Effiency

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Effiency

Postby Fatguts » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:34 am

My plan was to come from the top of my keg with a 2 inch fitting and then into roughly a 500mm long, 4 inch section and then continue on from there. Im wondering if the 2 inch port on top of the keg will reduce any type of efficiency or speed etc? Would I be better to cut out the 2 inch port on the keg and weld on a 4 inch ferrule? I am making it modular to allow for future upgrades but will be used as a pot for the short term. If the 2 inch into 4 inch works fine im happy to do it that way and its my preferred option but would like some thoughts from other members before i proceed. Cheers.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Re: Effiency

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:07 am

It doesn’t change either way, as the vapour goes through the smaller 2” aperture it speeds up, then when it goes back to 4” it’ll slow down, the volume always remains the same.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 am

Plus the 2" on the keg will already be nice and flat and level, less stuffing around if you just keep it as is. You could add a fill port next to it on the keg later on, or as I've done, a fill port on the side of my column below my first plate.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 am

I would flip ya keg use the 2inch for a drain and fit a 4inch for stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby db1979 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:32 am

hillzabilly wrote:I would flip ya keg use the 2inch for a drain and fit a 4inch for stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: I forgot about that option. I've only got a 1/2" drain on mine (wanted to keep the height down) and it takes forever to empty. A 2" drain would be sweet. Just gotta have some way of dealing with large amounts of fast flowing hot dunder if emptying straight away. :icon-eek: :law-policered:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby The Stig » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:35 am

Ive got a 2" drain on my 100L boiler and she empties in no time :teasing-neener:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Fatguts » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am

Doubleuj wrote:It doesn’t change either way, as the vapour goes through the smaller 2” aperture it speeds up, then when it goes back to 4” it’ll slow down, the volume always remains the same.

Thanks for that. Just what I wanted to know. First question answered perfectly.

db1979 wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:I would flip ya keg use the 2inch for a drain and fit a 4inch for stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im liking this idea. Time to head into the shed, stand in front of the keg, scratch my head and make a decision from there. Responses to my second question have been perfectly answered as well. I appreciate the advice from all.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 am

Mate ifn ya looked at some of the builds then you will get even more idears for boilers.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 am

Check out this post over at hd, it seems to suggest there is a penalty in restricting the flow, basically a reduction in efficiency and potential smearing and scorching from having to run the boiler harder to compensate
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=73455
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lowie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 am

:text-+1:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Lowie wrote::text-+1:

:text-+1:
And RC, I can agree that in a condenser an increase in vapour speed can effect efficiency but we’re talking about the top of a keg, very basic fluid dynamics says it will momentarily speed up but instantly slow down once it moves back into the 4” section :-B
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby coffe addict » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:02 pm

There most definitely is an increase in pressure with a restriction on pipe diameter but 2in will easily and adequately flow the volumes your talking about. I know of a 2inch stripper that produced 35L/hr (albeit for a short time) and was limited by cooling capacity not vapour pressure.
As for smearing the 4inch will sort that out but don't be expecting a 4inch on a keg to produce noticeably faster than a two inch if you don't increase the boiler size. As with pot stills the boiler capacity is what dictates the take off rate or put another way the boiler size and diameter need to both be increased to get a faster take off rate.

Scorching is usually only an issue with too much solids which is why bourbon makers often opt for steam strippers. Most other washes aren't as problematic and if using low watt density elements or gas it's easily avoided.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Boilers & burners.