Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby orcy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I use 7kg of bundaberg molasses and 6 1/4 kg (1/4 of a bag) of dark brown sugar per 50ish litres.

even the stripping runs smell amazing at this point. 1 more gen and I can do a spirit run and then add it to my barrel.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 pm

In a 50l wash :scared-eek: i use this much in 180l total volume :-B
Sorry brain fart...no idea what I was thinking. Ay an 80th and may be s tad under the weather :whistle:
I use 21l mol and 21kg sugar in 180l...
Last edited by bluc on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby scythe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Is the rule of thumb for Rum not 1kg per 5L?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 pm

For everything I think scythe 1kg 5l absolute max..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby orcy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Sorry. I forgot we are only allowed to do exactly what the forums decree is perfect. I'll shut my mouth again.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Do what you want I am sure no one here gives a damm. If you cant hack critisicm dont post.
If I took your stance then I would have been drinking slop with no cuts through a chinese still made with lead solder. But seriously... do what you want :handgestures-thumbupleft: and best of luck :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 pm

orcy wrote:Sorry. I forgot we are only allowed to do exactly what the forums decree is perfect. I'll shut my mouth again.

Settle down princess
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 am

Steady on fellas.

I don't think anyone was criticizing you orcy, just merely pointing out that the amount of sugar in your wash is rather high for the liquid volume. It's your wash and if you're happy with it feel free to continue doing it your way. Remember this is a place to discuss distilling so if you post something, someone's probably going to want to talk about it or comment on it.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 am

orcy wrote:Sorry. I forgot we are only allowed to do exactly what the forums decree is perfect. I'll shut my mouth again.

I think we all need to stop taking things said to heart so much. We are all being way to easily offended. We need to remember that text is a hard one to master as we have no body language or tone of voice to reference with. I doubt bluc meant any offence there mate. Instead of the above comment you could have explained that you found those amounts worked well for you because a,b or c reason. We then can have a discussion, maybe you've found a winning formula but unfortunately because of your reply the chances are no one will try your method now.

Please remember all, 99% of the comments on here are people trying to help not run you down. We need to get off the back foot and think more positively :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:49 am

orcy wrote:I use 7kg of bundaberg molasses and 6 1/4 kg (1/4 of a bag) of dark brown sugar per 50ish litres.

even the stripping runs smell amazing at this point. 1 more gen and I can do a spirit run and then add it to my barrel.

7kg molasses is only about 3.5kg of fermentables plus 6.25 sugar is only 9.75kg fermentables in 50l anyway . 1 to 5 ratio would be 10kg in 50l anyway. Not really sure what I was going on about and really should not post when drunk. My apologies orcy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Btw who sells 25kg bags brown sugar?

(I keep forgetting its only about 50% fermentable sugar, also get mixed up between measuring as litres or kilos molasses is about 1.4kg per litre )
bluc
Site Donor

Postby j0sh2008 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

They have 25kg of brown sugar at cost co :handgestures-thumbupleft:
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby baznkez » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Guys ,

from reading comments i think there is no right or wrong way to create a spirit wash it is up to the person,s own discretion .
Every person will have a difference of opinion that is what makes the world go round , as for myself when i started making rum i asked questions then based on the answers made my mind up as to which way i was going with it , Its trial and error right !!!!! what works for one might not work for the next there is plenty of variables to consider.
MY washes are 25 litres , 5kg molasses , 3kg raw sugar ,3 litres of dunder , 10 grams ec 1118 yeast rehydrated , 10grams of nutrients & i would rate the final spirit aged and oaked as good any store bought expensive rum , i am about to try the Distilamax RM (493EDV) Craft Distillery Rum yeast on the next wash it will either sink or swim fingers crossed ..

Regards Bazz
baznkez

equipment: turbo 500 & alembic pot with controller

Postby A&O » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Hey guys, looking for what people are doing and have done when making spiced rums. I’ve read through as many recipes that I can find and my questions not about ingredients but more the method.

I know some macerate, but for those who do, do you oak the spirit before or after maceration?

Obviously if the spices are in the vapour stream like a gin basket, it’s Oaked after the spirit is cut. I run a bubbler and only still once, should I start the run then once hearts start coming through, should I then put the spices in or have them in from the start?

The other method I’ve found that is possible is a compounded rum, I think that’s what it’s called. I’ll explain as not I’m right. My understanding of compounding is taking a spirit and add essential oils or individual highly flavoured spirit and add the flavours until the correct taste is achieved. Again, if there is anyone making rum in this way do you oak before or after adding the essential oils or flavours?

If there’s any other way people use to make a spiced rum I would love to hear your story.

My first 50l of molasses wash is bubbling now so I have no experience yet.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby DaveZ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:04 pm

I age my rum on oak for anywhere up to 6 months, usually closer to 2 months though, then macerate. Makes a very nice spiced rum. The recipe is on the site here somewhere.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am

Beerswimmer wrote:I'm wondering what a good molasses to water ratio is for an all molasses ferment? I'm not really interested in using sugar, I just found a pretty cheap source for feed molasses. Right now I have a ferment that is 4 gallons molasses to 10 gallons water and I think it might be too much molasses.

I think it was too much molasses, or the proprionic acid was higher than I remember...or both. It took weeks to ferment at high temps. I'm running it now, will be using the dunder for gen 2, but with food grade blackstrap this time.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:57 am

I'm doing a slow distill through my pot, and will be keeping the hearts white. It's the dunder and feints that I'm after. The next gens will be made using dunder and will be doing stripping runs until I have enough for another spirit run that will have the feints and more dunder added for flavor. I'll be starting a dunder pit to use on the future gens too. Gen 2 will be with food grade, but then I'll be going back to feed grade molasses. It has a heavier flavor. I'm after the heaviest rum I can make!
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 am

Finished. I melted 3 gallons of blackstrap into 4 gallons of hot dunder, then topped off with 5 gallons cold water. Will pitch yeast once the temps come down a bit. Saved 5-ish gallons of dunder to become my new pit!
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

20181105_195328.jpg

The pit has come alive, a pellicle and it smells different. Like airplane glue and fruit, almost like early heads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beerswimmer

Postby tipsy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:Like airplane glue

I used to love the smell of model glue....probably still do 8-}

Maybe it's time to try a pit myself?
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Dick Jane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pm

After some guidance here.

Have got a wash on the go with bakers yeast and also want to do some using EC-118 but am unsure on how much yeast to use(23L wash).

Also how do I add it? Just pitch it in or do I need to rehydrate it first?

I am up to page 25 of this thread so far but haven't found what I'm after :?
Dick Jane

equipment: Egay Pot Still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development