Commercial brew tin

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Commercial brew tin

Postby The Stig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

I’ll start by saying “ I don’t bottle, I keg”
I use this Morgan tin plus one kilo white sugar, chuck it into the keg and 24 hours later I get a nice head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 pm

This IS an old thread but rather than start a new one may as just revive this one :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So after a decade or more I've decided to finally have a go at making a beer using a tin. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Had to take SWMBO to Flinders today and kill a few hours in town so drove down south to the HBS and asked what he had in lager tins, there were 3 of them there and he said with this one it will take like crownie so I went :violence-smack: no thanks next with the next it was it takes like a hinekin (sp) so I went :violence-smack: and finally with the third one he said this one tastes like a James Boag's where I said mate thats the one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I got some lager yeast and a kg bag of malted barely/dextrose No.20 blend and also a 500gram bag of malted barley, decided as I'm going to do a 30 litre ferment I also got a Coopers No.2 enhancer.

Got home too late to put this down so it's the first jobbie in the morning :handgestures-thumbupleft: and he said to pitch the yeast at 21C and let it down down in the temp range of 11-15C. So with it getting cooler here in the hills it is the purfect time to make a lager so with a bit of luck this recipe should work out OK.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 am

G'Day Guy's,
Well the beer wash is put down with a starting SG of 1039 with should yield about a 5-6% beer :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now the lager kit I used was a Mangrove Jack Australian Series Gold Lager and the lager yeast is Saflager S23. Pitched the yeast at 21C and with the cooler weather it should go down to the mid teens and ferment out in about 2 weeks.

When it comes time to bottle it I'll fire up my old fridge so I can lager the beer for a few weeks at 2-4C then leave for a few more weeks before hooking into it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:38 am

Have a google about a diacetyl rest, it really helps if your using a proper lager yeast.

Also racking and lagering is a good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby howard » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 pm

i had about a 30 year break until covid made me look for a hobby.
i've just moved into kegging beer after bottling everything for a year, so my new toy is ready.
i got a couple of 9.5l cornies that fit perfectly into an Igloo esky, with a sodastream attached.
so if anybody sees this at your local park on kid's birthdays, Bar mitzvahs, funerals etc, it's probably me. :smile:
come over and introduce yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Sam. wrote:Have a google about a diacetyl rest, it really helps if your using a proper lager yeast.

Also racking and lagering is a good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Sam thanks for the advise as it is the first time I've even heard of that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The guy at the HBS said pitch the yeast at 21C then let it get down to 11-15 C and it will ferment out in 2 weeks. The airlock is going off it's tit's and the temp of the ferment is 15C, so when the ferment is done I will take a sample and have a taste to see if it is there. I set my fermenter up on my light box so it will be too easy to get it up 22C once it's done and leave it for a day or 2. I do find with wrapping blankets around the fermenter it does keep the temp nicely. Now with overnight temps getting pretty low by warming it up to 22C and wrapping my sleeping bag around it the temp will stay within a degree or 2 overnight.

Unfortunately my micromite temp sensor project got fried as the blocking diode failed on the ebay relay and sent a spike thru the controller bricking it :angry-banghead: Now i have to dust off my cnc to make a new circuit board and this time I'll put an opto isolator inline so the micro can't get any spikes. Also I will use new components as that diode that failed came from a circuit board I stripped.

Basically the setup is 2off DS18B20 temp sensors where one is placed on the lower section of the fermenter and the other one on the higher section. As the light bulb heats from the bottom a temp differential will be there so when it reachs 4 degrees the relay is turned off turning the light off and the temp is checked until it is the same top and bottom then the light is turned on again for the next cycle. A lcd with touch screen is used and a simple menu system allows for parameter adjustment. Now the pic is a pic32 running basic and with a SD card one can log the temps for the ferment easily.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Putting in the fridge for a couple of weeks does help after give time to carbonise if putting in bottles and priming with sugar and interesting experiment to take out a bottle each day and see if it has changed flavour as seems to change quickly when it does.
wynnum1

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 09, 2021 6:04 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well took another SG reading and the ferment was finished and I was surprised as it finished so high 1012 :scared-eek: so with the priming sugar this batch will be about 3.5% so basically a mid strength beer.

I did have a small taste while bottling and no signs at all of butterscotch :handgestures-thumbupleft: anyway got 79 throw downs bottled and stacked the old fridge which was turned on this morning to cool down before the beer went in. I did have to wear ear plugs too as the noise of my listeroid running was a tad on the loud side :laughing-rolling: but it is better now I done the exhaust. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So the plan is 2 weeks in the fridge to lager then move the bottles to the under bench area I use for the homebrew which is on the non sun side of the shed and a tad cooler. I'll sample one bottle after the 2 weeks and if it's on par like i reckon it will be another ferment is going down and I'll go for a higher SG so I can get a 5% beer.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Ok one week after bottling I took one out of the fridge for a taste and I would swear this is a flat Boags Lager that one drinks after a big night on the Boags :laughing-rolling: So the wait is on and this does look promising so if I do another ferment I will be upgrading the ferment to 60 litres which means buying 2 off concenrates and a heap of malted barely and dextrose. althought the Coppers No.2 did look the goods so maybe 10 of them should bring up the SG so I can get a 5-7% lager and finally get around to filling all those long necks I have out the back of the shed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 22, 2021 9:54 am

Well what a extra week in the fridge can do :handgestures-thumbupleft:

To get this weekend off to a flying start just had to crack on of these lagers to see how they are going :laughing-rolling: Well about the only I can say is i'm off to the HBS after cutting some firewood and putting another Lager ferment on :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Comparing the taste of this lager to the 150 lash's I had last night and this recipe is a winner by a huge margin. Once i get the ingredients for the next batch I'll list them on here for reference as with a bit of aging this lager will be a top shelf beer for a cool winters night infront of the fire.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 22, 2021 1:02 pm

Went to the local HBS and they didn't have the same lager there :angry-banghead: so went with a Dutch lager this time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

500 grams of malt barely
1kg of No.20 mix
3 off 1kg packs of coppers no.2 enhancer
S23 Lager Yeast

Putting the ferment down now and by using the 2 extra ones should get me a higher SG :handgestures-thumbupleft: making for a regular strength beer
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Ended up just using 2 of the No.2 enhancers and got a SG of 1064 :handgestures-thumbupleft: now if i had just gone and put all 3 in the end result would of been shed bombs :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: so got one spare for the next ferment :handgestures-thumbupleft: just gotta seal it up so the mice don't have a banquet :angry-banghead:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Well guy's after 4 weeks in the bottle man is this lager a nice drop :handgestures-thumbupleft: and as I read off the SG and FG about 3.5% after 8 of these babies man does it rock you with a good feeling. Checked the Dutch ferment tonight and after 3 weeks it's down to 1030 so it does look like with the cooler temps this S23 lager yeast does take it's time. Got enough throwdowns for this Dutch ferment then I'm back to the Aussie Gold series which I can keep fermenting until I have the 300 longnecks I have out the back of the shed :laughing-rolling:

I do reckon the longer this lager spends in the bottle the better and man am I glad I started this again as with this first ferment one has have the glass near horizontal to pour the beer which is just like one gets in a pub. :handgestures-thumbupleft: The only difference is this tastes way better than one can buy in a pub :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

Edit: Sticky fingers when it comes to numbers
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:32 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well I reckon I hit the nail on the head with this recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:

one Mangrove Jacks Aussie gold pack, a kg of No.20, 1/2 a kg of malt and a No.2 Coppers Enhancers or two of them and use S23 lager yeast. Let ferment out then the right measure of sugar leave it for a few weeks and man this is better than boags :laughing-rolling: It is simply a top lager period so give it a try :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For a bit of variety got a Dutch Lager a week old so next weekend first tasting :obscene-drinkingchug: just to see if it's ready then time to put another ferment down as the demand is close to fermenting time :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Listo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:58 pm

G’day Ruddy, what’s the number 20 stuff? I love my Boags so I’ll get the gear next time I’m in a town with a brew shop.
Cheers
Listo
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Listo wrote:G’day Ruddy, what’s the number 20 stuff? I love my Boags so I’ll get the gear next time I’m in a town with a brew shop.
Cheers
Listo

G'Day Listo, most if not all homebrew shops will have it so just ask for it and basically it's just a blend of dextrose and malt barely.

Now the S23 lager yeast does finish fermenting very high and with the 2 ferments I've done the FG is around 1016-1018, with my first one my starting SG was 1039 so with the second Dutch Lager I put a second Coopers No.2 Enhancer in and got the SG to 1051.

I find by leaving it for a month after bottling the brew kept a nice head and the glass was clingy after the beer was finished. I did try a Dutch lager after 3 weeks and it still needs more time so like everything with this hobby just hurry up and wait :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Listo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks Ruddy, I’ll be giving that a lap as soon as I’ve got the ingredients. I’ve been kegging mine, so the time I can drink is a pretty quick turn around.
I’ve made the Dutch lager a few times just using the packs that the brew shop in Strathpine (probably no.20 :mrgreen: ), it’s a nice drop too
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Last Sunday I put a double batch of Mangrove Jack's NZ Pale Ale down using blend No.15. Day 8 today and I’ve just boiled 36g of Pride of Ringwood for 40mins and 50g of Galaxy for 10mins add to it. Hopefully it’s a winning combination or that’s a lot of shit beer to work my way through.
This afternoon I’ll be putting down a double of Black Rock Golden Ale using No.15 and 50g of Galaxy boiled for 10mins added straight up.
I’ll give an update in 2 weeks for the pale ale as I’m on call next weekend :cry: :cry: :cry:
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm

I take that back about 50g of Galaxy in the Golden Ale. I didn’t know it froths up like mad when you pour it into boiling water, there’s probably only 30g in the brew now with the other 20 all over the stove top :))
Listo
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Well that second batch I did using the Dutch lager is reminiscent of the reason I gaveup making homebrew beer :angry-banghead: where my first batch was full clingy goodness this batch is no head and flat as a tack. Now I did put the same amount of priming sugar in with both batchs so where it went wrong has got me beat. Now shaking the bottles does show some activity and as prior learning goes open the stubbies outside after shaking :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: this batch didn't even fizz up one bit. So there are going in a few box's to forget about for 6 months and when I get a chance I'll do a reat of batch one.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Beer & Wine