Dan's Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Dan's Bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 pm

bluc wrote:Hey dan why did you put the bits in the oven? to create a colour on the copper or bake on a 2pac type clear? :-B

Gday bluc... yeah the clear coat was 2pac and it required it to be heated to 200 degs C for an hour to harden. Prob should of read can better before i walked out of store.
I nearly had a major stuff up with it actually, but thankfully my brain clicked in before it was too late. :naughty:
So as i said, it required 200deg for an hour. Heated my oven to 200 deg and put my pc in there.. all good. Went and sat down to look on here actually when i had the thought that 200 degs is fairly warm for soft solder to handle. Not knowing the exact temp it melts at i googled it and found out it is 188 degs C... :scared-eek: :angry-banghead:
Don't think I've ever run that quick towards the kitchen... anyway it seemed ok.
From then on i just ran oven at 170 degs C
Prob couldn't of had a worse thing in the oven at the time... other than my RC.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby bluc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I will have to remember that. Bulk of mine is hard soldered but some bits are soft soldered...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm

A heap of loose pieces of copper and a lump of solder on the oven tray would make for one very bad day! :laughing-rolling:
I suppose there is stuff that doesnt need to be hardened in the oven?
dans.brew

Postby scythe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:02 pm

228°c is the melting point of aquasafe100 if your interested (according to the SDS).
I would not have thought it was that low, but there you have it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I used aquasafe, not sure what brand it was... but i did have a spike in oven temp while one of the tees was in there and it de soldered a couple of the flanges a tad. Im thinking the temp wouldn't of got over 200 deg C let alone 228 degs.
dans.brew

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:36 pm

A lot of ovens arnt accurate with their set temps either, I would use an oven thermometer in there as well to make sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby dans.brew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Sam. wrote:A lot of ovens arnt accurate with their set temps either, I would use an oven thermometer in there as well to make sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good point... you would hope there not 40-50 degs out.
The one i used wouldn't even be a year old, i was actually surprised the mrs didn't say something when i was putting all this copper in there :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Reckon the newer ones are pretty good ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Depends alot on brand as well.
Cheap ones can be as much as 30% out over the space of the oven.
I think the high end ones are about 5%.
scythe

Postby dans.brew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm

scythe wrote:Depends alot on brand as well.
Cheap ones can be as much as 30% out over the space of the oven.
I think the high end ones are about 5%.

Its Westinghouse so should be alright... it didnt seem like a cheap and nasty one when i saw the price tag :laughing-rolling:

So i did another cleaning run last night after putting my bubbler back together... thought it was also a good chance to check ive got no vapour leaks. Turns out it was as one seal was leaking quite a bit and took a few goes to get right, but winners are grinners.
I then ran some feints through hoping my dropping ABV problem wouldn't resurface... but she sat rock solid on 90% through to the onset of tails. :happy-partydance:
So in short i was stoked, my new parrot worked like a dream too!
dans.brew

Postby Rock » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 am

Good to hear your back on the race track ( abliet, at the starting line again ) I'm just finishing cleaning my plates, then into the rum washes that are waiting.
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby dans.brew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Cheers Rock!
Ive got some AG whiskey that will be finished any day now too. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I was going to wait till after i ran it, but the bug hit me and i couldn't stop making it shiny. :))
dans.brew

Postby Dick Jane » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am

Love the build Thread and photos guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now I'm thinking that I need to have a crack at building one :think:
Coming from a background in metal working getting copper and having the tools shouldn't be a problem :mrgreen:

My question is........Is there a thread with some info that shows some drawings etc of the unit and even the Parrot and how it works? Build photos are very cool but only tell me sooo much.

I have spent a while looking on here but TBH the amount of info on here is kind of daunting x_x :))

Cheers
Dick Jane

equipment: Egay Pot Still

Postby dans.brew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Dick Jane wrote:Now I'm thinking that I need to have a crack at building one :think:
Coming from a background in metal working getting copper and having the tools shouldn't be a problem :mrgreen:

My question is........Is there a thread with some info that shows some drawings etc of the unit and even the Parrot and how it works? Build photos are very cool but only tell me sooo much.

Cheers

Your all set DJ with that background and resources to get your hands on some copper. For some, including me getting hands on all the materials i needed without bursting the bank was a challenge... not too many scrappies out here in country towns. :think:
Have a look in the newbies corner for info on how a bubbler works, it has a pic or 2 i think.
Even google it and you'll get a few different pics.
Are you looking to make all types of spirit with your bubbler?
Good luck with your build. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby db1979 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Great work on your build Dan :clap: looking fantastic :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DJ, here's the thread Dan was referring to http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117#p46590
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby dans.brew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Cheers db! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby scythe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:25 am

Sometimes i think a background in the metal industry is a burden.
It is for me anyway, i spend too much time thinking through it all and not enough time doing.
And now my standard day is 9.5-10.5 hrs (in an office) plus travel I've got even less time
:crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue:

Building a still is not hard, it just takes a willingness to learn something new, try not to get stopped by the "too hard" mind set.
scythe

Postby db1979 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

scythe wrote:Building a still is not hard, it just takes a willingness to learn something new, try not to get stopped by the "too hard" mind set.

:text-+1: start small and focus on simple parts and before you know it you've got some confidence to tackle tougher parts. It's very rewarding. Especially when you can make great product for bugger all cost.

I did one term of metal work in high school and have built 3 stills now. I did one term of woodwork and built myself a wooden sailboat.

The "too hard" mindset is often the only thing stopping people.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Dick Jane » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:05 pm

dans.brew wrote:
Dick Jane wrote:

Your all set DJ with that background and resources to get your hands on some copper. For some, including me getting hands on all the materials i needed without bursting the bank was a challenge... not too many scrappies out here in country towns. :think:
Have a look in the newbies corner for info on how a bubbler works, it has a pic or 2 i think.
Even google it and you'll get a few different pics.
Are you looking to make all types of spirit with your bubbler?
Good luck with your build. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Dan.
My main poison is Rum so that's the main thing that I will be making but after reading up about Gins I am super keen to do a TPW and have a crack at that. I know that a bubbler will probably not be the perfect answer for the Gin but sounds like it will work??
db1979 wrote:
DJ, here's the thread Dan was referring to http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117#p46590

Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
scythe wrote:Sometimes i think a background in the metal industry is a burden.
It is for me anyway, i spend too much time thinking through it all and not enough time doing.
And now my standard day is 9.5-10.5 hrs (in an office) plus travel I've got even less time
:crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue:

Building a still is not hard, it just takes a willingness to learn something new, try not to get stopped by the "too hard" mind set.

I have a Keg under the house that is calling to be cut and shut into some thing so that is my motivation...…….but I fully agree with what you said :))
Dick Jane

equipment: Egay Pot Still

Postby dans.brew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Dick Jane wrote:My main poison is Rum so that's the main thing that I will be making but after reading up about Gins I am super keen to do a TPW and have a crack at that. I know that a bubbler will probably not be the perfect answer for the Gin but sounds like it will work??

Well once you get your head around running a bubbler the right way and get the cuts down pat, your rum definately won't be poison. :laughing-rolling:
As far as gin goes, you will make great neutral with 4-5+ plates and a packed section.
In regards to adding the gin flavours to that, your best of reading...
Gin Recipe Discussion
From what ive read, there is a few ways to get to the finish line. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills