Advice on a CO2 Cylinder please

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Advice on a CO2 Cylinder please

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I am about to invest in a CO2 cylinder and can't decide whether to get a 2.6kg or a 6kg for $20 more.

The advantage of the former is that it has a smaller footprint, and the advantage of the latter is larger capacity (of course).

The thing is, my usage will be for making soda water and therefor fairly light, I may never get through a 6kg one... but one never knows.

I wonder if someone who knows about these things from personal experience could give me some advice, will I regret not getting the 6kg? (Heavy users indicate so, but I am not a heavy user at least at the moment).

Cheers.

Gary
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Re: Advice on a CO2 Cylinder please

Postby navarau » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 pm

I brew beer and have up to 4 beers on tap at any one time and the 2.6 just doesn't cope.

If you are making soda water then I'm assuming you are doing it in a keg of some sort. A 2.6 will charge and despense about 8 20l kegs so that would be about 160 litres of soda water.

How long would 160 litres of soda water last you? That's how long your cylinder eold last.
navarau

equipment: Nothing

Postby The Stig » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Bundaboy wrote: smaller footprint, and the advantage of the latter is larger capacity (of course).

I have had both in the past and I can tell you the footprint is not that much greater.
But you will enjoy the extra capacity.
If your budget allows go with the bigger 6kg, Im glad I did it in the end.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tipsy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm

I went both...the big one lasts me a couple of years and the small one is so I don't have to hurry to replace it.
Running out of gas only happens when you have visitors.

I agree with Stig about the footprint.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby username » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:55 pm

The price the kegland have 6kg bottles it is ridiculous not to buy them, i bought a second 6kg just because.
Given refills are $50 a go on a 6kg, $100 for bottle inc fill will not be repeated again, and i believe they are bumping their pricing up next container.
username

equipment: 2" Pot on keg, gas driven.

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Wow! What a great and quick response, this is such a great forum!
Thanks guys, I'll go for the 6kg, who knows? I may get back into brewing some beer again.

navarau wrote:I brew beer and have up to 4 beers on tap at any one time and the 2.6 just doesn't cope.

If you are making soda water then I'm assuming you are doing it in a keg of some sort. A 2.6 will charge and despense about 8 20l kegs so that would be about 160 litres of soda water.

How long would 160 litres of soda water last you? That's how long your cylinder eold last.

I really only use my soda water for a dash in my whisky, although the bottles sure seem mount up quickly :roll: (BTW NSW now has a 10c return tax on the bottles which is driving me nuts, I sure as hell don't want them to get to keep it).

I was going to buy a sodastream unit, but now that you mention it I DO have a 30L keg which is just being used to store my feints, it has the ball locks installed so maybe... hmmm I might buy another cylinder.

Thanks again guys!
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Return to Beer & Wine