Calculating essences for spirits & liqueurs

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Calculating essences for spirits & liqueurs

Postby Arismac » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 pm

G'day all,

I have often been puzzled with the problem of calculating the correct amounts of essences, alcohol and water to get the ideal tipple. So we have put a Spread Sheet together which anyone with a similar problem may find useful. It works online or you can download to you own PC's if you wish.

"Pestorf" essences calculator ...
Last edited by Arismac on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Re: Calculating essences for spirits & liqueurs

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 pm

That's a pretty handy spreadsheet there mate, looks easy as to use. Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure it will come in handy for anyone using essences
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Chimei » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am

Looks really handy mate, I’ll definitrly give it a go, thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Chimei

equipment: Still Spirits T500, Alcoengine Pot Still

Postby Vultch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 pm

I use an Android App called Stillmate.
Just enter quantity of alcohol and abv, desired abv and it will calculate the amount of water needed or alternatively you can enter desired amount required, your alcohol abv and your desired abv and it will calculate the amount of water required.
I have been using it for a couple of years now and it has been pretty much foolproof.

Cheers.
Vultch

equipment: Still Spirits T500
4" 4 plate bubbler on 50 litre keg, reticulated cooling using 100 litre tank and car radiator.

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products