whisky all grain

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: whisky all grain

Postby bluc » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm

2l exactly at 65% from 3rd lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ezi do you use the same yeast in the sugarhead? Is it better than lowans Thinking of moving away from lowans..
Last edited by bluc on Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

bluc wrote:2l exactly at 65% from 3rd lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ezi do you use the same yeast in the sugarhead? Is it better than lowans Thinking of moving away from lowans..

I did this time, yes.

I feel that each of the recipes that I’ve done has on underlying flavour which I put down to lowans yeast... it’s not a bad taste but it makes my neutral, CFW, rum and first couple of AGs all seem to have a similar taste.
Since you to EC1118 & the American Whisky yeast I get very different and, to me, cleaner flavours!

My opinion!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Yea finding the same prob time for me to up my game..I know big diff from all grain and sugarhead but thought it was due to all grain, prob is the yeast.
I might take docs advice on the neutral yeast
By uvaferm..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby coffe addict » Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

My last two barley mashes have been using us05 the smell is so much better both as wash and coming off the still. I can't say how much of that is due to the yeast and how much is due to a process change that I've adopted at the same time. Possibly a bit of both but there's a big improvement. Now just need to wait a yr to see how much difference the end product gets lol.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 17, 2018 6:42 pm

coffe addict wrote:My last two barley mashes have been using us05 the smell is so much better both as wash and coming off the still. I can't say how much of that is due to the yeast and how much is due to a process change that I've adopted at the same time. Possibly a bit of both but there's a big improvement. Now just need to wait a yr to see how much difference the end product gets lol.

Haha just repeat the process with Bakers yeast and you'll find out reeeeeaaalll fast! :doh:
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 am

Haha too true ezi but I also can just have another drink and be content with improved whisky with out ever knowing how much is due to the yeast :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Minijcw » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

After a good result in making the mash it all fell apart on the first stripping run. I had more foam than a cafe at peak morning trade. I even thought my boiler was stuffed because it was not making the usual heating up sounds.
I used butter until i ran our of it and then i loaded it up with some olive oil. All of which did SFA.

To get the gear out in the end i ran in it 2 X 10L runs in a 30L boiler. I made the change half way through the run when the puking just got too bad.

I am a little gun shy to do the next mash. Just wanted to check if you guys are having same issues with foam and what you do about it.
If you are not having foam ups what am i missing in the mash process.
Cheers.
Minijcw

equipment: 4inch 5 star pot still on a keg. Copperhead pot still

Postby bluc » Fri May 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Yes all grain is very well known for wanting to puke. Hopefully you dont get flavour carry over from butter oil.. bring it up to temp gently or boil it hard then turn off for 10-15mins then heat back up helps to apparently..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Minijcw » Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks mate i will give it a slower heat up next time and see what happens.
Minijcw

equipment: 4inch 5 star pot still on a keg. Copperhead pot still

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Being a lazy person, I run my boiler the same way each time! When it pukes, kill the power, then as it settles turn it back on... it all settles down after that.

It’s unfermentable sugars that do it.
EziTasting

Postby woodduck » Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 am

EziTasting wrote:Being a lazy person, I run my boiler the same way each time! When it pukes, kill the power, then as it settles turn it back on... it all settles down after that.

It’s unfermentable sugars that do it.

I'm even lazier, I just use a thumper :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 am

Love your work, Wooddy!
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm

What temp was the mash? I've found 63c manageable but the one that was done at 66c was unbearable to run. Also when I changed to a pump recirculating the whole time I'm mashing helps to filter out some of the proteins resulting in a cleaner wort which is easier to strip.
I boil hard then turn off for 15mins then slowly back to temp. Always leave 20L head space in my boiler on whisky runs, they make rum look like child's play :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Quick question to you grain guys, when conversion happens does the grain drop to the bottom or does it stay suspended like porridge? And then you sparge/strain???? :wtf:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Quick question to you grain guys, when conversion happens does the grain drop to the bottom or does it stay suspended like porridge? And then you sparge/strain???? :wtf:

I'm not that experienced as yet but for me theres not that much extra water in the FV to make it a 'suspension' as such... but I have found that the grain does eventually groups together and then does sink... so when the yeast is finished the lot seems to precipitate out and you are left with a layer of beautiful brown beer on top.
The grain seems to retain around 1L /1Kg of grain so I am currently using an old bedsheet top strain the grain...
EziTasting

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 pm

No I’m referring to the actual mash & conversion process, before yeast is added. I have grain & hot water in a bucket, it’s like a watery porridge. So the grain is in suspension as such. After a couple hours. Does it stay that way? Then strain & sparge? Or like a finished wash, does the grain sink and the mash “clear” like a finished wash??
Dig Brinker

Postby bluc » Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Ezi is on the money With all grain it aint like a sgarhead with a bit of grain on bottom. The mash tun is pretty well chockers with grain. Maybe inch liquid above it grain from top of vessel to false bottom.
To put it into perspective in a 60l tun. 14 kilo of grain at a mash thickness of 1 to 3 so 42l water 14 kg grain you have literally 5mm space to overflowing..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun May 27, 2018 9:23 pm

I am going to be experinenting whith a different setup grain goes in one vessel and liquid in another and is contantly recylced. Bonus is more grain can be mashed in same size vessel..and a much higher effeciency..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 27, 2018 9:28 pm

I also find that when the yeast is active, the grain ‘stays’ in suspension!

But yes, I found that there will be a small separation at the end... it’s just NOT as Distiller it as with sugarheads!
EziTasting

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks guys, it seems to have thinned out somewhat and has a bit of peaty sweetness so I reckon it’s ready to strain & sparge. Not making a full all-grain, just the base for a fine scotch Whisky from tried & proven recipes. Don’t have iodine test but will get for next time.
Dig Brinker

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun