Bubbler plate and cap query

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubbler plate and cap query

Postby clintonb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi Guys,

I will start a build thread when I final nail down the last few questions I have while conducting some testing before I settle on the final design of my up and coming bubble build. I did some R&D on making my plates today but got a bit heavy handed when drill press machining my plates that will sit within the a s/s ferule with the inside trimmed out of the gasket. My question is how critical is the size of the finished plate, I did two tests - 105mm and 106.5mm - would the 105mm be ok or do they need to be more like 106.5???.

My second question is my plan is to have 5 * 1" bubble caps with a 3/4" risers and 1" downcommer. If later on I added more plates ie for a neutral run etc could I used some plates in addition that were 2.5" bubble caps with a 2" riser and with a 1" downcommer??? or would this create problems??

Thanks

Clinton
Last edited by clintonb on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Re: Bubbler plate and cap query

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 pm

I use 3 by 1inch cap multi plates above 2 by 2inch single plates for neutral ,with a packed section of 600mm with very good results,for rum I like ta use just the pair of 2inch single plates for the extra flavour wich suits my taste,for bourbon and scotch two of each does the job ,I think a 21/2 cap and 1inch downcomer will leave very little space ta work with on a 4inch still and would be and is a size I am working on for a 6inch still .I found having the two different plates allowed me tune into my tastes ,I use the same seel method and my plates are 106-106.5mm.oh yeh and all caps and downcomers are FSD wich I highly recommend . cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby clintonb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the reply :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just wanted to clarify what everyone's thoughts are, so it will be ok to mix the different bubble cap sizes?

And what about using a 105mm plate vs 106.5mm?

Thanks again
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.

Postby scythe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm

As long as you can seal it.
And it does not fall through the pipe ID.
It should work.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby clintonb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Great, nar they will not fall through they will sit on the inside of a S/S 4" flange, was more just concern to know if they had to tightly hug the cut out inside of the gasket or not.
clintonb

Postby scythe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:48 am

Ideally they should be close enough that once you put the clamp on and do it up they don't move/spin.
Otherwise they might rattle and make noise during your run.
Which means you are going to have to put up with that noise/rattle for the 2-5hr run.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby clintonb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 am

Great, on the test I did they were rock solid and didn't move etc so they shouldn't rattle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
clintonb

Return to Beginners Questions