Vinegar run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Vinegar run

Postby Fireplace01 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:33 am

I can’t quite seem to find out why the vinegar run on a new still
Is it used as a “pickle” for the steam or is there another advantage?
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Re: Vinegar run

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 am

Vinegar is acidic and acid is a very good cleaner! It's effective at removing oxidation. It's also pretty harmless to us humans.
There's probably others but that's off the top of my head
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:28 pm

As coffee said, we do a vinegar run to clean out the inside of the still, especially when its new. there could be stuff like cutting fluids, flux etc that was left behind in the manufacturing process.
after your vinegar run its best to do a sacrificial run also, this gets rid of the vinegar and any more possible "stuff" that's there. don't drink your sac run, but store it and re use it next time you need to clean your still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oh and pickling is usually used as a term to describe treating the surface of brass for use in stills, but we wont open the debate of brass in stills here. :naughty:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Fireplace01 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Sweet I have made a stainless still and used a true acid for pickling all the metal to remove all oxides and sulphates will just give a citric bath and hot wash
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Doubleuj wrote:As coffee said, we do a vinegar run to clean out the inside of the still, especially when its new. there could be stuff like cutting fluids, flux etc that was left behind in the manufacturing process.
after your vinegar run its best to do a sacrificial run also, this gets rid of the vinegar and any more possible "stuff" that's there. don't drink your sac run, but store it and re use it next time you need to clean your still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oh and pickling is usually used as a term to describe treating the surface of brass for use in stills, but we wont open the debate of brass in stills here. :naughty:

:text-+1: I have allways done this to be sure ,and as a standard wich the forum advises I would hope you will to.Some pics of ya still would be noice too.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Pauder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Don't you try dilute your alcohol with vinegar instead of distilled water, wasn't on purpose, just grabbed the wrong bottle. Not recommended :crying-blue:
Pauder

equipment: Copper Still

Postby Pauder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm

hillzabilly wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:As coffee said, we do a vinegar run to clean out the inside of the still, especially when its new. there could be stuff like cutting fluids, flux etc that was left behind in the manufacturing process.

:text-+1: I have allways done this to be sure ,and as a standard wich the forum advises I would hope you will to.Some pics of ya still would be noice too.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

What ratio of vinegar to water do you recommend?
Pauder

Postby db1979 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 am

50/50 is the ratio recommended in kiwi stillers cleaning tutorial.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Pauder » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 pm

db1979 wrote:50/50 is the ratio recommended in kiwi stillers cleaning tutorial.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pauder

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm

You could also use a citric acid solution,you can get citric acid from the HBS in 1kilo bags for about $10 bucks,and use 3-4 tablespoons per 5litres of water,I also use it to clean the copper packing in my packed section also for soaking and cleaning bubble plates and other copper bits.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Pauder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:39 pm

hillzabilly wrote:You could also use a citric acid solution,you can get citric acid from the HBS in 1kilo bags for about $10 bucks,and use 3-4 tablespoons per 5litres of water,I also use it to clean the copper packing in my packed section also for soaking and cleaning bubble plates and other copper bits.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Cheers. Sounds cheaper than buying vinegar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pauder

Postby bluc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Vinegar is only bout $1litre from coles for the homebrand one. But citric will be fine. Never actually thought of citric for cleaning run before but use if for soaking bits....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Beginners Questions