Hi everyone!!!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi everyone!!!

Postby tox » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:21 pm

Have been reading for about a month or so, still really have no idea so instead of more theory, I am going to slap up some practical... I am still getting the equip ready (picked the pieces up bit by bit on the cheap) so just have to drill some holes and I will be away.

I really don't have any questions as most of the things I think about are already asked and well written about.

I am keen to try the cornflake wash to start. Should be fun/interesting.

Chat soon.

†ox
tox

equipment: T5oo copper, alcoengine potstill

Re: Hi everyone!!!

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Welcome mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I found a lot of stuff finally stuck in when i started putting things into practice and had a crack at it!
Have fun with it tox.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am

Welcome to AD tox.

Please remember to make sure whatever you build is safe. I see in your profile you're using an old urn - are you sure you can seal it properly? You don't want ethanol vapour escaping whilst you're running it, that could be very, very bad. :law-policered:

Also, we like build pics!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Hey mate welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

You will learn heaps as you go as long as you are safe about it. Maybe a photo of your still so we can have a quick look over it to make sure it's safe to use.

The main thing you need to read is the newbies corner all the basics are in there. It will give you a good start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck mate.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Adrnlnrush » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm

From one newbie to another Hi
Adrnlnrush

equipment: SS 3 in 1 Fermenter and reflux condenser
2' pot still with 50L keg - gas burner
Borrowed 2' plate boka

Postby Coastie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 pm

WELCOME!!!
Coastie

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Column & 2" Copper Pot Still

Postby tox » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Hay all,

Thanks so much for the kind welcome.

It has a twist locking lid and I was doing some reading regarding a type of gasket knowing that rubber is out of the question.

I shall upload some pix when it is ready to rock and roll. I am pretty toey about safety myself and do appreciate the concern. The very last thing I want to do it have to explain it to anyone why something went wrong that could have been avoided quite easily.
tox

Postby Lowie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby tox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Hay guys,

I have finally put down my first wash. As I was so excited.....I didn't take photos along the way which now looking back it would have been cool. Been so busy looking for work and family stuff that I haven't even made any more movement towards putting the rig together, but the ingredients for the wash have been sitting there for a week so I thought I should get that done and that way I am forcing myself to get it going!!!

So I have done a corn flake wash:

500gm Woolies corn flakes (I checked the ingredient list against the proper ones and the woolies brand have malt extract higher but other than that theres 1-2(I think( % more corn and no other difference)
4kgs white sugar
3 tbls bakers yeast (activated with cup of hotish water and a good whack of honey) on a side note, I have been baking bread for one of the boys we used to care for and always did the yeast thing in honey as part of the recipe, it fires up really well, nearly went over the bowl so I had to chuck it into a pot.
1 Medium lemon (hand squeezed as I couldn't find the juicer thingy)

Heated 5 litres water and dissolved the sugar, let it simmer/heat up for a little while probs 10 mins
added that to 10 litres in the fermenter.
Cooked the cornflakes up in 4litres water to a porridge, while I was getting the BBQ temp gauge going with batteries from the tv remote :wtf: I put the pot on the sink, its tipped over and I lost some of the porridge. So I added the other 100gms I had left over so I reckon it was about right.....
Temp gauge went silly, I added some blocks of ice to get temp down and it started going up from 104 cel so I know that wasn't right. I let it sit for a good 20mins and chucked the yeast in. I am hoping it was cool enough, will see in a bit.

I airlocked it and set the timer for an hour to see if there is any action. still got 35 mins to wait. If I killed the yeast due to not having the right temp, I am sure that I will know by tonight or even the morning due to no action.

Having to hit bunnings later tonight due to getting some stuff for new job starting tomorrow so that should be interesting.

Question, I have to make a hole in the urn lid for the SS nipple, better to get a hole cutter or a bit ass drill bit in you guyses opinions??

Chat soon.

†ox
tox

Postby tox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:34 pm

tox wrote:Temp gauge went silly, I added some blocks of ice to get temp down and it started going up from 104 cel so I know that wasn't right. I let it sit for a good 20mins and chucked the yeast in. I am hoping it was cool enough, will see in a bit.

I airlocked it and set the timer for an hour to see if there is any action. still got 35 mins to wait. If I killed the yeast due to not having the right temp, I am sure that I will know by tonight or even the morning due to no action.

†ox

Well it is audibly doing something and smells interesting already yewwww :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tox

Postby woodduck » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Good stuff mate, hope it works well for ya. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your gonna buy a hole saw you'll have to buy a good one if you want to cut stainless, it's as hard as hell. I would probably go a step drill. Go slow and plenty of lube :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 am

woodduck wrote: Go slow and plenty of lube :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Words to live by there woodduck!
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am

Yep I learned that early on in life :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby tox » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:35 pm

woodduck wrote:Good stuff mate, hope it works well for ya. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your gonna buy a hole saw you'll have to buy a good one if you want to cut stainless, it's as hard as hell. I would probably go a step drill. Go slow and plenty of lube :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ha ha

Yeah I shall take your advice and track one down. I am assuming bunnings 'should' have such a bit but I have been wrong assuming stuff before.

The wash is humming along now. Ikea have some awesome jars also, I am not sure of the materials they use for the seal but I am once again going to assume that getting a teflon gasket that size will be simple enough.

Thanks again for your encouragement guys.
tox

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:27 am

Tungsten carbide tip hole saws work real good on stainless also. I buy cheap ones but you only get a couple holes before teeth break off..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Bunnings have step drill bits. Good thing about step drill bits is they are easy to sharpen. Lasts heaps longer than a hole saw.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

And they make a nice clean cut, a burr will form on the opposite side though. If you have access to the other side of your piece you can easily deburr it with the same bit.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh and welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:22 pm

G-day mate and welcome,a 10mm drill and few files will do the job just as well and you may have them too,plus a few tunes ta work by,will take longer but unless tools or bits are going ta get a bit of use I would not bother.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby tox » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Hay all,

I got myself a step bit this day so I aim to have it done, when I have time, by next weekend. The CFW is still bubbling away (9 days so far) so I am looking forward to racking it and letting it clear once it is done then getting the cleaning, sacrificial run done and then the CFW. I am lucky enough to have a mate that is a wine enthusiast who has more plonk that one could drink in a lifetime so he has given me a box for my anniversary and I have saved a couple of the bottles for the sac run.

Once I get the lid sorted with the connection to the pipe, I shall post a pic or two or three. Thinking about this all the time is distracting!! Ha ha I know I am not the only one.

My end goal, is to get the experience to make a nice spiced rum, with a solid/awesome pot still. I like the idea of building something awesome. BUT, I don't have the skills or the resources to do this......yet.

I read many posts on here and its so cool. Go Straya!!!!!
tox

Return to Welcome Centre