Long time coming

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Long time coming

Postby Lockyc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Ran two Coles citric acid tins to 20L but still wasn’t happy with the cleanliness.

Fully stripped and scrubbed with ss and vinegar, re ran with 50/50 vinegar mix and cleaned up way better.
Still left a bit of browny residue on the underside of the plates.

Ran a 10% 25L sac run and away she went.
Pulled 92-94% the whole run until I stripped tails.
Finding the equilibrium was tricky but I think the best bet was around 2400w or less

Some things that happened that I wasn’t expecting, such as bubble difference between plates (large bubbles up top plate, small tight action bubbles on the third plate.
Sometimes reducing the voltage would increase the third plate bubble height.

Flow is not what I was expecting.. May have something to do with the seals encroaching 5mm a side on the sieve plate (reducing surface area and bubble action) (plates started drying up)

Had some bubbles coming out of downcomer caps, is this pushing it too hard? Downcomer cap is around 19mm depth and so is the downcomer to sieve plate distance. Deliberating whether I should twim the downcomer.

I’ll let the photos talk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lockyc on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lockyc

equipment: 2” boka
4” glasser

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:24 pm

How many l/hr you reakon?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lockyc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Mate, not sure, didn’t accurately measure.

Toothpick size.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 pm

I would see how she behaves with a full load of40-45lt 10% wash or 40%abv spirit run,befor changing anything ,as that's the important time for everything ta run well,cleaning and small runs are not the average and will make ya still behave differently,so do not stress out until you have a few more runs under the belt,these things need a patient approach without changing too much at once,until you have got to know your still.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lockyc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would see how she behaves with a full load of40-45lt 10% wash or 40%abv spirit run,befor changing anything ,as that's the important time for everything ta run well,cleaning and small runs are not the average and will make ya still behave differently,so do not stress out until you have a few more runs under the belt,these things need a patient approach without changing too much at once,until you have got to know your still.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like your style. Practically first.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:12 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would see how she behaves with a full load of40-45lt 10% wash or 40%abv spirit run,befor changing anything ,as that's the important time for everything ta run well,cleaning and small runs are not the average and will make ya still behave differently,so do not stress out until you have a few more runs under the belt,these things need a patient approach without changing too much at once,until you have got to know your still.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-imwithstupid: :O) awesome advice as usual :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:33 am

Doubleuj wrote:

:text-imwithstupid: :O) awesome advice as usual :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:32 pm

The other thing is cleaning those plate holes,or de-burring the underside with a larger drill bit by hand only(electric drills with copper is a bad idea and will damage all ya hard work unless you are very precise ) and maybe even on top ifn they are rough then go thru all holes again with the original drill bit,and polish off with a SS scrubby .It is small details wich make all the difference down the line with every run,this job may require a six pack and a comfy chair to make bearable .With down comers an odd bubble or two is not a problem I see it a little at the start and end of each run,yours looked full and overflowing well, ifn ya had blow by you would see empty downcomer cups with no flow and the plate will start to fill up as the excess liquid(reflux) coming from the plate above cannot go down the downcomer because all your vapour is running up thru it . cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lockyc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Did a 23L run of ffv yesterday, chucked a bottle of 30% feints in.
Still performed pretty well, did bypass the bottom downcomer for a bit but got it to lock later on (no biggy)

At 2 LPH I got nine 200mL jars of 93% + tails
The jars smell sweet all the way through, the jars have improved overnight but I still detect sweet odour wondering if it’s unfermentable sugar and suspended yeast particles, there was a tiny bit of trub in boiler afterwards

Bubblers were eminating from the 56t solder as well :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby Lockyc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Fully countersunk the holes to roughly 3mm OD, top and bottom.
Be interesting to see if it changes much in the next run

Previously it has Run rock steady and predictable @ 93% glasses fog one by one.
Hearts made a good “g dropper”

Did a 40L ffv wash and decided to increase my hearts cut from 500mL to 900mL
The hearts still have a sweet smell at 93% but less so then heads/tails

Kept 500mL of pure stuff but the jars either side have a heady smell/ taste and a tailsy afterbite, will keep them anyway and see if age improves them well enough.
I guess I was expecting a bigger/better smelling/tasting neutral cut off the still @ one run.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I have had the first plate (from the boiler) fail to load on the odd run,with vapour running up the downcomer ,switching off the power for a few mins and restarting allways seems to fix it tho.Are you running the packed section or just 4plates and power used for the run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Lockyc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Exact same, the odd run, the bottom plate doesn’t load.
I am currently running 4 plates and a packed section.
Yes, turning off the power momentarily, loads the downcomer cap.

Usually run at 2400w, if I go any more, the third plate bubbles hit the roof.
Roughly 5mm liquid bath level, maybe I’m driving it too hard and the vapour speed is too high.

I could increase the perforated hole size to lower the vapour speed I guess, but want to see what these counter sunk holes do. The 1.58 (1/16th) hole size is pretty standard.

I remember bt1 suggested the same thing (countersinking) in another thread.

The RC has absolutely loads of knockdown power and hysteresis is pretty good at around 5 mins.
Last edited by Lockyc on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby Milky » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Is your bottom plate a J cup? Bender could never really hold the bottom plate until I changed the bottom downcomers to have a J cup.

No problemo since

IMG_20190612_191544_compress97_resize_79.jpg
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Lockyc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 pm

They are all cap type, it only happens once in a blue moon and is easy to fix. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There is a bit of difference in plate loading, but I think that’s normal.
Last edited by Lockyc on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am

900ml from a 40lt wash sounds low ta me,2lt/hr @2400wt may be a bit fast as well for neutral,I would be collecting at no more than 1.5/hr ,the other thing is playing with the packing density as this could gain you % abv and overall quality as well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Lockyc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:37 pm

hillzabilly wrote:900ml from a 40lt wash sounds low ta me,2lt/hr @2400wt may be a bit fast as well for neutral,I would be collecting at no more than 1.5/hr ,the other thing is playing with the packing density as this could gain you % abv and overall quality as well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Cheers hb

Going to try these new countersunk holes out and might pack a few more screubbers in. Aim the the magic 95%

Time to start fine tuning the old gal. :laughing-rolling:
Lockyc

4” glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Mostly we recommend 5plates and a packed section of 500mm for an outcome of 95%abv ,I like to double distill sometimes for gin and other infusions wich require the good stuff,a run starting with 30-40%abv has a better chance of reaching 95%,but above all go with taste .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills