Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:49 pm

I just tasted my first batch rum with the edv493 yeast. It has crazy amount of honey ester in it not sure what that's about :think: Not sure if good or bad yet..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby effque » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Hey i have got 60L of gen 2 and 80L of gen 3 to strip its taken me until now to notice that i need to use raw sugar in the recipe instead of white how does using white affect the wash as opposed to raw some one told me raw adds a sweeter flavour is this the only thing different

I just bought a freshly made 25L french oak barrel made out of ex muscat barrel for my rums
would you guys wait for some further gens to start filling it up or just start working my way up from where im at

after gen 3 i will be continuing the gens with raw sugar

i plan on leaving the barrel for a year

also just read the whole thread as usual with most threads on this site great info

Cheers
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
2 beer kegs for storage or low wine collection
35L of 5L glass jars
25L french oak barrel made from an ex muscat barrel

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 am

Why ec1118?
2x7gm packet's should do it. Rehydrate and pitch.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TBird61 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Just done my first generation, I used some still spirits "Rum" yeast that came with my still, it fermented like a train and was done in about 60 hours. I did a stripping run yesterday and it tasted and smelt surprisingly good. I put 5 litres of warm water with 1/2 KG of raw sugar on the old yeast while I rad the still and then after filling up with fresh molasses/ sugar and backwash it was fermenting like a train again within an hour. I assume all is going well, I can't get over how fast the fermentation is going, we normally wait about 2 weeks for it to finish when cooking fruit wines
TBird61

equipment: T500 Copper
Alembic pot head

Postby TBird61 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 pm

After the first run I dropped the temperature of the ferment down to 22-24C to try and slow it down a little but just the same, 60 hours and it was all over. Just doing the stripping run on that one now as I type, the low wine has a slight yellow tinge to it and has a strong smell of the molasses, the hearts area tasted good, I'm growing hopeful that it might actually turn out OK in the end.
TBird61

Alembic pot head

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:01 am

That yellow tinge is from very slight puking. It won't hurt anything and will clean up nicely on the spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TBird61 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks, I thought that later on, I did hear some slight gurgling noises later on in the run but nothing earlier on. I did use some olive oil in the wash to try and stop it, should I use a little more on the next run? I have some ceramic saddles that came with the still in the bottom, would it help any to put some copper discs in the bottom instead?

The generation 3 ferment is going well now, not quite as vigorous as the first two, it has the occasional half a second break in the bubbles every now and then :laughing-rolling: Lovely smell coming from the fermenter

Another question, I'm tempted at the very end to brew a sixth generation using maybe all the dunder from the still and 6 Kg of raw sugar for a 25L wash (I have no more available mollasses after gen 5), is there any merit in doing that or will I be just lowering the finished quality?
TBird61

Alembic pot head

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Keep it seperate to see if you like it and want to add it.. There are a few doing all dunder washs on here somewhere..
Last edited by bluc on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:05 pm

TBird61 wrote:Thanks, I thought that later on, I did hear some slight gurgling noises later on in the run but nothing earlier on. I did use some olive oil in the wash to try and stop it, should I use a little more on the next run? I have some ceramic saddles that came with the still in the bottom, would it help any to put some copper discs in the bottom instead?

The generation 3 ferment is going well now, not quite as vigorous as the first two, it has the occasional half a second break in the bubbles every now and then :laughing-rolling: Lovely smell coming from the fermenter

Another question, I'm tempted at the very end to brew a sixth generation using maybe all the dunder from the still and 6 Kg of raw sugar for a 25L wash (I have no more available mollasses after gen 5), is there any merit in doing that or will I be just lowering the finished quality?

I hope you have a PH meter ,as the gens go on this can slow things down a bit,the larger amount of backset ya use will push this along too so ifn ya going for a lot of gens consider dropping the amount or face having to adjust PH.And look after the yeast and sediment wich will build up to thru the gens as well wich could also be regulated.I store 5lts of it in the fridge for future runs .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby TBird61 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go, I have kept my very end tails from the stripping runs seperate, I might get 5ltrs by the end of the 5 gens, maybe I could add those to the low wines from the 6th gen?

We do have a pH meter we use on the fishtank but I haven't tested the wash at all, what would be the ideal for it? Would I be raising the pH with baking soda?
TBird61

Alembic pot head

Postby bayshine » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am

I’d advoid baking soda mate, and get some calcium carbonate (gypsum) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby TBird61 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks, easy, again we have some for the fish tank :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TBird61

Alembic pot head

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

TBird61 wrote:Thanks, I'll give it a go, I have kept my very end tails from the stripping runs seperate, I might get 5ltrs by the end of the 5 gens, maybe I could add those to the low wines from the 6th gen?

We do have a pH meter we use on the fishtank but I haven't tested the wash at all, what would be the ideal for it? Would I be raising the pH with baking soda?

Between 4-5 PH would be a ballpark figure .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby TBird61 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:20 am

Thanks, I'll have a measure once this generation has finished fermenting and adjust for the next gen, if it's a bit off I'll split the dose over a couple of days so I don't cause too much stress to the yeast
TBird61

Alembic pot head

Postby effque » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 pm

Hey i have got 60L of gen 2 and 80L of gen 3 to strip its taken me until now to notice that i need to use raw sugar in the recipe instead of white

I just bought a new 25L french oak barrel made out of ex muscat barrel for my rums
would you guys wait for some further gens made from raw sugar to start filling it up or just start filling it up with the washes i did with white sugar ?

how serious is the effect of using white sugar instead of raw? some one told me raw adds a sweeter flavour is this the only thing different
Last edited by effque on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
35L of 5L glass jars

Postby JayTee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 am

TBird61 wrote:We do have a pH meter we use on the fishtank but I haven't tested the wash at all, what would be the ideal for it? Would I be raising the pH with baking soda?

Personally I'd go with Potassium Carbonate. It's way better than Calcium carbonate. I started with Calcium carbonate and it doesn't dissolve so easily and you need more of it to raise the pH
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby JayTee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 am

effque wrote:how serious is the effect of using white sugar instead of raw? some one told me raw adds a sweeter flavour is this the only thing different

White sugar adds no flavour to the rum. The sweetness will be consumed by the yeast. I'd always use Raw cane sugar in preference
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby effque » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

JayTee wrote:
effque wrote:how serious is the effect of using white sugar instead of raw? some one told me raw adds a sweeter flavour is this the only thing different

White sugar adds no flavour to the rum. The sweetness will be consumed by the yeast. I'd always use Raw cane sugar in preference

yeh i've started using raw sugar now but will 40L of low wines (expecting maybe ~8L after spirit run) that i have atm from white sugar be worth putting in an oak barrel or should i just keep it aside and oak it in glass they are also gen 2 & 3

i want to age the 25L barrel for a year and dont want to wait that long if its just gunna turn out shit can some one give me opinions on whether its saveable for barrel aging or whether i keep it seperate in glass demi's and get a few months aged and drink it early
Last edited by effque on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:29 pm

I started on raw. I now use white and like it better I age in a oak barrel.. I reakon it's awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:31 pm

After or before the barrel I like to let it sit with some French oak. It ups the sweetness and enhances the flavour imo. Just depends what I have going on if it goes in before or after the American oak barrel..
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development