What Filter Do You use

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

What Filter Do You use

Postby Aussie_Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi i have a Turbo 500 . i would like to know what filter do you use >?????
Thanks
bob
Aussie_Bob

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: What Filter Do You use

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Just my liver, do good cuts and you don’t need to filter with more than that. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I know you’ve said your reading heaps but a touch of patience and time will mean you’ll find all the answers to your questions here already on the forum.
You’re off to a good start already by finding this forum and being willing to ask questions and seek advice but this hobby is best enjoyed with a dash of patience
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby DaveZ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 pm

I started off using a Turbo 500 as well. Luckily I found this forum before I went down the filtering route. You can make some perfectly good neutral using a basic tomato paste wash recipe, slowing the run down a bit and learning how to do cuts. It takes a little time and patience to master cuts but well worth it when you get it down.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby fizzix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 am

The only time I filter is when I reflux a neutral and just want it cleaned up as much as possible.
I have a stainless steel 48" that I'll save up and do a multi-gallon marathon filter run on.

filter2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fizzix

equipment: 8-gallon stainless 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing.

Postby DeeGee » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Hello guys,
I have been fermenting the winos plan old sugar wash, 50l batch.

I have done 3 reflux runs, removing the first 500ml on the first reflux run.

I can smell the metal of the still in my cuts even at 92%
88%
and 32%

I can't seem to get rid of that metal smell, I am using a 50 litter SS boiler, it has a 4 plate copper T"s.

I take my cuts slowly,

So I decide to purchase the Fuslex with active carbon filter, cleaned up the product great, but I am losing 10% of my abv each time I do a filter.

so I start my abv at 38%

by the time 1.5L runs through the filter which is about 4 hours
the abv comes out at 25 to 28%.

anyone else have this issue?
DeeGee

equipment: none, I am looking at purchasing,
looking for a still for Gin and Vodka.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Hey DeeGee, I’m thinking you’re running a bit fast/ hard, I’m guessing you’re running a 4 plate bubbler? If so you shouldn’t be seeing any drop in your abv through the run until you get to the end/ tails.
I don’t understand what you mean by “smell the metal of the still” though..
If you post up your own thread in the welcome centre we could help more
Last edited by Doubleuj on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby YarraRanges » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Never filter, result is always good. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by YarraRanges on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Is it the smell of copper or stainless?
Copper smell might make sense if you still is dirty internally on the output side after the RC.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am

I use the fuselux master.
I like to filter as its a very easy way to turn any tails into clean neutral without having to redistill ot with all the mucking around that entails.
Doesn't matter how manky the tails are (except rum and gin tails) as the carbon turns poo to gold.
The fuselux will do about 10 to 15 liters of ethanol on a single carbon load depending on how bad the tails are. Start at the best and work your way down (@>50% abv) and just taste after about 10 liters and stop when you start to taste something other than neutral for a reload of carbon.
As to the strength drop issue, do you wash your carbon? The extra water trapped in the carbon will water it down (and also the initial load into dry carbon will only allow about 100 ml or so of water through at the very start but doesn't last long). Boy doesn't it get hot when you pour it in dry! I don't wash my carbon first but I always rerun the first couple of liters that comes out (just pour it back in the top) to make sure anything that comes out gets put back in.
And run it slow! For me it can take a full 24-48 hours or more to run 10 liters. Slower the better.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Tin chucker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am

I may be running fast ,I’ll find out on my next run when I slow it down. I also use an all ss setup. I’ve learned to clean it with vinegar over nite soak. I store the still in my basement tv room with vinegar in it. I wash it out and do a water run. Pure steam for a half hr then collect Distilled water. Then I do my spirit run. I actually built my charcoal filter because of the metal taste . It’s not needed now but I do still filter . I make my own charcoal in a cleaned out paint pail with 2 -1/4” holes in the lid on my burner. I wait 20 min after it stops smoking before I turn off burner. I have a 4” ss pipe that reduces to 2” then 1-1/2” with a valve on the bottom. It’s mostly made up of extra parts from my column build. I pour product in and adjust the flow to my time line. I do run the water through the filter first to clear the carbon colour.
Tin chucker

equipment: 15 gal beer keg with 2” Triclamp reflux column

Return to Beginners Questions