Spirit Filtering & Filters

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Spirit Filtering & Filters

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Brendan wrote:
The actual column is a bit over a metre long. I buy my Granular Activated Carbon from Clarence water filters, however their spirit filter is basically entirely made of plastic...

I bought one of these clarence spirits filters a couple of years ago when I new about 1% of what I know now (mainly due to this forum) and using the good old turbo washes.

I thought this was actually a good unit as unlike the "z" filters this one never leaked.

It did make a big difference to the quality of the alcohol.

Makes me shudder thinking back to the quality of piss me and my mates used to drink. especially with the 5L store bought potstill we started with :puke-huge: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby mummymarshall » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 am

Some 6 years after this question was posted, i thought to let contributors know you are still very helpful to newbies.

For what it is worth, I went on ebay bought a few kgs of food-grade activated carbon granulates ($20). I bought a 2m stainless steal exhaust pipe ($42). It needs another stainless steel jug to contain more spirit at the top because I was sick of having to add more in the top, so I've ordered a stainless steel bike muffler as a large funnel/container.

I've purified 8lts of bad gin, and it is now pure Russian vodka! The still spirits solution is too expensive and not necessary!
mummymarshall

equipment: Basic homebrew BIAB boiler and Coopers fermenter...but wanting to expand with help :)

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 am

Before you use that much more, you should look into why we don't build stills out of exhaust tube, it has not been pervased when made. The inside of the weld may well be leeching chromium, a lovely heavy metal, into your product
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 am

mummymarshall wrote:Some 6 years after this question was posted, i thought to let contributors know you are still very helpful to newbies.

For what it is worth, I went on ebay bought a few kgs of food-grade activated carbon granulates ($20). I bought a 2m stainless steal exhaust pipe ($42). It needs another stainless steel jug to contain more spirit at the top because I was sick of having to add more in the top, so I've ordered a stainless steel bike muffler as a large funnel/container.

I've purified 8lts of bad gin, and it is now pure Russian vodka! The still spirits solution is too expensive and not necessary!

Gday mummymarshall, how about dropping into the welcome centre and introducing yourself?
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm

How long a 2" pipe full of carbon is need filtering at couple drops a second? I have a 2x4/4x6 and 6" fitting I could put on top. 600mm be long enough with a valve on bottom?
I have some neutral 4.5l at 95 that has a very faint off taste. Its not tails just a dodgy wash turned to neutral. It was ran once with 4 plates to 89abv then watered back and re run with packed section 4 plates to 95abv. And there is still a faint smell taste..wondering if a filter would clean it up...or should ai put it in strip it and spirit run again with next lot. I just dont want this carrying over to other wash. Maybe it could be my first spirit run through boka.. :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 pm

I used to dilute my first distillation for neutral runs to 40% and add the carbon directly to the demi full of spirit and leave it for a week or so,shakeing it each day ,then fit the filter screen in a large plastic funnel(wich catchs all carbon) and pour it into the boiler for the second run,its the easiest way ta carbon filter ,without really filtering,they call it soaking carbon.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting..and it removes fussels and other off flavours?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Read the whole thread, I referenced contact reactive carbon as it was marketed at the time. It’s the same principle just a different way to do it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks Sam and hilzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 pm

RC Al wrote:Before you use that much more, you should look into why we don't build stills out of exhaust tube, it has not been pervased when made. The inside of the weld may well be leeching chromium, a lovely heavy metal, into your product

What is this "pervased" never heard of it and cant find anything on google?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

bluc wrote:
RC Al wrote:Before you use that much more, you should look into why we don't build stills out of exhaust tube, it has not been pervased when made. The inside of the weld may well be leeching chromium, a lovely heavy metal, into your product

I am assuming it was meant to be passivated
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby RC Al » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm

bluc wrote:

Yep sam has it right, the term is incorrect but the info is correct. when they make the exhaust tube it is seam welded from the outside with no purging gas on the inside and you have no way of grinding it back, you might get some pickling paste on to it for passivation, depending how handy you are and how long the pipe is. This is where a stainless car system will rot out but generally after the installers welding, so most ppl never get that far to find out

It may be usable as is, i doubt anyone has done alot of research into it, i personally wouldnt do it, ymmv

If your looking for useable ss pipe, seamless is the way to go, if your out scrounging, look for stuff without a line running down the inside - its still going to be a random grade though
Last edited by RC Al on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm

ahh ok Yep now I understand. Happy to buy new do I just ask for passivated or seamless or something? just need 1m 2" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Also exhaust pipe is gwnerally not made from 304 or 316 grades of stainless steel.
So even if you pickle (passivate) it i still wouldnt trust it.

Length is not important just how much time it interacts with the carbon.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks scythe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

I'll also add that also the amount of carbon it interacts with is important.

How much do you want to filter at once?
Build you filter to hold 2x that volume (random number i just decided on) to allow for carbon.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Bought a pack carbon today was meant for 10l I had 9.5 washed it first then added diluted(40%) spirit. We will see... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fizzed like crazy when i added the spirit :shock:
Last edited by bluc on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Ifn ya not going ta re run it I would dilute to 45% as it is not unusual for it to loose a couple % or so with carbon filtering,as it has the added water from washing.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lowie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Carbon filtering definitely improves the taste of neutral, regardless of what its made from (FFv, TPW, etc). I run mine through the filter a few times if i feel that way inclined. I probably wouldn't have run my brown spirits through it until I read the "malibu" thread today, but now I'm going to give it a go all in the name of research! :teasing-tease:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Previous

Return to Accessories