Weetbix and Allbran wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Weetbix and Allbran wash

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:13 am

Hi all
Ive just finished my first Turbo wash and distilled through my Air still. I'm quite happy with the final result (although I found it very messy using carbon) and no doubt will enjoy the fruits of my labours.
I've now started my first Weetabix and Allbran wash, however I think I may have misread and over done on the ingredients for the recipe and wondered what the outcome may be.
I used the following

300 grams of wheatbix and 300 grams of all bran I believe this may be too much
6kg white sugar
1table spoon of golden syrup
1 lemon juiced
1 and a half teaspoons of epsom salts
100grams of Bakers yeast
topped up the fermenter to 24 litres

Can anyone tell me if this will ferment okay as I would rather stop it now than wait for the wash to finish. Also what is the final result likely to be?
Sorry if this should have gone on the recipe part of the forum
Many thanks
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Re: Weetbix and Allbran wash

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:01 am

Its going to be fine, maybe a bit too much sugar but thats ok.
Its going to ferment a bit quicker with the extra yeast but thats fine as well.
Take notes now and later when you run it to help later when your doing things again.
You might find this is better and use it all the time.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Lexanium » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm

i just ran my first batch of this through the still last night. its an incredibly forgiving recipe.
I only put in about 5kg or just under of sugar. and i roughly eyeballed the rest.
It came out great. ive gathered an incredible yeild ffrom this recipe.

Dont be too shy. Fortune favours the bold. slap ingredients together like your a demigod, whats the worst that can happen? you lose $2 worth of ingredients but learn a valuable lesson.

ffermentation happens by accident all the time, and stig is spot on, this is your first go with this, takes notes and this is the first step in YOUR version of the WBAB wash.

Good luck mate! im sure that wash is gonna smell lovely.
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Thank you both for your replies, very very much appreciated. Notes will be taken definitely. Thank you for the encouragement!

If I can be so bold as to ask a few more questions about this mix?

With the Turbo wash I had to degas once fermentation was complete and believe that would have to happen with the Weetbix wash? However if degassing by stirring surely sediment would be disturbed? Does the wash need to be stirred at all during the fermentation process?
I take it that once everything settles down there would be no cleaning required (ie part A and Part B) as no carbon has been used?
And finally, after fermentation does the whole system get emptied of settled ingredients and sterilised again before making another wash?
Once again many many thanks
Handyandy180

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 pm

sterilised ?
I do not know this word :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Hey mate, definitely doesn’t need stirring and as you said it’ll only stir up the sediment, just leave it alone and leave it settle for a week or so after it finishes.
Best of all though, have a good read through the wbab discussion thread, all the answers to your questions should be there already :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm

The Stig wrote:sterilised ?

Lol Stig very drool I must say! It's actual meaning is. Made free from bacteria or other living microorganisms. Though I think it should mean. Pain in the rear waste of time and effort for very little reward!
Handyandy180

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Handyandy180 wrote:
The Stig wrote:sterilised ?

Lol Stig very drool I must say! It's actual meaning is. Made free from bacteria or other living microorganisms. Though I think it should mean. Pain in the rear waste of time and effort for very little reward!

:laughing-rolling: gold. :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hey mate, definitely doesn’t need stirring and as you said it’ll only stir up the sediment, just leave it alone and leave it settle for a week or so after it finishes.
Best of all though, have a good read through the wbab discussion thread, all the answers to your questions should be there already :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Attempted to read through the WBAB thread but that nearly takes as long as doing the wash lol. Seriously though you have a valid point and I will get back to some serious reading and learn more about this. I'm actually doing this with a friend who doubt that the wash will work and would love to prove him wrong!
Cheers
Handyandy180

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Lol, just wait till you read the tpw or rum thread :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Lexanium » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Good on ya mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
forget about turbo sachets. theres really no need for that mess. Everything you need should be available in woolies. as long as its bubbling away, your in luck. Bubbles is the sound of happiness being made.

Like they said above, Use a hose and sphypon off the clear wash and leave the sediment ( i had about 4cm of sediment left over) you can use this to do generations (outlined in the thread).
Just get your hose to the right spot so your not sucking up the sediment.

I like to wrap mine up in a fur blanket, kiss it each night and let is sleep for a couple days after fermentations finished. avoid moving its contents at all.

I hope you can show off in front of your buddy. The threads are huge but theres some brilliant information throughout them.
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Postby Teddysad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Totally agree and when siphoning off into another container keep the outlet above the liquid level so it splashes - that will also help degas (remove the suspended CO2)
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Handyandy180 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Teddysad wrote:Totally agree and when siphoning off into another container keep the outlet above the liquid level so it splashes - that will also help degas (remove the suspended CO2)

Thanks for that Teddy
Keeping the outlet above the liquid level makes sense, although i wouldn't have thought of that.
Cheers
Handyandy180

Postby Handyandy180 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi all
Just a follow up with a few more questions if I may. The WBAB wash is still going strong and am sure it will be ready soon.
With the turbo wash part A and Part B is added to clear the wash to a clear liquid. Just wondering if my WBAB wash would stay wheatbix colour or will it eventually go crystal clear. If it stays the colour it is now when I put it into the Air will it come out clear?

Having read the WBAB thread I keep hearing Gen 1 Gen 2 Gen 3 I take it this means a second and third wash has been done without removing the sediment or at least not all of the sediment? Also if I were to create a Gen 2 how much yeast would be added as I think I read somewhere yeast wouldn't be required can someone help with this?

Many thanks
Handyandy180

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Left sit, it will clear naturally , separating into layers, like every thing distilling, give it some time to settle

When your ready, siphon it down to the trub, the remaining stuff is the yeast bed to kick off for the next generation, if you keep an eye on ph it should just go by itself, sprinkle some more yeast if it hasn't started after a day or so
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby southern45 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am

Handyandy180 wrote:With the turbo wash part A and Part B is added to clear the wash to a clear liquid. Just wondering if my WBAB wash would stay wheatbix colour or will it eventually go crystal clear. If it stays the colour it is now when I put it into the Air will it come out clear?

It won't go crystal clear, more a light wheat bix colour with no floaty bits suspended in it. Just leave it for a week once you think it's done before running it through the still. It'll settle out and you'll see a sediment layer on the bottom. Don't be tempted to add the Turbo Clearing stuff, it's not needed at all.

And yes it will come out of the Airstill clear (unless it pukes, remember to add your conditioner and boiling chips).
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Rock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Lol, just wait till you read the tpw or rum thread :laughing-rolling:

And there both worthy of the research time it takes sooo much information
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby Handyandy180 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 am

Hi All
Update on my Weetabix/ Allbran wash is as follows. Well, actually nothing to report as I think it has stopped doing its magic. I started the wash lunch time on the 10th, 16 days later and my hydrometer still hasn't reached the light blue spirit section, its been sitting just below on the red wine section but at the uppermost part of the red marker (hope that makes some sort of sense?). Bubbling seems to have stopped although there is the odd bubble now and again.
Is there anything I can do to awaken the wash or have I stuffed it by using the incorrect recipe amounts?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Cheers
Handyandy180

Postby Professor Green » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:37 pm

You should really go by the numbers on the hydrometer rather than the sections. It should read somewhere around the 0.980 mark.

Stick an ear up against the fermenter, you'll hear it "fizzing" if it's still going. Also, dip a finger in and have a taste. If it tastes dry it's done.

The bubbles you're seeing will just be CO2 escaping.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Rolls912 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 pm

Handyandy180 wrote:Hi All
Update on my Weetabix/ Allbran wash is as follows. Well, actually nothing to report as I think it has stopped doing its magic. I started the wash lunch time on the 10th, 16 days later and my hydrometer still hasn't reached the light blue spirit section, its been sitting just below on the red wine section but at the uppermost part of the red marker (hope that makes some sort of sense?). Bubbling seems to have stopped although there is the odd bubble now and again.
Is there anything I can do to awaken the wash or have I stuffed it by using the incorrect recipe amounts?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Cheers

Do you live in a cold or warm climate? What temp is the wash at?
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Next

Return to Beginners Questions