G'day all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day all

Postby Shinytom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm

G'day, sorry to be so formal but... My name is Tom I live on the darling downs QLD, I have been distilling on and off for over 10 years but unfortunately I have just been doing shitty sugar/Dex wash's on turbo's, polishing the shit out of them and you guessed it using essences :angry-banghead: so I always thought I was doing awesome but no! fortunately however about 1 year ago the tight ass in me kicked in and I discovered rum from molasses and bourbon style whiskey from grain! And so far results have been promising ( I can consistently get around a 1.070 G conversion with I corn/barley/wheat mash and have recently been drinking a nice rum aged on oak for 3 months)
My current rig is a old school still spirits reflux ( the one with the marble in the column) that I have detuned by removing the marble and bypassing the colum cooler so for all intents and purposes it is a pot still on a 30lt boiler, and yes it is slow like 4 hrs to strip a wash and 8 to 10 hrs for a x3 spirt run ( with the colum cooler reconnected so I have a little reflux and output control) I do however have a 50 L keg lined up for my new pot still time and money permitting. Any way I look forward to being a member here sharing ideas and experiences ect.
Oh yeah a big thank you to Brendan, his AG tutorials have been really helpful.
Shinytom

equipment: Detuned ss reflux

Re: G'day all

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 pm

G-day mate and welcome to the crew,sounds like ya making progress and looking for bigger and better outcomes.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Professor Green » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 am

Welcome to AD Tom.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Such a glorious day when you figure out that turbo products are absolute rubbish and it can be made not only better but cheaper as well :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Plumby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi Tom, welcome to the wonderful journey down the rabbit hole. Where about on the darling downs are you? I'm in Toowoomba.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Shinytom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Plumby wrote:Hi Tom, welcome to the wonderful journey down the rabbit hole. Where about on the darling downs are you? I'm in Toowoomba.

Hey mate I am bout half way between tbar and Warwick and work in tbar,
Do you use Toowoomba home brew supplies? Great guys and awesome with AG beer although outside of the T500 they don't seem to know much about distilling. Are you into AG's, rum etc?
Shinytom

Postby Shinytom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Sam. wrote:Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Such a glorious day when you figure out that turbo products are absolute rubbish and it can be made not only better but cheaper as well :D

True dat! Kinda got me stuffed how home brew beer kits can make such a fine drop then the best a big company can come up with for home spirits is that shit! Not even concentrated whiskey wash in a can or anything.
Shinytom

Postby Shinytom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Sam. wrote:Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

True dat, kinda got me stuffed how home brew beer kits can make such a fine drop then the best that a big company can come up with for home spirits is that shit! Not even concentrated whiskey wash in a can or anything.
Shinytom

Postby Plumby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 pm

I did use them when I was making beer, also brought my first still off them and did the turdbo thing for a while until I found this great site.
I stopped going to them when they told me that the TPW recipe was only good for making poison and most commercial distilleries use turbo yeast when stocks get low. :)) :laughing-rolling: . The reception I got when I told them I had made my own still was less than accommodating also, so I do not go there unless its absolutely necessary.
Anyway, I have been making ujsm for a while and when stocks get up I'll make some rum.
Most of the rural feed stores in town have all the ingredients I need and I found a place in Nobby that sells cracked corn for $15 for a 25kg bag. :snooty:
Last edited by Plumby on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Shinytom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Plumby wrote:I did use them when I was making beer, also brought my first still off them and did the turdbo thing for a while until I found this great site.
I stopped going to them when they told me that the TPW recipe was only good for making poison and most commercial distilleries use turbo yeast when stocks get low. :)) :laughing-rolling: . The reception I got when I told them I had made my own still was less than accommodating also, so I do not go there unless its absolutely necessary.
Anyway, I have been making ujsm for a while and when stocks get up I'll make some rum.
Most of the rural feed stores in town have all the ingredients I need and I found a place in Nobby that sells cracked corn for $15 for a 25kg bag. :snooty:

Yeah they can be a little one sided around there, but quite friendly when you get to know them like they'll let me hang a deer up in the cold room and will answer all my dumbass questions about mashing ect.
I'm in greenmount so just down the road from Nobby Iv been getting my cracked corn at floral park produce just next to the eaton vale servo I think I only paid $17 for a 25kg last time Maybe? it goes a long way. And they sell Molly in 15 kg's for $25 I think? that will make a fair bit of rum without having to store a shit load of Molly. Where are you getting your oak from?
Shinytom

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 am

The cracked corn does go a long way that's for sure, my better half got me a kg of American oak for my birthday year before last, not sure where she got it from, eBay I'd guess. I also got a little French oak from a member here when I brought my olive drum fermenter.
Plumby

Postby Shinytom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

Cool, Bunnings has ex wine barrel chunks for smoking that I have read are good for rum aging and BBQ' galor have JD and JB chips that smell quite strongly of burbon,could be worth a try. Fermenting olives hey? I have a big olive tree that gets loaded every year I have never done anything with them, take as many as you like mate.
Shinytom

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am

Lol dont think he is fermenting olives :laughing-rolling: drums the 200l olives are transported in make awesome fermenters :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 pm

bluc wrote:Lol dont think he is fermenting olives :laughing-rolling: drums the 200l olives are transported in make awesome fermenters :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Plumby

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Roll out the barrel at clontarf will post oak
From memory it's $5 a kg plus postage

And welcome to the madness
Last edited by RC Al on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Shinytom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Well what do you don't with them to make them eatable? Ferment/ pickle in brine I'm told, offer stands to anyone who wants them we don't really eat them seems a shame to let them all go, you'll need a driver of course all home brewers who turn up need to try my product, can't improve otherwise :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Shinytom

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Get some amalize and ferment them
Olive flavored Gin?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm

What sort of olives are they?

The green oil olives arnt very good eating, only ones I have had success with is kalamata
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Shinytom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Like black eating olives, I have thought about fermenting them too much oil though I reckon
Shinytom

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm

I think you can get them in brine good wash and they should work. I cant say I woyld enjoy it :puke-huge: couple a couple times a year is about all I can handle..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Next

Return to Welcome Centre