Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby dans.brew » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Georgio wrote:I may even given the oats a quick toast next gen and see if the taste comes through.

Got a nice little bit of experimenting going on there Georgio.. love it!
I loved the rye addition to my last whiskey, so might just have to try this one and see if it can get even better.. :happy-partydance:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Georgio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Hope you fellas enjoy...also cant take full credit, the rye is stigs advice. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Well over the last 2 shutdowns where I have taken a bottle of my 13 month aged CFW everyone has said it is the best drop they have ever tasted. Thats not bad considering the average age is well over 50 and well seasoned whisky drinkers. Three have now said Bryan we want you to teach us how to make such a nice drop and they still can't believe it's made from breakfast cereal and baking yeast.

The recipe I did was 1kg kellogs corn flakes and 1/2 a small box of weetbix, 10 kg'd of sugar inverted and water added to make a 55 litre ferment. Put thru 4 plates on my bubbler and aged for 13 months on toasted/charred oak. 5 grams to 5 litres of 65% which mellowed down to 55% over the time period.

This stuff stuff is so good I'm going to put another 2 off 60 litre ferments down so I can get another 15 litres aging for the next year.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Plumby » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Just knocked up a 180 litre, gen 5 of this. Should keep my weekends busy striping all of it then doing a massive spirit run.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Well I decided to put down just one 60 litre ferment and I'll do some generations and blend the sweet mash in with the generations before aging.

This batch was 1kg of Kellogs cornflakes, 1/2 a small box of weetbix 10kg's of inverted sugar. I crunched up all the cereal and threw it in the fermenter then the hot inverted sugar went on one by one. Did 2 off 4kg's then a final 2kg's of inverting then gave the hot slops a hit with my homemade mixing rod attached to my cordless. Topped up the fermenter and it was only showing 1040 on my refractometer :scared-eek: so as I had some raw sugar added 1/2 a kg in and gave it a real good mix for a few minutes. Next check it was 1060 :happy-partydance: so went and checked the ph which was 5.7 :happy-partydance: temp was 29C using my dial thermometer where I have attached 2 off length of 1.6mm copper wire so I can sit the dial thermo at any height.

Added the bakers yeast and gave it a 5 minute mix to generate some air for the yeasties and within 2 hours it's bubbling away like mad.

I'm off up north this week so the fermenter is wrapped in blankets and with some luck by next weekend it will be done. I'll leave it for a week to clear and hopefully we will have some rain by then as my 5,000 gal tank I use for the cooling water is close to empty.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby 78Monk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Completely ruined my first batch of this. Had to tip the lot.
Rookie mistake. The fermenter I had was new and I hadn't washed it out or sanitised it properly and a weird chemical smell and taste came through in the wash and first run.
Lesson learnt. Don't trust Gumtree buys.
Putting another on next week.
78Monk

equipment: -Gypsy-
50l Keg boiler, 2 x 2200W elements.
2" copper pot 850mm column.
500mm shotgun condenser.

Airstill (RETIRED)

Postby fizzix » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 am

78Monk wrote:Completely ruined my first batch of this. Had to tip the lot...

Man I'm sorry to hear that.
The best food grade buckets are HDPE (high density polyethylene), stamped with a "2." You may want to check your bucket.
A good wash and rinse is all that's needed for a ferment bucket. It certainly won't hurt to sanitize, but it's not necessary.
Good luck on your next one.

HDPE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fizzix

equipment: 8-gallon stainless 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing.

Postby 78Monk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Second go is nearly done, sitting at close to 1.000 but still 'simmering' away (best description I could think of for the bubbling). Got a very dry cornyish cider/beer taste to it.
50l in a brand new fermenter so hopefully no issues.

I probably won't be able to get this into the boiler for about 5 days, will it be ok sitting until then without messing with the oncoming second generation? I'm guessing I'll have to repitch a bit of yeast?
78Monk

500mm shotgun condenser.

Airstill (RETIRED)

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Sometimes leave my gens 6 weeks and they fire back up... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby 78Monk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm

6 weeks, they'd be nice and clear I'd imagine.
Awesome this is good news. I'd really like to try the following gens without needing to add yeast, for authenticity but mostly as a small challenge.
78Monk

500mm shotgun condenser.

Airstill (RETIRED)

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:27 pm

When re filling give it a real good stir...i use a mixer on a drill get yeast back into suspension :handgestures-thumbupleft: and dont bomb it with boiling water/backset :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby 78Monk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Well I can finally say I've had a win.

Gen 1 CFW strip is about 60% done and what can I say... Its an aroma party here right now.
Its hot but it's sweet and very corny with a lot of malts starting to come through in my hearts (I'm assuming this is from the can of malt I added). So, so much flavour.
Pulled off a bit of hearts proofed it down with a little Pepsi and I'll be buggered if it's not a bit like jacks udl.

Can't wait to do my spirit run and get this on some oak. Also dead keen on what the next gens offer.

Bloody great recipe.
78Monk

500mm shotgun condenser.

Airstill (RETIRED)

Postby Handyandy180 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Just half all of the ingredients for 25L, yeah.

It is designed for a pot still :) done right, you should end up with something like bourbon, but not quite bourbon. You probably won't drink 'bourbon' after tasting this haha

Hi Zak
Been doing some reading about this wash and just wondered if you could elaborate on your post?

Something like bourbon but not quite (would you still need to add an essence?)

You probably won't drink 'bourbon' after tasting this (do you mean shop bought bourbon, ie because the wash made is far better, with abetter result once distilled?)

I'm not a bourbon drinker but my mate is, his favourite tipple is Makers Mark. Although he quite likes my Weetbix / Allbran wash with scrub turkey essence.

When the wash is distilled through an Airstill are we expecting a whiskey or a Vodka? both in taste and colour. Looking forward to trying this out on my next wash.
Cheers
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Postby scythe » Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 am

Andy:
Taste like bourbon but better and without the oak profile.
No essence needed.
And the colour comes from time spent aging with oak not the wash.
It all comes off the still clear, so it will look like vodka but taste like bourbon.

After drinking your own well cut spirits not made with turbo products you will find that just about all commercial spirits are inferior.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm

:text-+1:
I add a little rye meal into my wash to add that peppery aftertaste I enjoy so much
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Handyandy180 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm

scythe wrote:Andy:
No essence needed.
It all comes off the still clear, so it will look like vodka but taste like bourbon.

After drinking your own well cut spirits not made with turbo products you will find that just about all commercial spirits are inferior.

Hi Scythe
I have just answered your reply but think it may have been saved as a draft and cannot find it? Can anyone help? Obviously happy to retype what i wrote but would prefer to know how to access my drafts?
Handyandy180

Postby Handyandy180 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm

The Stig wrote::text-+1:
I add a little rye meal into my wash to add that peppery aftertaste I enjoy so much

Hi Stig
Thanks for the reply. Not 100% sure what you mean by adding Rye meal into the wash? As in quantities and where to buy Rye meal does it need any preparation.
It sounds like something I want to try can you be more specific please?
Cheers
Handyandy180

Postby The Stig » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

I buy whole grain rye meal (flour) from a local baking supply shop.
I just add 250g to a 25L CFW wash stir it in and away you go.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am

Handyandy180 wrote:
scythe wrote:Andy:
No essence needed.

Hi Scythe
I have just answered your reply but think it may have been saved as a draft and cannot find it? Can anyone help? Obviously happy to retype what i wrote but would prefer to know how to access my drafts?

Hi Scythe
Think my original reply to your post has gone walkabout. So I'll try again, many thanks for the reply.
I had a couple of mates around last night doing a mix of spirits from my latest Turbo 8 wash, Danny, who's the Bourbon drinker, and so called partner to this endeavour, (actually sleeping partner as he drinks but does nothing to produce the drink) and Mark who has recently got into distilling. So we did a blind test of Turbo 8 wash against Weetbix and Allbran wash mixed with Edwards Scrub Turkey essence.
Pleased to say the WB/AB was the clear winner. So when I told Danny about the CFW he was very excited. So now I'm waiting to put on a CFW and a WB/AB wash!
You mentioned the colour comes from ageing? Is this in a barrel or would Oak staves do within a drinks dispenser?
Once again many thanks
Handyandy180

Postby scythe » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Colour comes from prolonged contact with oak.
Either in a barrel of dominos in a glass jar.
Some say a barrel does it better because of minimal end grain contact.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development