Long time listener, first time caller

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Long time listener, first time caller

Postby Closey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm

G'day everyone,

As you might say on the radio: long time listener, first time caller.

Like most people here I went and got a t500 setup from my local HBS. Made my first wash using their turbo yeast. Tasted the end result even after polishing.. had instant buyers regret that I had spent so much coin on this piece of $#!t and packed the still away in the man cave.

About a year later I dusted off the t500 gear, did some googling and reading and came across this forum. Read the how to run the T500 the proper way ^:)^ , made my first TPW and started cutting and it changed my life... :handgestures-thumbupleft: produced some decent neutral and impressed the missus aka dept of finance. At that time I was surfing 5Star and drooling over the gear until the website randomly went offline :handgestures-thumbdown: sadly I know because I was checking almost everyday like a little kid waiting for Santa..

Thankfully it came back online and got onto Andrew at 5Star who has been awesome to deal with and just entered a whole new world when running his 4" pot still.. it's funny because you read the forums and people are almost screaming about not wasting your money on the t500 etc but you almost have to use it and then something else to realise the difference.

Currently running 5Star 4" pot still on t500 boiler for stripping and the t500 reflux column for spirit run. Using a 240 Litre wheely bin (my green waste bin has been sacrificed LOL) with Ozito pump circulating, return water for the pot still is cool, but def heats the water up when running the t500 reflux... water bill has dropped a lot doing this!

Looking to upgrade to get a bubbler and 50L boiler.

Cheers,

Closey
Closey

equipment: T500 Copper Reflux
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD 4" Neutraliser
Ozito 350 Dirty water pump recirculating from a 240L Wheelie Bin

Re: Long time listener, first time caller

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Welcome here mate, sounds like your on the right track :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Welcome Closey :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Glad to hear you've found some success after a false start. And good onya for supporting 5star :dance:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby RC Al » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Welcome mate

Love the avatar, awesome show
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Welcome mate,I found getting great ferments is a big part of it,there are a few skills that do not come overnight and are only realized with time and effort on your part,as long as ya getting better and not worse your on the right road ,too many expect a lot when starting out wich can cause frustration and the towel being thrown in ,keep swinging and you will get there.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby dans.brew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Gday Closey
Glad to hear you've seen the light and your eyes have been oppened mate. Its sad to hear people give up on this great hobby so early on after a bad experience.. when a lot of the time they just need to be told the right info on how to run there gear correctly and with the right ingredients.
Keep reading on here and your eyes will be opened even more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 am

Hi mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 am

Welcome Closey,
Your whole world is changing mate and its only going to get better :-B
Thanks for the support :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Enjoy your time here.
Cheers
Andrew
PS, get some pics up :music-deathmetal:
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Plumby » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Welcome to AD Closey.

5 Star gear is definitely the mutts nuts!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre