Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby dom187 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 am

bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ok Bluc, so the micronized maize and micronized barley will be fine for a UJSSM or this BWKO reciepe, thanks for the response mate.

Regards Dom
dom187

equipment: S/S T500
FSD 50L milk can and FSD 4" modular pot

Postby tipsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:16 pm

bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby dom187 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm

tipsy wrote:

I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.

This is the website quote..
"Micronizing is a "Short Time, High Temperature" patented process using the grains moisture and infrared heat to achieve conditions essential for the optimal cooking of starch and starch gelatinisation. During processing the grain becomes soft and pliable, causing the reconfiguration of the starch structure (gelatinisation). Immediate flaking further gelatinises the starch so as to significantly enhance the digestibility and nutritional value of the fee"

so it sounds like it is gelatinised.??

Dom
dom187

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm

You can grow corn needs warm weather so now is not a good time to plant unless in tropical area.If you plant a modern variety going to get a couple of kilo from each plant but it seems that the older varieties have more flavor corn is very cheap if can get off a farm corn needs water if grow and have to use town water is going to get expensive if there is no rain.Have grown sweet corn if this is left to mature does dry out could possibly use mature sweet corn takes less time to grow.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 pm

dom187 wrote:
tipsy wrote:

"Micronizing is a "Short Time, High Temperature" patented process using the grains moisture and infrared heat to achieve conditions essential for the optimal cooking of starch and starch gelatinisation. During processing the grain becomes soft and pliable, causing the reconfiguration of the starch structure (gelatinisation). Immediate flaking further gelatinises the starch so as to significantly enhance the digestibility and nutritional value of the fee"

Dom

Think it was taspirit grabbed some micronised and no is not pre gelatinized.. :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dom187 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 pm

bluc wrote:
dom187 wrote:
tipsy wrote:

Dom

Think it was taspirit grabbed some micronised and no is not pre gelatinized.. :handgestures-thumbdown:

No worries. ill give it a go for some BWKO and see how I go, thanks for the response Bluc
dom187

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Ran a side by side experiment this past weekend using USW-6 yeast. 1 tin of Coopers Amber Ale LMDE and 1 kilo of crushed grain + sugar. FV 1 had the tin and grain at 20c. OG 1070. FV 2 tried to get the FV up to 63c, but only managed 58c. (no temp control just pouring boiled water from the kettle in) OG 1080. Interestingly, when I pitched the yeast next day, FV2 had a bit of 'goop' on the top, but mixed in when I aerated the wort. Both are now bubbling away happily at 25c. I expect a better conversion if I can get it up to 63-63.5c. next time.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RC Al » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Had a look into doing this for corn, the malt extract tins & powder have no diastic power, the enzymes get destroyed in production, they are for flavor only :crying-blue:

Did you adjust for temperature with the sg readings?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lowie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:49 pm

RC Al wrote:Had a look into doing this for corn, the malt extract tins & powder have no diastic power, the enzymes get destroyed in production, they are for flavor only :crying-blue:

Did you adjust for temperature with the sg readings?

Yes, measured the OG next day. Mashed corn is a pita...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Mix some cornflour with water you will pretty much get the gist of what's in bottom of fermenter :twisted:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Beerswimmer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 am

I'll be stripping gen 1 of this tonight. I'm following the recipe, but mashing the grains before adding. It's easy, so why not. I'm using Vienna for the barley since I have a ton of it. 2 gens of this stripped and then some leftover wash(I make a tad extra and keep it in the fermentor) and will do a spirit run. I have a used maple syrup barrel that this will go in for about a year at least :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby dans.brew » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:I have a used maple syrup barrel that this will go in for about a year at least :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You reckon you will be able to resist it that long :laughing-rolling:
If you can though, its well worth it.. i tend to make this years stuff for next year or even the following.
Where did you score an ex maple syrup barrel? Didn't know they put the stuff in barrels :think:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 am

The homebrew shop had them. Used for whiskey, then maple syrup. Smells AMAZING. Maple syrup that has been in a bourbon barrel is ridiculously tasty. It's a Barrel Mill barrel, I hear that they require less time due to the heads being charred too. A year should be good in my HOT climate. A year and a half max here or it'll all be oak tea, well, whatever is left.
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby dans.brew » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:
Maple syrup that has been in a bourbon barrel is ridiculously tasty.

Yeah i bet it is, it would be hard to stop at 2 pancakes on sunday morning. :laughing-rolling:

Beerswimmer wrote: A year and a half max here or it'll all be oak tea, well, whatever is left.

Your warm climate would pull the spirit into the wood nicely, the angels may get their share and then some though.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:25 am

Hi all, great thread here and I've just finished reading from start to now while taking notes.

I've never attempted any grain wash of any description but really looking forward to giving this a go. I'm following the OP method but doing double (60lt) batches as I have a nice 75lt SS fermenter just sitting there empty.

I'll post some pics of my gear, it's x4 perf plates with RC top of this then across to PC/parrot. If I'm stripping each gen for low wines then combining all for spirit run/s, is it OK to leave the plates in place (stripping) and just ensure there's zero water running through the RC causing reflux? Or, would it be wiser to just remove the RC and plates for an open pot straight through? I was thinking I would then replace the plates and for the slow spirit run using voltage control and zero reflux. The tall packed section isn't in play as I've been using for clean neutrals for Gin.

Thanks in advance, I need to get some of this on oak!

Chocko

stack 07_resize_resize.jpg
PS tower 03_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:56 am

Leave the 4 plates in place and do a single ryn, it's what bubblers do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 am

The Stig wrote:Leave the 4 plates in place and do a single ryn, it's what bubblers do :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Stig, this is where I'm a bit grey on it all. If I'm bypassing the strip run, my method would be run slower spirit run on each gen wash, making cuts and separating hearts/feints. These hearts from each gen (5+ gens) are then blended and oaked, and feints blended as well for a future feints run. All of this is with plates in place and zero reflux.

Sorry for the PITA questions, just trying to get my head right.

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:15 am

You want some reflux, thats where the higher % comes from.
Have a read viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681
This will explain everything, once youve got oyur head around that you can modify to suit your needs.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 am

The Stig wrote:You want some reflux, thats where the higher % comes from.
Have a read http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681
This will explain everything, once youve got oyur head around that you can modify to suit your needs.
Cheers

Great, thank you!
Chocko6969

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 am

Chocko thats a very nice still you have there :handgestures-thumbupleft: gotta pull my finger out and polish mine up :oops:
Last edited by bluc on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development