Thread vs Ferrule

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Thread vs Ferrule

Postby bubble cups » Mon May 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi,
I have this Mytton Grosvenor "wine mine" keg which has a Tri-sure thread fitting that measures 56mm with calipers in the hole. Is there a fitting that converts the thread into a 4" ferrule. It just seems like a stronger connection than a Chinese weld on 4" ferrule. Does anyone know what this thread is?
Or should I just cut out and do the weld on 4" ferrule?

Image Image Image Image Image
bubble cups

equipment: Hopefully building a 4/5 bubble plate 100mm column on beer keg.

Re: Thread vs Ferrule

Postby PeterC » Mon May 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Tri Sure call this a G2 R-plug but don't specify the thread used https://www.tri-sure.com/products-solut ... /r-plugtm/ Suggest if you wanted the stay with this then you could take you current plug, machine out the centre and weld it to a 2" to 4" triclover reducer. Just cut the cone at the right diameter. This would be easier to take to a welder than the keg I suppose. The other connections are a pressure relief plus gas and liquid connections like they have in corny kegs for beer and softdrink etc. You could leave them but the liquid connection has a tube you would best take out. Usually you can screw out the fitting from the socket and under the seal you should see the flared end of tube that you can just grab and pull out.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby RC Al » Mon May 27, 2019 6:59 pm

If that is only a 50L keg, I would save that one for low wines and find a regular beer keg to attach a ferrule to

Consideroooo a 6" connection for the column or fill port, for cleaning purposes, then think on how you are going to empty it , many add a Drain or use the existing 2" ferrule
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bubble cups » Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks PeterC.
That's one solution I didn't think of.
bubble cups

Postby bubble cups » Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm

It does look small. Cant see anything written on it.
How many litres is a regular beer keg and whats a practical size for a cash strapped newbie with a tig welder to start with. I do have two of these. I bought them about 20 years ago and have been carting them around ever since.
The plan is to use one 2500w element on four inch four level bubble cap and possible stuffed section with drop in gin basket.
I want to do gin and rum.
bubble cups

Postby scythe » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 am

Beer kegs are 50L.
Maybe use the wine-mines as storage/ageing vessels.
They seem like a bit too much work to use as a boiler.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Boilers & burners.