TPW SPIRIT RUN USING T500

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW SPIRIT RUN USING T500

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am

Hi all,
i have just completed my first TPW spirit run after doing 2 x 25l wash stripping runs... :happy-partydance: this took nearly 4 weeks :))
I kept notes as I was going through and wanted to get some feedback on how I went... this was my first time doing cuts and will need to dial in the honker to get use to the smells.
Jars were aired for 36hrs with paper towel covering.
(the figures i have written down were a there abouts)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Re: TPW SPIRIT RUN USING T500

Postby Critta » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Gday mate that seems pretty close to what i get with the t500 my last runs were 2x 25l strip runs yielding about 2.5 lts each at an average of 91% so 5lts between the 2 for the spirit run. I always do 200mls of fores then collected 200mls i think jar 4 was where i started and finished at jar 13 for my hearts rest went into feints. Pulled a hair over 2 litres of 94% that was very clean. One thing i could suggest if u dont already.. start the water when u start the boiler and then feel the column periodically.. when shes getting real warm up top you are close to first drips i boost the water to max and let it reflux hard for about 30 mins then pull the 200ml foreshots really slow think it was just over 40 degrees it helps compress the cuts for me and i seem to get better results plus the other t500 mods help like the scrubbers for packing and the half inch copper to replace the milky plastic product tube. Enjoy it man im putting on a wbab wash on the weekend lookin forward to comparing to the tpw
Last edited by Critta on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critta

equipment: T500 with a ccvm build on its way soon.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Critta wrote:Gday mate that seems pretty close to what i get with the t500 my last runs were 2x 25l strip runs yielding about 2.5 lts each at an average of 91% so 5lts between the 2 for the spirit run. I always do 200mls of fores then collected 200mls i think jar 4 was where i started and finished at jar 13 for my hearts rest went into feints. Pulled a hair over 2 litres of 94% that was very clean. One thing i could suggest if u dont already.. start the water when u start the boiler and then feel the column periodically.. when shes getting real warm up top you are close to first drips i boost the water to max and let it reflux hard for about 30 mins then pull the 200ml foreshots really slow think it was just over 40 degrees it helps compress the cuts for me and i seem to get better results plus the other t500 mods help like the scrubbers for packing and the half inch copper to replace the milky plastic product tube. Enjoy it man im putting on a wbab wash on the weekend lookin forward to comparing to the tpw

Hey Critta,
thanks for that info..... my condenser is the copper one and came packed with the stainless steel and copper up the top...
I took 150ml foreshots from all 3 runs being 350ml total (2 x strip runs and the spirit run) prob a bit much but being a noob wanted to be sure.
with the stripping runs i didnt run it hard and fast... just did it as normal runs and was patient with them..... thought this might give a better product but i dont think it would make to much difference??
are you running your wbab wash through the t500 also? keen to see your notes on it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby Critta » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm

The stripping runs are basically hard n fast, i ran mine in the 60 degrees for majority of the run, yeah going to run it thru the T500 heard it makes a grainy note on the neutral so will see compared to almost a sweet note on the tpw. Your one of the lucky ones, wish i had the copper one but at the time the SS was all that was available at a reasonable price. Currently in the process of gathering my materials to start my build tho, got my 50L ss keg with 2x 2000kw elements, then making a 3 inch CCVM with shotty condenser and copper all the way except the 3 inch TEE piece. The T500 is fun but i am looking at pulling thru flavours on the runs now as almost all the essences and flavourings i have tried for rums and whiskeys just taste like bad attempts or chemicals to me.. I'll let u know how the wbab runs go and if theres any difference to the tpw.
Critta

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Critta wrote:The stripping runs are basically hard n fast, i ran mine in the 60 degrees for majority of the run, yeah going to run it thru the T500 heard it makes a grainy note on the neutral so will see compared to almost a sweet note on the tpw. Your one of the lucky ones, wish i had the copper one but at the time the SS was all that was available at a reasonable price. Currently in the process of gathering my materials to start my build tho, got my 50L ss keg with 2x 2000kw elements, then making a 3 inch CCVM with shotty condenser and copper all the way except the 3 inch TEE piece. The T500 is fun but i am looking at pulling thru flavours on the runs now as almost all the essences and flavourings i have tried for rums and whiskeys just taste like bad attempts or chemicals to me.. I'll let u know how the wbab runs go and if theres any difference to the tpw.

Do you strip your TPW without the packing in the column?

I have stripped and spirit ran, rum, about to strip my 5 gens of UJSSM and stripped TPW in this mode (essentially, the distill water mode). My rum, after 5 months on oak is super smooth and very hard to resist :happy-partydance:
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby Critta » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 pm

As im running the old version of the T500 and it still has the plastic end cap and parts I am running with the packing still in just running as fast as the condenser will allow without going over 60-65 degrees due to the possibility of developing leaks and the plastic leeching into the product. Basically doing the stripping runs to get rid of most the off smells and tastes from the initial wash. Cheers
Critta

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 am

:think:
hmmm... are both the heads and tails from my spirit run called feints??
do i put both of these back into my next spirit run? :text-thankyoublue:
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Critta » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:22 am

yeah the heads and tails are your feints, you can either save them all up and do a full feints run once u have enough of them, or alternatively i just add the feints from my precious runs into my next run be it stripping or spirit run i dont think it matters too much either way but i have read on here that it isnt a good idea to keep feints from a feints run due to diminishing returns on product quality so if u do a full feints run, the feints from that are just used for window cleaner for me.
Critta

Postby Rolls912 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am

A little off thread but I always find that the all fients run produce an average neutral. Am I missing something here??
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:44 am

Rolls912 wrote:A little off thread but I always find that the all fients run produce an average neutral. Am I missing something here??

i am yet to use my fients ...... but i would think/assume that the "hearts" of this would not be anywhere near as good as the spirit run hearts. what amounts/ratios are people keeping out of there fients run??? cant see it being much?
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Rolls912 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Well... I completed my second feints run today. And, it all went down the sink. Absolute cats piss.
I now understand why folks don’t bother keeping it. Waste of time, electricity, water and time. :angry-banghead:
Rolls912

5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 am

Rolls912 wrote:Well... I completed my second feints run today. And, it all went down the sink. Absolute cats piss.
I now understand why folks don’t bother keeping it. Waste of time, electricity, water and time. :angry-banghead:

If your doing tight cuts on your spirit runs then you should have a decent hearts cut on a feints run...
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rolls912 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 pm

17 jars. All s&*t! I’m going to stop collecting feints.
Rolls912

5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Return to Sugar wash's