Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

Postby GBarb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 am

Anyone use SC with FFV on the spirit run?

I don’t want to strip any flavour from the end product, and wondering if it is going to make much of a difference.

I certainly wouldn’t use on a whiskey or bourbon, so just wondering if adding the SC to FFV would strip that slight wheat flavour we are aiming for.
GBarb

equipment: Reflux Still

Postby EziTasting » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 am

GBarb wrote:Anyone use SC with FFV on the spirit run?

I don’t want to strip any flavour from the end product, and wondering if it is going to make much of a difference.

I certainly wouldn’t use on a whiskey or bourbon, so just wondering if adding the SC to FFV would strip that slight wheat flavour we are aiming for.

Not sure what you mean by SC, but this isn’t meant as a flavoured recipe; it’s called Teddy’s Fast Fermenting Vodka. Vodka is as flavourless as possible... so those of us making this are stripping the flavour on purpose...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:34 am

EziTasting wrote:
Not sure what you mean by SC, but this isn’t meant as a flavoured recipe; it’s called Teddy’s Fast Fermenting Vodka. Vodka is as flavourless as possible... so those of us making this are stripping the flavour on purpose...

I have to slightly disagree with that in that I switched from TPW to FFV mostly because of flavour (TPW tastes somewhat sweet to me, FFV much drier and has a slight wheaty flavour that is, to my palate, quite nice).

Now I use a 2" Macboka, giving a 94% ABV product, so perhaps your rig produces a purer product? I would be insterested in your thoughts on that.

Having said that, it is a very subtle taste, but, although I am not a vodka drinker normally, I can drink the FFV as is and quite enjoy it, but mostly I turn it into a whisky using essences - doing that with TPW I end up with a bourbon type sweetness that is not to my taste.

@GBarb
I also don't know what SC is, can you enlighten me?
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby GBarb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Sodium carbonate, used for the spirit run to compress the heads and tails, chemically changes the eaters or something and gives a vastly better product and yield.

I have heard however that is strips flavour (never to be used in flavoured washes like bourbons etc) so not sure what is would do the FFV.
GBarb

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I just had a quick read around the subject, I've read about it before but never bothered with it.

I'm guessing you had a typo, and meant to type esters, not eaters?

From what I found, esters, water and ethanol (as well as all other higher alcohols) all form azeotropes. Many on here know what an azeotrope is, but for those that don't, an azeotrope is a mixture where all components boil and condense in the same proportions - means they can't be separated by distillation.

Methanol doesn't form an azeotrope with water but ethanol does. Which is why we can never get higher than 95.63% abv from distillation. Ethanol, water and esters also form tertiary (three component) azeotropes (plural because there are a number of different esters in our washes). These azeotropes will be part of the heads cut which is why there is so much ethanol left in heads. These azeotropes give way to the water/ethanol azeotrope once all the esters have been removed from the still.

There are a number of ways to break an ethanol/ester/water azeotrope, the only suitable way to us is to use salt to break the azeotrope. I'm not sure what breaking this type of azeotrope would achieve but because salts are far more soluble in water than ethanol (and insoluble in esters) it is most likely that salt would remove water from the azeotrope, where we would prefer the ethanol to be removed from the ester/ethanol/water azeotropes (so it can be distilled with the hearts in the ethanol/water azeotrope).

Why all this talk about salts? Sodium carbonate is a salt.

Sodium carbonate is also basic, it raises pH. Since ester formation (a reaction between an alcohol and a carboxylic acid - both of which are found in our boilers) is acid OR base catalysed, it happens much faster at pHs far removed from neutral (pH = 7). Reflux is also often required.

So by adding sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate etc in theory should have a benefit to stop extra esters from forming in the reflux column (due to a more neutral pH) and help to break the ester/ethanol/water azeotrope (but by excluding water as discussed above). Managing a neutral pH may also help to cleave esters back into carboxylic acids and alcohols, but I'm not sure if we'd notice any difference.

As far as flavour goes, the esters are some of the flavour chemicals in our products (along with aldehydes and higher alcohols... and who knows what). So I guess, based on what I've already said, it is likely that sodium carbonate will remove flavour from the product of this wash. Maybe it helps in a positive way, by removing flavour components that mask nicer flavours, or maybe it encourages esters that have a positive impact on flavour to end up in the heads. Only one way to know.

Give it a go.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Sorry for the information overload :violence-smack:

Surely it'll help someone though :-B
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby GBarb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Explains it perfectly.

On another note, anyone used actually wheat in their recipee before instead of wheat bran
GBarb

Postby j0sh2008 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm

db1979 wrote:I just had a quick read around the subject, I've read about it before but never bothered with it.

I'm guessing you had a typo, and meant to type esters, not eaters?

From what I found, esters, water and ethanol (as well as all other higher alcohols) all form azeotropes. Many on here know what an azeotrope is, but for those that don't, an azeotrope is a mixture where all components boil and condense in the same proportions - means they can't be separated by distillation.

Methanol doesn't form an azeotrope with water but ethanol does. Which is why we can never get higher than 95.63% abv from distillation. Ethanol, water and esters also form tertiary (three component) azeotropes (plural because there are a number of different esters in our washes). These azeotropes will be part of the heads cut which is why there is so much ethanol left in heads. These azeotropes give way to the water/ethanol azeotrope once all the esters have been removed from the still.

There are a number of ways to break an ethanol/ester/water azeotrope, the only suitable way to us is to use salt to break the azeotrope. I'm not sure what breaking this type of azeotrope would achieve but because salts are far more soluble in water than ethanol (and insoluble in esters) it is most likely that salt would remove water from the azeotrope, where we would prefer the ethanol to be removed from the ester/ethanol/water azeotropes (so it can be distilled with the hearts in the ethanol/water azeotrope).

Why all this talk about salts? Sodium carbonate is a salt.

Sodium carbonate is also basic, it raises pH. Since ester formation (a reaction between an alcohol and a carboxylic acid - both of which are found in our boilers) is acid OR base catalysed, it happens much faster at pHs far removed from neutral (pH = 7). Reflux is also often required.

So by adding sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate etc in theory should have a benefit to stop extra esters from forming in the reflux column (due to a more neutral pH) and help to break the ester/ethanol/water azeotrope (but by excluding water as discussed above). Managing a neutral pH may also help to cleave esters back into carboxylic acids and alcohols, but I'm not sure if we'd notice any difference.

As far as flavour goes, the esters are some of the flavour chemicals in our products (along with aldehydes and higher alcohols... and who knows what). So I guess, based on what I've already said, it is likely that sodium carbonate will remove flavour from the product of this wash. Maybe it helps in a positive way, by removing flavour components that mask nicer flavours, or maybe it encourages esters that have a positive impact on flavour to end up in the heads. Only one way to know.

Give it a go.

Wow :o that was an interesting read. I might have to give it a try also and see how it goes.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby EziTasting » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:07 pm

db1979 wrote:Sorry for the information overload :violence-smack:

No need to apologise, ima bit of a science geek myself! Wish I would naive followed the Chemistry path when younger! Always enjoyed it, but never took it seriously as an employment opportunity... :angry-banghead:

Hindsight is 20/20!
EziTasting

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 pm

EziTasting wrote:
db1979 wrote:Sorry for the information overload :violence-smack:

No need to apologise, ima bit of a science geek myself! Wish I would naive followed the Chemistry path when younger! Always enjoyed it, but never took it seriously as an employment opportunity... :angry-banghead:

Hindsight is 20/20!

Chemistry isn't a great career path in Australia unfortunately.

On the flip side I've often wished I hadn't followed it. But all good, live and learn.
db1979

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 pm

My chemistry career began and finished in the first 3 weeks of year 11 when my teacher proposed a deal... if I sat quietly in the back corner and stared out the window without bothering any other student and I promised to never try make a career out of chemistry he would give me a pass mark.... lets just say they may have well been speaking swahili in that class room :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Lucky Duck!

You got to be an exchange student, awesome! I was too chicken to do it... :D
EziTasting

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 pm

It was either chem, home economics or PE and lets just say i would've been just as good at PE as chemistry 8-} :laughing-rolling: thinking back, home ec surrounded by girls would've been a much better option :D
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby GBarb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am

GBarb wrote:Explains it perfectly.

On another note, anyone used actually wheat in their recipee before instead of wheat bran

Bump!
GBarb

Postby Teddysad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:36 am

I did try wheat in the early stages of development of this but found the required flavour did not come through ( even with the cooking)
I stick with the bran
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby bayshine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 am

What I can’t understand is that there’s now 15 pages on this thread and this recipe isn’t in the tried and proven yet? :teasing-tease:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby dans.brew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm

bayshine wrote:What I can’t understand is that there’s now 15 pages on this thread and this recipe isn’t in the tried and proven yet? :teasing-tease:

Yeah it is...
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby GBarb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Teddysad wrote:I did try wheat in the early stages of development of this but found the required flavour did not come through ( even with the cooking)
I stick with the bran

I’ve used a kilo of wheat each time now,

This second round I roughly blitzed it in the blender, before I cooked.

We will see what this second round tastes like.
GBarb

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Just did my first one and it’s bloody worked a treat!

To date, my favourite neutral recipe was TPW (ease & cost) - tried others and they were all less functional /cost effective!
Can’t wait to run it and taste it!
EziTasting

Postby Joycy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Going to start making my first ever wash and have decided on teddys ffv. I have been struggling to find DAP in Brisbane, I've checked the brew shops and this is all I have found. It does have some other ingredients but would it be suitable to use or should I try find DAP on it's own? I do notice it has Magnesium sulphate, which is Epsom salt?

20181111_131332-1470x3024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Joycy on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development