last time and just added botanicals to my 4”FSD 4 plated column once after removing fores and a few head cuts. Result was good but I kept a bit to much .went to far back into heads. Also if you do three or 4botanical changes don’t you lose the citrus at start and woody at end effect.

Cheers
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I usually run similar volume, 25 litres at 30ish %. I only use 1 basket, I don’t change botanicals. BUT I normally run off close to 2 litres (heads and some neutral, after fores) before I add the basket. Gives great flavour into tails and usually get around 4.5 ish litres of 92% gin. Used cassia bark in my last gin as opposed to cinnamon, was definitely noticeable going into tails and has given this batch a less citrus tang with a more woody (for want of a better term) ending.
If you keep changing botanicals you get the juniper & citrus more pronounced, but if you don’t leave it in long enough you will miss out on the heavier herbs at the end.
Have your other runs been ok or not enough flavour?
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Yurugaboy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Ta,
I use Blond Chaps recipe that has Cassia Bark in it also.

I have run off maybe 1 litre heads after 300mls fores and thought it was Ok but I may try your suggestion and let more pass prior tobotanicals addition) it’s not wasted as it’s either 8 plate neutral heads or 8 plate feints for next time.

Thanks for the tips.

Hopefully this weekend will see the spirit run.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby Yurugaboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Worked a treat. From 28l of low wines at 30% strip I took 300mls fores,coloured blue. I then ran out 2 litres prior to adding botanicals. Ran to 30% and it was fantastic. Kept pretty much all botanicals strip. It louches at 40% and under and it’s a great result.

Very happy. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :happy-partydance:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby YarraRanges » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Yall,
I wonder why you do a gin run while doing a spirit run. It strikes me as being too risky. I always make a clean neutral, dilute it back to 45% and use that as a base for gin. The reason is that if doing a Hendricks style rose gin, the rose doesn't come through until you get down to 21-22% at the parrot. If doing a spirit run you'd be into some very nasty tails at that percentage. Am I missing something?
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Yurugaboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm

This is actually when you do a gin/ spirit run with my 4 plate bubbler . 8 plates total wash then spirit run.
The tails portion after doing cuts for both washes is usable. I stop around 30% and was able to use everything after adding the botanicals. Including the parrot sump which contained some great juniper oils. I’m not into mixing essences into neutral. But know some add the woodier flavours separately.

I have done a fair bit of gin and have worked out a repeatable method that produces product I like.

Happy playing
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby the Doctor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 am

Lowie wrote:

It's still pretty common for most modern gin manufacturers to use grape spirit. Not too many of them make their own washes.

At Dobson's we make our own washes from scratch for every product.... when making Gin we use a 5 star twin headed still with 9 plates and an off set Carter Head.... the spirit is run out of the vodka side till azeotrope is hit and we are firmly into hearts...only then is the vapour sent to the Carter head and the Gin made... we do not run for more than 26 minutes per basket of botanicals for about 5 baskets or until any tails are detected... the spirit from last basket is held separately to check for the presence of tails after an overnight airing... The grape spirit you have mentioned is made by Tarac and is not of a high grade... we prefer to start from neutral, it gives us a cleaner taste....The gin made this way is delicate and has won a couple of international medals. I have experimented with a number of ways to make gin and believe the Offset Carter Head the best way I have tried....you can really amp up the flavour without getting any of the oils from the botanicals in the final product.
Cheers
Doc

still.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development