Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Sugar wash info and questions

Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Postby shortcut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Hey I wanna make a sugar wash with a tin of Coopers stout lme in it. I have always used bakers yeast but there was a sachet of yeast that came with the tin.
What do guys reckon?
It’s a beer yeast I guess but I don’t know what that means, lower yield? ,more/better flavour? , same?
Also want to hear from dudes that have tried this and if they liked the result. There is mixed reports on the net and some bullshit about hops oil wrecking stills. Gonna try it.
Thanks lads.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Re: Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Postby gap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am

Depending on the Starting Gravity of your wash there may not be enough yeast in that sachet to complete fermentation.
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby deryn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:10 am

I have 5L of coppers lager whiskey sitting on oak at the moment. I used bakers yeast, two tins of lager lme and raw sugar. It's still too early to say if it's going to be any good or not, it's only been on 50g of oak for a month and a half.
deryn

equipment: .
SS T500
SS Alembic Pot

Postby username » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Why not just use the cooper dark malt extract which is unhopped? Then you are roughly following the MacWhiskey Method

Kit yeast is good for 23L at 5% abv approx, more than that and it will need help. Expect final gravity around 1.010.
username

equipment: 2" Pot on keg, gas driven.

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm

gap wrote:Depending on the Starting Gravity of your wash there may not be enough yeast in that sachet to complete fermentation.

Ta mate. You might be right. I did both the sachet and a similar amount of bakers as well.
Although I didn’t check specific gravity anyway.
shortcut

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm

username wrote:Why not just use the cooper dark malt extract which is unhopped? Then you are roughly following the MacWhiskey Method

Kit yeast is good for 23L at 5% abv approx, more than that and it will need help. Expect final gravity around 1.010.

Postage out here is a bastard. I hate paying more postage than the article purchased. Next time I’m in the big smoke I’ll grab a few tins and some caramalt. Been fanging to make MacWhisky for ages. This is a bit of an experiment.
shortcut

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm

deryn wrote:I have 5L of coppers lager whiskey sitting on oak at the moment. I used bakers yeast, two tins of lager lme and raw sugar. It's still too early to say if it's going to be any good or not, it's only been on 50g of oak for a month and a half.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: keen to hear how it turns out.
How much sugar did you use?
Wonder if I should bust in a second tin. Smells pretty excellent in the fermenter, I hope some of that carries over.
shortcut

Postby shortcut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 pm

It’s been 3 months on oak for the Coopers stout whiskey experiment, did a heap of taste testing last night. Initially I was disappointed because I could still taste a bit of a beery hoppy background but it grew on me real quick. It’s a bit different but quite nice. Me and a couple of mates punched through nearly a litre. We like it best with a bit of maple syrup and vanilla extract. Cinnamon goes all right too.
It will probably not make it to “Tried and Tested” :))
It’s got to be better if you can get your hands on some unhopped lme but I will definitely be making this again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
shortcut

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:02 pm

I have used (Mangrove Jacks 10gr packs) Liberty Bell yeast or M36,This strain produces light ,delicate fruity esters and helps develop malt character. :text-+1: For getting LME without hops,like maybe not dark but the amber one without hops .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hillzabilly on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I have used (Mangrove Jacks 10gr packs) Liberty Bell yeast or M36,This strain produces light ,delicate fruity esters and helps develop malt character. :text-+1: For getting LME without hops,like maybe not dark but the amber one without hops .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

They use malt in bagels and bread so a bakery would be buying malt that may be easier to get in bulk then from a brewing shop that is probably why the supermarkets still sell malt when they do not sell home brew .
wynnum1

Postby shortcut » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:44 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I have used (Mangrove Jacks 10gr packs) Liberty Bell yeast or M36,This strain produces light ,delicate fruity esters and helps develop malt character. :text-+1: For getting LME without hops,like maybe not dark but the amber one without hops .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Scored a couple of tins of Saunders from Woolies, they are usually sold out. There must be another Aussiedistiller bloke around here that keeps beating me to it. I’ll try the Coopers Amber next time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
shortcut

Postby Lowie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm

I use the Coopers Amber LME (following the macwhiskey recipe). Makes an awesome whiskey.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm

shortcut wrote: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Scored a couple of tins of Saunders from Woolies, they are usually sold out. There must be another Aussiedistiller bloke around here that keeps beating me to it. I’ll try the Coopers Amber next time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just got a can of the saunders the other day too... well the mrs got it, i was actually very impressed she got it without me even asking for it too.
Im interested to see how it goes anyway.. id never seen it in woolies before, perhaps it's always sold out! :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Sugar wash's