Bryan's Bubbler Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bryan's Bubbler Build

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Cool vids the bubbler looks awesome. I did the same in my fermenter but went one step further with a female threaded fitting and a bazooka screen filter :handgestures-thumbupleft: Do you have a leak is that why its not loading properly?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm

The next installment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonH5ok ... e=youtu.be

Bluc the plate tree was filled with water and left for 2 days with no drop in the water level, now with all connections I made on checking with a mirror no signs of a leak so it just comes down to that burner not providing enough BTU's to load up all 4 plates. I found running at 3 psi was the best I could do without it flaming out which in terms of heat aint much.

I do have 4 more video's to go and they are slowly getting there.

Gotta say as this was my first run using feints the output was greater than the 40 litre run I did yesterday.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby A&O » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Brilliant work Bryan :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Ok 3 more to add and for all those doubters about my cnc watch and learn :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

https://youtu.be/Q-MV5bii89s

https://youtu.be/X9l8meM_caA

https://youtu.be/BONqRD-XY7M
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 pm

and finally the last one

https://youtu.be/r4bgIUFy_rY

Now I did download some video editing software and after 4 attempts to join them only showed the software would work if one payed for it :scared-eek: hence the single numbered video's.

anyway a good day all round and most of all enjoy.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Love your cnc have always wanted one. Maybe a co2 laser one day :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby scythe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 am

Nice cnc router, what have you made with it?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:11 pm

G'day Scythe, the main things I've made in the cnc are circuit boards and the last board I did was quite large, got 95% milled then the old computer hung and ruined the board. :angry-banghead:

So the quest was on to find a 32 bit computer with some grunt which took a few years but I did find one so stuck 10 gig of ram in it and it does seem to run better.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bourbonplumbing » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 am

I haven't read the thread through, as i'm off to work soon so you might have already been told or figured it out yourself ... but the 4" elbow is not a push fit fitting, it's either B-press or viega propress both require a press tool to connect correctly although they may possibly seal just pushed in.
bourbonplumbing

equipment: T 500 with a copper condenser. And a bucket

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well ran the first of the CFW wash's on the weekend and found I had a leak at the top of the PC and it was dripping down next to the boiler. :think: So rather than shut it down just put a moccano jug to catch the drips throughout the run and changed the jug over every 5 minutes as there were getting warm :scared-eek:. I've left the cuts to air for a couple of days and with 2 more runs to go should have around 10 litres of 65% to put on oak ready for the next xmas.

Anyway today found out by doing the water test the easy flange on the blockhead to the pc the soldering had cracked. :angry-banghead: also found a small leak on the 45 degree join too :angry-banghead: . Anyway cleaned up both joins, put some flux on and re-soft soldered the joins. Did the water test and after 4 hours no drop in water and externally no water present. So back on the still it went and I'll have to be a tad more careful when I strip and move the still as I reckon a knock caused the problem.

Also got my listeroid all setup with the radiator out my old subi proving to be a good donor and trying to find 32mm ID heater hose on saturday was the pits. :handgestures-thumbdown: So went to Sprint Auto and got shown to the back room where a wall of hoses was before me. So after a look picked out 4 hoses and in the end only needed 3. Ran the engine for 5-6 hours today to charge the shed battery as my wind turbine blades finally fell victim to the weather.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well finally found why I had a leak atthe top of the PC as the 3" triclamp nut had bound up and stripped so it wasn't putting enough pressure to make a seal. :angry-banghead:

Anyway as I was close to finishing the new 4" blockhead for the carter head so made a new 4" endcap and put all the easy flanges on. All I have to do to finish the blockhead is cut a few sits and solder in some plates to hold the gin basket and then the carterhead will be finished and ready for action after another 120 litre TPW ferment.

new still setup.jpg

sorry the pic is a tad grainy but that 1 meg limit on photos can be a pain at times.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 pm

She looks nice, though!

And thru all the troubles, you are learning more about your rig than if everything just went 'plain' sailing...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 pm

EziTasting wrote:
And thru all the troubles, you are learning more about your rig than if everything just went 'plain' sailing...

Yep sure are and now I have the 16hp listeroid going I can setup a 3Kw element and have the 3hp aircon going to just so I can load up the engine, I am thinking of going elements off my inverter 2400 watts would be the max on the inverter. I am thinking of making a new shed away from the house and shed to install the listeroid setup and have a silent power grid on the farm. Just have to hire a franner to move the said generator setup and either get a excavator or hire a mob to come in and do the trench's for the power grid. On Sunday I may have to in the heatup time to get that 250 litre copper hot water tank over and have a peek to see if it can make a boiler out of it. I will need to make a decent fill port in it so can get in to clean out all the crud of the mains. But thats a later project as the carterhead does need finishing and a run done with it.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Haha lots of work and so little time!

I dream of changing my roof to a Tin-roof so I can Solar the Fluff out of it! The Carport as well ... we have so much sun here its amazing!

Unlimited Power.png

Then I can use all the electrickery I want/need!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Eh as I live off grid I am in charge of making sure the SWMBOS are catered for then it's a free run for me. I'm sure when the carterhead runs it may have some admires so it my be worth doing. eh think a 40% wash going a carterhead must have some taste profiles.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:38 pm

That's a really nice build Bryan1. I love the look of an all copper still.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Your cooling water setup looks confusing, maybe it's just the photo. It looks like it enters at the bottom of the RC :handgestures-thumbupleft: and then enters at the top of the PC :think: before combining after the PC. The Gold standard for plumbing condensers is: in at the bottom, out at the top.

Oh and nice build :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gotta love all copper.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:20 pm

How is the new blockhead build going? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:28 pm

bluc wrote:How is the new blockhead build going? :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bluc the blockhead is shown in that last pic I put up, as far as the carterhead goes it's on the back seat as I don't really need to run it as I have a heap of stock already and secondly I'd need around 30 litres of neutral to do a decent run.

With reports of the bubble part (glass) needing draining to get rid of excess oils I do need to make a new lower section and get somemore solder in BSP fittings for the drain tap.

I am thinking with next summer with the hot temps of finally putting that 200 litre olive drum that I used to use as a water reservoir for my pot still back when I first started into service doing a 200 litre TPW wash.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

G'day Guy's,
Well Sam did bring up a good point about my setup for making neutral where I had the packed section above the RC. So this morning got to it and did a totally new setup where the 500mm packed section is below the RC and the 400mm blockhead still has plenty of roof clearance :happy-partydance

The drain tap below the parrot kept leaking so I changed it to a ball valve and now it shouldn't leak. I did find that trade flame from bunnings is total crap as it took a good 10 minutes just to hard solder a 1/2 pipe into the tee piece. So when a few leaves off the cabbage can be spared I'm going to buy a bottle of oxy and go back to oxy/lpg and just use the tradeless flame torch for soft soldering.

With this new setup I do need to make a 3" section to bring the height of the parrot down but for now a 1/2 joiner and a bit more 1/2 copper pipe will do to get the output lower.

neutral setup.jpg

As the still has had a citric acid bath after today jobbies I'm going to run it doing a distilled water run to ensure it nice and clean for the next run.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills