Pure Distilling High Yield Tap

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Pure Distilling High Yield Tap

Postby zurichonline » Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 am

Hey guys! I run a Pure Distilling Reflux and have noticed they have designed a new tap upgrade called the 'High Yield Tap' which apparently gives a larger yield in much less time. My question is, would using this tap reduce the proof of the final product and would it be a good accessory for this particular condenser? Thanks! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
zurichonline

equipment: CM Reflux on a 25L boiler, Pure Distilling Reflux on a 25L boiler

Re: Pure Distilling High Yield Tap

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 am

Welcome mate, sounds like a silly gimmick to me but there are members on here that have these and may be better advised then me.

Don't forget to drop in the welcome centre and introduce yourself properly.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Sam. » Sat May 09, 2015 9:03 am

Whiskyaugogo wrote:Don't forget to drop in the welcome centre and introduce yourself properly.

:text-+1:

Once you know how a still runs you will realize what they are suggesting may be beneficial for a stripping run but that's about it ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby zurichonline » Sun May 10, 2015 7:40 am

I bit the bullet and got the upgraded tap. Did a 23L TPW run yesterday, and it completed in about 2.5 hours (once boiling) and yielded about 3L at 96% (measured at 20C). So for this particular condenser it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade to give a slightly better yield and definitely saving over an hour of usual distillation time.
zurichonline

Postby WTDist » Sun May 10, 2015 1:09 pm

High yeald? i didn't know a tap changed alcohol content in your wash and squeezed out more than you put in 8-}

the rate at which you can collect is proportional to you column width. you can go faster but smearing occurs.

A 2 inch reflux may do 1.2L per hour but it may do 2L per hour but that would have some major smearing

If you want to go faster get a larger diameter column :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby zurichonline » Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 pm

WTDist wrote:High yeald? i didn't know a tap changed alcohol content in your wash and squeezed out more than you put in 8-}

the rate at which you can collect is proportional to you column width. you can go faster but smearing occurs.

A 2 inch reflux may do 1.2L per hour but it may do 2L per hour but that would have some major smearing

If you want to go faster get a larger diameter column :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I didn't realise that either! Bonus!

However after now using both, my personal experience has shown that indeed more spirit is collected and in less time than the original tap as the manufacturer claimed. I'm also guessing that's the same reason why it's been suggested by other members here that it's a good idea to change the taps on these particular condensers, and why the manufacturer has finally made these new taps available and standard equipment on these condensers.
zurichonline

Postby WTDist » Sun May 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Im still surprised that still spirits still use the plastic cap. I bet they are worried people will use it as pot and a reflux but this can be easily fixed in their design flaw :violence-stickwhack:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Andyj986 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 pm

zurichonline wrote:I bit the bullet and got the upgraded tap. Did a 23L TPW run yesterday, and it completed in about 2.5 hours (once boiling) and yielded about 3L at 96% (measured at 20C). So for this particular condenser it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade to give a slightly better yield and definitely saving over an hour of usual distillation time.

Hummm, Seems like I may need to purchase this upgrade.
Only got my kit a week ago, haven't even done a run yet haha.
I'd say that the upgrade valve is larger in diameter?
I could probably make my own for less than half of the cost.
Andyj986

equipment: Copper LM Reflux

Postby ed9362 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 am

im pretty sure the newer models come with the upgraded tap as standard.

no idea what the difference is
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Andyj986 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:37 am

ed9362 wrote:im pretty sure the newer models come with the upgraded tap as standard.

no idea what the difference is

Thanks mate,
I have a red coloured tap on mine, and the one on thei YouTube channel has a black tap back in 2013 I believe.
I guess the red tap is the new high yield one, won’t know for sure till I do a run and base it on time.
Andyj986

equipment: Copper LM Reflux

Postby prawnz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:36 am

Is this alcohol production or alchemy ?

I dont understand how a tap can increase the amount of alcohol in a wash . If you are collecting more than 2.5 lt from a std TPW there must be a lot of tails in there . The wy I understand it the maximum amount of alcohol a wash can produce is directly proportional to the amount of sugar / sucrose available .

Then again , I was wrong once before so it could have happened again :-B
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am

prawnz wrote:Is this alcohol production or alchemy ?

I dont understand how a tap can increase the amount of alcohol in a wash . If you are collecting more than 2.5 lt from a std TPW there must be a lot of tails in there . The wy I understand it the maximum amount of alcohol a wash can produce is directly proportional to the amount of sugar / sucrose available .

Then again , I was wrong once before so it could have happened again :-B

:laughing-rolling:

I assume it means “high flow” which will equate to poorer product.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ed9362 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm

I have no idea what the new tap does, i usually only have it about a quarter open when I'm running a spirit run. I have noticed that it doesn't close all the way though
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Return to Accessories