Gin Basket ..In-line or Off-set ?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Gin Basket ..In-line or Off-set ?

Postby Wraith71 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Been trying a few sites on the infusion gizmos .. and since I don't have anything to compare with , I'm hoping if I put it out there some one has tried them.
Lets face it unless you build one the cost's are from $400's+ to $1000's …
If you go down the inline path .. not a hard build just a bubble Tee and a basket to fill with ingredients BUT does it go above or below the RC ?… or the whole off set beast with a bottom drain and more pipes than a Russian dunny ..
I'm trying to make spiced rum and the obvious Gin ..
Any help guys ..
Cheers.. :-B
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Re: Gin Basket ..In-line or Off-set ?

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Inline basket should sit above the RC. That way you can put the unit into full reflux to change the basket. One drawback of this is that the heavy oils will fall down into your boiler and can be a bit messy to clean up.

Offset (carter head style) should still go after the RC for the same reason as the inline version. The benefit of this design is that the heavier oils collect in the oil reservoir at bottom and can be drained off as required.

There's a good thread on carter heads here
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 am

An inline gin head can be designed to avoid heavy oils going back down into the boiler if it has a drain off to the side and inline with the top of the bottom plate of the gin head. Obviously no downcomer. A sight glass could be used (or a glass module) placed some height above the drain to keep an eye on the fluid depth.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:31 am

Magnus built an inline gin head.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 am

Here it is
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9942#p171038

Read it all the way through, he starts off experimenting with downcomers but then eliminates it all together for a drain only. Ironically though he says he uses it offset anyway because of height limitations.
db1979

Postby coffe addict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

I've got an inline gin basket and just give everything a clean afterwards. I plan it so I make a minimum 6month supply so cleaning doesn't become an issue.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Wraith71 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am

Hey Thanks guys.. I was a bit sus with the whole oils bit .. I can be a bit of a Mr Sheen clean type .. bug's the crap outta Mrs Wraith when she finds bit in the dish washer , spa , shower ect .. LOL
Has anyone had an issue with weight and the off set ?
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm

You can set it up so that the feed to the gin thumper goes off in one direction and the vapour outlet and condenser go off in the opposite direction to balance the weight out a little.
there are some pictures in this thread: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10772&p186853#p186853.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 pm

db1979 wrote:Here it is

Read it all the way through, he starts off experimenting with downcomers but then eliminates it all together for a drain only. Ironically though he says he uses it offset anyway because of height limitations.

Thanks db, that's an interesting read.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Wraith71 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Professor Green wrote:
db1979 wrote:Here it is

Thanks db, that's an interesting read.

Well worthwhile read .. a pic says a thousand words .. thanks db and Prof
Wraith71

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:32 am

I am a an of the offset Carter head or two reasons...the obvious one is that the oils from the botanicals can be taken, without them dripping into the boiler... but the main reason is to be able to change the botanicals easily... I never run botanicals or more than 25 minutes... the offset head enables me to change baskets easily with 6 baskets to a run ...this is essential...
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Peregian » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am

My take on a Carter type gin basket.................

All copper attaches to the boiler and as it is a heavy unit it has a supporting stand............uses the pot still condenser........has a valve at the bottom to drain the oils into a jar and has a sight glass to check on oil level.
Don't have the luxerey of swapping baskets but have had good results so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 am

Wraith71 wrote: Has anyone had an issue with weight and the off set ?

You can balance it out a bit (and add a bungee.lol)
EC08CE86-F55C-4115-AB09-0A9DFB7BF011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am

This is our answer to the offset weight of the Carter Head...It is modular so we simply re configured it so it is hard against the column and then cable tied them together.
Doc

aaa-web-still.jpg
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Peregian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am

the Doctor wrote:This is our answer to the offset weight of the Carter Head...It is modular so we simply re configured it so it is hard against the column and then cable tied them together.
Doc

aaa-web-still.jpg

I can only dream of such amazing equipment.

Thanks Doc, great shot of your gin set-up.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Return to Accessories