New convert

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New convert

Postby Buttsieus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Hey all,

Have been lurking for a while and thought I better pull my thumb out and join up. Have been wanting to distill for very long time but never wanted to devote head space to understanding how it all works. Am amazed at how simple and complicated it is. Have made myself a 2.5 inch boka and have made some great and some very lousy product but each time I am understanding a bit better. My boka is a bit short but still hits close to 95% (never exactly sure as have never measured temp to adjust accordingly) but is painfully slow. With that said I am in the process of upgrading to a 4 inch plated/packed column. Hope to add some pics of my build soon and no doubt I will have questions upon questions.

Cheers

Buttsieus
Buttsieus

equipment: 2.5” Boka

4” 6 plate (perforated) + 700mm packed section

Re: New convert

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Welcome, great choice in 4" plated column :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Welcome Buttsieus.

Good move upgrading to 4". If you can, make it modular so you can add/remove bits and reconfigure for different products.

What size is your boiler?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Gday mate and welcome aboard. You wont know yourself going from a boka to a bubbler, it'll be the best decision you've ever made :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Buttsieus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Haha maybe not for my pocket. Boiler will be 50l keg but have a 20l stockpot on the boka. Trying to decide how many plates I will make. Trying to fit in as many as I can but it’s going to be monstrous. Life is full of compromise. My goal is to produce gin.
Buttsieus

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:15 pm

4 plates and 500mm packed section will do neutral but I personally like to run a little faster and not strip so i run 6 plates and 500mm packed section and run at 96% at 2.5lph in a single run. If that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm

A 50 litre keg is great fit for a 4" still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

+1 on 4 plates and packed section. 5 plates will be better but you can get away with 4. I run 4 plates due to height restrictions so I strip my washes into low wines first then run them through the column and am very happy with the results.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Buttsieus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

THis maybe a stupid idea but was thinking of up to 16 HETP. I originally thought 10 perforated plates 4” apart (1m total) plus 600mm packed section. Now I am thinking to space it out to 5” and have 8 plates plus 500mm packed section. I don’t know if I am being to carried away with too many plates. Not to worried about height apart from being top heavy and not sure what sort of max height you could realistically go either. I am only wanting to make gin at the moment, I can make another short section to attach to the boiler if when I do.

Am I being over eager on getting too many plates?
Buttsieus

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 pm

I would have thought 5 or 6 plates plus a 500mm packed section would be more than enough for neutral.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm

I would think that would be over doing it but would look impressive.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm

G-day mate ,ifn ya need more than 6plates and a packed section(I run a 600mm packed section )made up of pipe section and sight glass tee's,something aint workin well,and I have found the 1inch caps give a finer neutral than the 2inch caps as well,plus I think you may be surprized how much better your boka wil run on a 50lt boiler too compared to a 20lt stock pot ,its a case of matching the right boiler to the right still ta get the outcome ya need and production speed that makes the best of your time imput.Took me a few years ta realize the quality of wash can make a huge difference as well .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm

If others say they can hit 96% with 4 or 5 plates and a packed section then there is no point in going for more plates as you won't get a higher percentage abv off the still. It will just have more passive heat loss and be less efficient to run.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Buttsieus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:39 am

My thought about so many plates was reading about the taste quality and needing high number of plates to make a good base neutral. I guess the packed section will clean up flavour is that right? Is there any advantage in higher number of plates?

Thanks for your input
Buttsieus

Postby db1979 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am

As hillz said, quality of wash shouldn't be overlooked. You'd be best off building 4 or 5 plates with a packed section and adding extra plates or packed section if you feel you need to later on.
db1979

Postby woodduck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 am

Most say packed section is better than plates for clean neutral. So if anything you'd be better off with 4 plates and 1m of packed section. Once again i think it's overkill but totally upto you. I would like db said start with 5 plates and 500mm of packed and see how it goes. Make your still modular and you can add more plates or packed if you think you need it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am

With 250-300 holes per plate, after the first 4 plates I bet you’ll want to take a break from drilling, unless you’re one of the lucky few with access to a cnc machine. Once again the advantage of a modular build will enable you to add additional plate sections as the need arises or as the sections are built until you vision is transformed from how you picture it in you mind to how it is standing in front of you. I never thought of myself as an artist but those of us that have built or are building our stills, it’s mostly personal preference about what we vision with guidance and suggestions from those around us. So yes listen to everyone, take on board the experience of others and incorporate that info into your build, but this is your still, and I think all bubblers are pieces of art, so make it how you vision to create something special to you.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

A packed section of say 600mm would equal more theoretical plates than say 4 by 150mm sight glass sections with plates,and this means better use of available height wich is a big factor for some ,but others may have little ta no height restrictions ,the idea of using plates and packed section gives the best of both worlds,a 4 plate still for brown spirits etc and the ability with packed section ta make great neutral,my opinion is yes you could go all plates but your still will be taller compared ta one using a packed section,not to forget how picky you may be too,I am pretty picky and may have a higher standard for neutral and have found 5 plates and a 600mm packed section gives me the quality I am lookin for,others may be happy with less,we can give advice to a degree but homeing in on whats good for you is your job,as it is for the rest of us thats why you may hear a variety of recomendations.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Welcome Centre