Yeast Sale

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Yeast Sale

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:25 pm

New product should be arriving tomorrow is SAF Gold yeast 500g packs special introductory price of $7 normally $9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Re: Yeast Sale

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Sweet, I’ve never found that locally. I’ll get a pack :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks mate I’ll let you know when it gets here
Andrew

Postby EziTasting » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Andrew wrote:New product should be arriving tomorrow is SAF Gold yeast 500g packs special introductory price of $7 normally $9

Silly question - as I've not heard of this one before, what would you apply it to?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 pm

A good step up from the lowans I’ve been using is what I know.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby The Stig » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 pm

From my understating :
Use 20% less
High sugar tolerant
High heat tolerant
So this would be ideal in our upcoming summer months and great for our sugar head style ferments.
I/we have enlisted 3 local members to trial this yeast:
1 member is promising to dig up some much needed info
2nd member promises to teach us a few lessons on the use
And 3rdly our next member promised to be regimented in his military like findings.
I have no doubt this yeast will be superior in every way compared to the likes of Lowans, saving you time and money.
I have such high hopes for this yeast that I will put up 3 x 500g packs as competition prizes to be dished out by Doubleuj and the rest of the admin crew as they see fit
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Georgio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to receive a sample of the Saf-Instant yeast for trial.

I used the yeast on a variant of the Cornflakes Wash (CFW). This will be multi generational so the below details are for gen 1.

Starting gravity was 1.116 (Relatively high SG, for the purpose of the trial).

Pitched yeast dry into wash at 32 degrees C, I used 50 grams for a 27L wash. Just a general note; the yeast smelt rich (more yeasty than Lowans).

Activity in airlock started within a couple hours. Not the most vigorous ferment but definitely steady.

Ferment temp was maintained with a blanket in my garage. At day 8 gravity was down to 1.020. Ferment had slowed and temp was down to 22 degrees (due to recent cold snap in the south east QLD).

I left the ferment for an additional 6 days. Ambient temp increased to 26 degrees in my garage and ferment continued along slowly. At the end of day 14 I checked the gravity and it was at 1.000.

I have removed insulation and am allowing the yeast to settle out. Will update once distilled and gen 2 is on.

There is definitely a rich smell coming from the wash, more than I would expect from a sugar wash and maybe in part due to the yeast. This is something that I know I will enjoy.

Final ABV of around 15% (I normally do all grain so much higher than my usual 8%). :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Cheers.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for the update G :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andrew

Postby A&O » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Is there any feedback from anyone using this yeast with rum??
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:03 am

How does this yeast go for baking .
wynnum1

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:38 pm

wynnum1 wrote:How does this yeast go for baking .

SAF Gold is osmotolerant type of yeast. It is very tolerant to sugar and performs well in doughs with very low amounts of water (i.e. doughs made with milk and eggs) and high sugar content.
Normally, when working with very sweet yeasted doughs, one would have to increase yeast to extraordinary amounts, way above 2 baker's percent, to maintain normal fermentation rate. SAF Gold yeast will ferment happily in very sweet doughs and small amounts of SAF Gold lift them in a normal amount of time, i.e. sweet dough doubling in volume in one hour at room temperature.

Found here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/3901/q ... tant-yeast
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby orcy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 pm

The stig. Can you add the fact that you are Andrew and own 5 star to your signature. Having two accounts to talk up every product is dodgy at best and dishonest at worst. Or just get rid of the stig and only talk as Andrew now that you have a financial interest in the forums and 5 star.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

orcy wrote:The stig. Can you add the fact that you are Andrew and own 5 star to your signature.

Just for you Ill do that.

orcy wrote:Having two accounts to talk up every product is dodgy at best and dishonest at worst.

I dont do that, your reading too much into a simple copy and paste answer to a question.
But if youve got a bone to pick feel free to pm, email or even phone me.

orcy wrote:Or just get rid of the stig

That cant happen due to the forum needing a Tech contact and, well, Stig has been here since the beginning.

orcy wrote:only talk as Andrew now that you have a financial interest in the forums and 5 star.

And the coming out thread wasnt enough for you?
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12081
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Orcy, the Stig does more behind the scenes here to keep this place running than no body knows.

There needs to be a direct contact for 5 Star that newbies can associate with. Stig has added to his signature as requested, hopefully this matter is resolved for you.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Do to an unforeseen effort on behalf of better-half, I have a surplus of bakers yeast... but I am keen to have a crack at this yeast! I’m hoping it doesn’t produce the same after taste as bakers yeast!!!
EziTasting

Postby prawnz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:50 am

Is there any way of getting this yeast in WA ?

Postage would probably make it not viable ?
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Georgio » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:05 am

Update 2.0

Hi all,

In following on from my first gen CFW using the SAf Gold Yeast, I have stripped and put gen 2 on. I ran the wash through the pot still nice and quick and am happy with what I could smell and taste.

For gen 2 I replaced some corn flakes and returned 4.5L of cooled dunder back in to the 25L ferment. I upped the sugar for gen 2 (8kg) to see how far I could push the yeast and finally added some DAP yeast nutrient.

After 24hrs I had no action at all. Temp was at 25c. So I put the heat belt on and after 12hrs the temp was at 32c but still no action. I suspect the pH was too low (but had run out of pH strips :angry-banghead: ) so I added 3 tablespoons of food grade Calcuim Carbonate for good measure. 24hrs later action had commenced and ferment is quite vigorous.

So in summary my experience with this yeast has been good and have had no dramas using the yeast for generational recipes whilst aiming for a higher ABV%

Happy Stillin!
G.
Georgio

4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Any further updates, G?!?!
EziTasting

Postby Georgio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Hey Ezi,
Eventually ran 4 gens. I reduced backset to 20% to help control pH a little better. All fermented out just fine. I have completed my spirit run. Jars are still airing out. Will blend back together tomorrow and let you know what it tastes like. Fresh off the still it was great so I am expecting big things!
Georgio

4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Noice!
Looking to do something a little left-field and will be using this yeast for it - high sugar content... so fingers crossed!

Shshsh! Mums the word... :D
EziTasting

Next

Return to 5 Star Distilling