Hello from Perth

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Perth

Postby Sneakyvarious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 am

Gday All,

Stumbled across this fantastic forum whilst researching how i could make my own spirits - Initially whiskey but I'm sure once I get going the other half will want me to have a crack at vodka or gin.

I like to get my hands dirty and am thinking I'm going to build as much as i can myself, probably going to go with a pot still to start off but am yet undecided about a boiler, maybe a keg.

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

S
Sneakyvarious

equipment: Noob looking for information

Re: Hello from Perth

Postby Professor Green » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 am

Welcome sneaky.

Your plan to start off with a pot still is a solid one and you'll be making great brown spirits with it in no time. If you make it modular, you'll be able to add more bits later on to turn it into a reflux still for making neutral/vodka.

There's heaps of build info in the pot still section to get your ideas flowing.

You'll probably need a voltage controller to set the take off rate for your spirit runs unless you're planning on running on gas.

As for boilers, the 50 litre kegs is a very good choice for home distillation. Another option is a milk can boiler.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 pm

G-day mate and welcome to another westy,read plenty check out the newbies and library section,equipment for grain mashing can cost more than a simple pot still so check out what others are useing too.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby EziTasting » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 pm

hillzabilly wrote:G-day mate and welcome to another westy,read plenty check out the newbies and library section,equipment for grain mashing can cost more than a simple pot still so check out what others are useing too.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:

Always good to 'balance' this forum with more Sandgropers! Don't underestimate the "Newbies Section" it is a fantastic collation of every bit of information you could possibly be asking!
Even after 12 months (or so) I'm still in there predominantly, poking my nose into other threads occasionally.

Welcome and don't be shy.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Return to Welcome Centre