Storage in stainless

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Storage in stainless

Postby ScoobieSnack » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Hey,
I'm just curious, why stainless over glass for storage?
What type of stainless vessel and where would you get one?
ScoobieSnack

equipment: Home made reflux. I have made a stainless steel reflux sort of similar to a t500 but ive added a gin head at the top of the reflux before the condenser. I've packed 6 metres of 1/2" copper tube cut into 1cm and squished for saddles. I'm producing 95% from this set-up.

Re: Storage in stainless

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Nothing wrong with glass for storage. It's what the majority of people here use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby The Stig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm

The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby ScoobieSnack » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm

It'll take some time for the wisdom to come.

Thanks Stig for the link :)
ScoobieSnack

equipment: Home made reflux. I have made a stainless steel reflux sort of similar to a t500 but ive added a gin head at the top of the reflux before the condenser. I've packed 6 metres of 1/2" copper tube cut into 1cm and squished for saddles. I'm producing 95% from this set-up.

Postby Buzz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 am

ScoobieSnack wrote:I'm just curious, why stainless over glass for storage?

Across the wine, beer and spirits industries stainless steel tanks are the overwhelming choice for storage of product as it provides a controlled temperature environment. Wine and spirits can also be stored by the commercial players in oak barrels at a greater expense than storage in stainless tanks. All three industries do store their product in glass but usually only wine and spirits are kept for a short time in storage. All three makers store their product in glass for distribution and sale.
With the big players it all comes down to manufacturing cost and market price.
With the hobbyist it is more about need I.e. size of storage vessel, whats available and suitable for storage and cost.
Buzz

equipment: FSD 4" pot with work started on a keg boiler
and a 20 year old Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am

Glass will injure if you have an accident and if large can be severe .
wynnum1

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm

The big blokes would use stainless because it is stronger and safer. Could you imagine running into a 1000ltr glass jar full of whiskey with a forklift?

Nothing wrong with glass mate. I like it as I can see how much it's colouring up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I just got fed up with having 5lt demi's laying around so looked for a larger vessel

woodduck wrote: I like it as I can see how much it's colouring up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can see how much its colouring up by drawing a little out and I get to taste it at the same time :obscene-birdiedoublered:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Good call :laughing-rolling:

I have to do that with my barrel from time to time so I don't miss out too much :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Beginners Questions