Limoncello Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Limoncello Recipe Discussion

Postby orcy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Tipsy, i havent worked out how to syrup the 36 percent yet. Might be enough water for sugar to disolve. I see more experiments in my future.

And in our house, drinking strength is 30 to 40 percent.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Limoncello

Postby Ned » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Keen to make Limoncello from the recipe on the forum by Brigand :- Quote
"This is a recipe my aunt gave me for Limoncello - she got it from relos in Southern Italy"

1 Litre Neutral 80%-95%
14 Lemons
1kg Sugar
1 Litre Water.

Q1. After maceration for 10 days. Can you drink it straight away ?
Q2. Am I correct in that you need to keep it in the freezer.
I am using 95% vodka and will dilute it to 40% although I see most commercial Limoncello is about 34 %.
Any thoughts on that.

Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby RC Al » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 pm

You can drink most neutral based drinks straight away, but as with every thing distilling, time to sit and mix plus the odd airing, makes it better :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ned » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:49 am

:text-thankyoublue:
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby deerndingo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi, I peeled a bunch of lemons, removed any pith and addeput them in 600ml of 95%ABV with a view to making about 2 litres of Limoncello. I also added the lemon juice.

Any experience with the addition of the juice???
deerndingo

equipment: T5000, SS filter, a bunch of glass jar

Postby db1979 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 am

You're probably wasting your time with the juice as the flavour in the zest is so much stronger. Let us know how it goes though.
When you said you peeled them, did you remove the entire peel and then take off the zest from the rind? I think I tried this once but found it much easier to remove the zest while the lemon was whole.
Fantastic recipe, if what you've done doesn't work out, try again. If you stick to the recipe and make sure no rind makes it in, you'll have a very nice drink.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby deerndingo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 am

Hi, I peeled the lemons using a potato peeler. I have about 6 peelers and chose one that peels very thinly. I then used a very sharp knife to shave any remaining pith.
deerndingo

Re: Limoncello

Postby BSC_Kilby » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Ned wrote:Keen to make Limoncello from the recipe on the forum by Brigand :- Quote
"This is a recipe my aunt gave me for Limoncello - she got it from relos in Southern Italy"

1 Litre Neutral 80%-95%
14 Lemons
1kg Sugar
1 Litre Water.

Q1. After maceration for 10 days. Can you drink it straight away ?
Q2. Am I correct in that you need to keep it in the freezer.
I am using 95% vodka and will dilute it to 40% although I see most commercial Limoncello is about 34 %.
Any thoughts on that.

I've made bucket loads with a similar recipe to this, using about half the number of lemons. The other bit that's missing here from the recipe I've used is you macerate in 95% neutral for 2 weeks, then you strain that off and leave it, keeping the peel. Put the peel in a new container and make your sugar syrup over the peel and let that sit for a week and you strain that. Cut your macerate to about 40% and then dilute with lemon-infused sugar syrup to taste. Water and ethanol are both solvents with different levels of effectiveness, so by using the hot water you will extract different things to the neutral on its own, and the mixture of the 2 is heaps better than infused neutral alone. Most people seem to like it at about 25-30%. You'll probably need to keep it refrigerated if it's below 30% or you may find little dots form in the liquid, which is mould. There's no harm in making it closer to 40%, it'll just seem more tart, from memory.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby benner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

I saw an interesting Limoncello recipe that had Russian Tarragon infused with the zest. I'm going to give it a go when the Tarragon grows,it starts out very green. Update when I've done it.
Last edited by benner on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benner

equipment: 50 mm 1.5 m stainless, with a vapor chamber head, copper mesh and ss scrubbers.

Postby deerndingo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 am

db1979 wrote:You're probably wasting your time with the juice as the flavour in the zest is so much stronger. Let us know how it goes though.
When you said you peeled them, did you remove the entire peel and then take off the zest from the rind? I think I tried this once but found it much easier to remove the zest while the lemon was whole.
Fantastic recipe, if what you've done doesn't work out, try again. If you stick to the recipe and make sure no rind makes it in, you'll have a very nice drink.

Addition of the juice made the Limoncello very tar. Depends what your taste is but I love it. It's that good you can only have one. It gives your tongue a huge dose of sensation. The commercial stuff just seems so dull after tasting my new batch.

Thanks for the advice
deerndingo

Postby BigRig » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 am

I just picked 200 lemons. Gonna give this recipe a go. Might try some with juice added for the tart.

Slightly off topic but I did a 50/50 with lemon and mandarin peel and it was very nice. Also had the tart.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby deerndingo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm

BigRig wrote:I just picked 200 lemons. Gonna give this recipe a go. Might try some with juice added for the tart.

Slightly off topic but I did a 50/50 with lemon and mandarin peel and it was very nice. Also had the tart.

How much Limoncello are you making. To my reckoning you could make 40 Liters of the stuff with 200 lemons.

How did you remove pith from mandarin peel. I found it's just too delicate to remove and leave oil skin.
deerndingo

Postby Lesgold » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi Folks

Almost finished drinking my first bottle of limoncello. I only had three days to make it as family were coming down for the weekend. The other issue was the neutral I made had been watered down to 41%. Took a litre of this neutral and soaked the peel of 10 Eureka lemons for 3 days. After the three days, the peel had been bleached to a white colour. Strained and filtered the liquid before adding about two thirds of a pack of schnapps base to the brew. Thought I was wasting my time but was pleasantly surprised with the end result. Will try the same method again but use sugar instead.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am

Try using 1ltr of 90+ abv neutral and add the rind of approx 18 lemons and sit in a cool dark place for 3 months. then add water to bring it back to approx 40%. Add the water over a week or 2 and then add your syrup. Strain the rind off and let sit for another couple of weeks in the freezer. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Postby BigRig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 pm

deerndingo wrote:
BigRig wrote:I just picked 200 lemons. Gonna give this recipe a go. Might try some with juice added for the tart.

How much Limoncello are you making. To my reckoning you could make 40 Liters of the stuff with 200 lemons.

How did you remove pith from mandarin peel. I found it's just too delicate to remove and leave oil skin.

I do the picking and father does the peeling using one of those corn plane shaver things, I couldn't be bothered with the fiddly stuff but he manages.

We use 8 lemons per litre so lookin at 25L before diluting. We found using any more than 8 didn't really make much difference.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Shano592 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 pm

I gave this a run, and amongst my friends and coworkers it was a roaring success!

I have used the same recipe for bergamot (bergacello) and oranges (arancello), and each has it's own unique responses. The arancello is really sweet, while the bergacello is sweet and very sour... certainly more than the limoncello.

I'd love to be able to shoot some of this over to my dad in Perth. As a little Italian man from Italy's south, he would be in heaven.

Thanks for the recipe, so long ago!
Shano592

equipment: .
2" Boka - The Gin Genie - For Sale
2" Pot - The Drunk Pelican
3" Bubbler - The Gin Genie MkII

Postby howard » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm

i made some a while ago.
looked at about 10 different recipes, mainly worried about the sugar quantity.
finally did this recipe, but with only 750gms of sugar.
just right for me, and unfortunately, my family & friends.

i used a potato peeler to skin the lemons, it was ok, but i might invest in a corn planer from the chemist.
although the ends of my fingers eventually grew back :handgestures-thumbupleft:
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Shano592 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:07 pm

I ended up using a flat grater. I took all of the outer off, without removing either the pith OR my knuckles.

I found an additional recipe which uses 355g of sugar with every 700ml of steeped liquid @40% (so, after sitting for 10 days). That one was a lot more drinkable, but it didn't make your heart race, like limoncello should...
Shano592

equipment: .
2" Boka - The Gin Genie - For Sale
2" Pot - The Drunk Pelican
3" Bubbler - The Gin Genie MkII

Postby northerner » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Just made a small batch of this and it is absolutely bang on. Takes me back to balmy evenings in Tuscany. Will be doing more for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:33 am

northerner wrote:Just made a small batch of this and it is absolutely bang on. Takes me back to balmy evenings in Tuscany. Will be doing more for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ditto; absolutely amazing drop, especially out of the freezer!! Thanks for the recipe.
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development