What in God’s name is making my spirit ‘twangy’

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: What in God’s name is making my spirit ‘twangy’

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 am

I don’t think it’s the tpw, especially after carbon filtering. But if you think it doesn’t taste right as neutral then there could be something in the process. I use tpw for my gin with just a strip & then through the bubbler with basket in for hearts only and have no problem at all. I’m south of Melbourne, and always happy to taste lol. I’ll PM you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby YarraRanges » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

Try making clean neutral from your TPW before doing the gin run.
Making a gin while doing a spirit run is one way to bugger up a gin as different oils come out at different ABVs. Rose doesn't come out until you are down to 20%. If you are recovering spirit at that you are into damned awful tails. By doing it with a clean neutral diluted back to 45% you can run from the start to as low as you like with no fear of having to deal with heads or tails. It just makes the job so much easier.
Looking at BlondeChaps recipe from my experience I'd say there is way too much citrus for the size of the run.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:05 pm

I don’t think it’s the TPW either. I beleive Doc uses a TPW for his base due to it’s neutral qualities. I would be looking at the cuts.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Rolls912 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks.

So is the bran wash the ducks nuts for the best neutral sprit? Is that a universal consensus? I would have thought it would be better for oak barrels etc... what’s the verdict? :wtf:

Cuts. I’ve been hunting down the cuts angle for the last 3 or 4 months. I’ve read up about it, watched vids etc. Don’t know what else to do / how to get better at it. I’m kinda stumped.
Last edited by Rolls912 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 am

Like many aspects in distilling people will have their own opinions.

Many swear by TPW, many by WBAB, many by kale etc.

Run a heap yourself and see if you notice any difference.

My gut feeling is a lot of people start with a TPW and use that as their learning wash and by the time they move onto others they have refined their skills and this makes the other ones somewhat better ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 am

As has been mentioned there's easier washes to get tasting right but tpw when properly cleaned up is very neutral.
My last neutral run of tpw was a flying success, the ball and chain exclaimed by far the best neutral to date no flavour or smell and almost a hint of sweetness on the front pallet kind of like a glass of water gets after being run through a good carbon filter.
It would take alot of runs in a t500 to get that though. With a t500 you might be better off with a wash that tastes good to start with that if there's a hint of flavour left it's not a bad thing.

How many runs through the t500 are you doing for the tpw?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby coffe addict » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 am

Oh and as a guide I usually keep a third of the total take on the spirit run ie 6L total I'll usually keep pretty close to 2L.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Rolls912 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm

i usually will run:
1 x pot
2 x reflux
1 x carbon
Rolls912

5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Rolls912 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 pm

This question relates to another post. I sill don’t clearly understand the answer.

Is the T500 a dud unit, or does it produce the right gin product with some finessing?

If I purchased a proper whiz bang still for a couple large, would that produce purer tasting neutral?
Rolls912

5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby woodduck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Not sure about the making gin in a T500 thing, never done it and not sure how well it would work? But as for the T500 and neutral spirit, it's fine. It is a bit slow but it will make a nice neutral from what I've read. Plenty of people here have used them and had good resaults. A bigger more expence still will make it quicker and that still (I'm assuming where talking about a bubbler) can be used to make brown spirits (whiskeys and rums) and gins as well. It would be far more versitle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lowie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Have a crack at Teddys FFV mate. I find that recipe to be a great neutral grain tasting base. I started with TPW as many have but ditched that pretty quick due to the twangy after taste. I agree with the others, I doubt it is your botanical list as gin is pretty much all I make atm - in between rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions